“WOW” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mundaka is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #35 of 150 Restaurants in Carmel
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Spanish, Tapas, Basque
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between Ocean Ave & 7th Ave
Transit: Monterey Peninsula Transit Bus Stop is located right out front on the sidewalk.
Description: Mundaka is a Spanish style tapas restaurant in downtown Carmel, CA. It is the result of great friendships, a love of food and wine and music, and a long term romance with Spain and its culture. Open in March 2009, Mundaka continues to evolve daily with the creations of our chef Brandon Miller, and the musical musings of all our talented contributors. Mundaka aspires to be the hub for all that is tasty, fun, artistic, creative, and cultural in Carmel-by-the-sea. We look forward to seeing you soon.
St. Helena, California
“WOW”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I must preface this review by admitting that we were in Monterey with friends whose son had gone to school with the owner of Mundaka, so maybe we were treated a bit better than the average diner, but the food remains the food no matter who you are and our total experience was just fabulous. The room isn't awfully big and the decor isn't classy, The movies running on the wall were entertaining. The tapas were beautifully prepared, attractively served and totally delicious, We overdid it a bit ...... Garbanzos, Ceviche, Anchoves, Potato Bravas, followed by what I truly believe was the best Paella I've ever had. Sorry I can't remember the name of the wine our host chose for us. I do know that we consumed two bottles of it (served in tumblers) and it was a really nice Spanish white. We also consumed a bit of Sangria. (My wife did the driving back to the hotel). To sum it up - great food, funky decor. If I lived in Carmel I'd be a "regular". A bit pricy, but we're from the Napa Valley so we're used to that. By the way, the place is in the back part of a group of stores and not easy to find. Don't give up!

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

St. Catharines, Canada
“pace yourself and make THEM pace the meal and this is a great spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I like ambiance and thought the room was a dump - when your idea of decor is peeling paint on wainscotting you need a new vision - on the other hand my wife liked the room - (that may explain the colour of a couch in our living room.) They do have one fun concept - oddball movies being played on a wall without sound. The food IS very good. Unfortunately we came on a slow night when the kitchen wasn't busy. We ordered 6 dishes between the two of us and our waiter brought them out almost all at once. That is not how to serve tapas. It killed the meal, which is a shame because the food was good. I particularly liked the lamb burger. It came with a mountain of shoe-string fries and would have been a meal all by itself for $7.50. We went back simply for dessert on a weekend night and the place was hopping. Given the mound of fries with the lamb burger ordering any further potato dishe was unnecessary. What else? - silly tumblers instead of proper wine glasses but their plonk was fine.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Pleasanton, California
“Fun food and atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have eaten here twice, once at the weekend with my husband and the second time on a Monday with 3 other girlfriends. Both times the food has been wonderful. Personally I enjoy tasting a little of this and a little of that, but I might be getting to the point where I will order something and keep it for myself now that I know what my favorites are. The Ravioli is amazing, but we all walked away wanting to go home and roast Garbanzo Beans!

Servers were polite and fun, just the right level of attention and some fun cocktails.

Visited May 2013
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
“Another little gem in Carmel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I see other reviewers had mixed experiences. All I can say, is our experience was excellent. The waiters were very helpful and efficient. The tapas dishes were prepared beautifully. The place looks like any little bistro you might see in Spain, with wooden tables and chairs, and complete with a classical guitarist. I will be back in Carmel in November, and will look forward to returning.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Portland, OR
“Great for Couples and Friends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

European feel, great mix of hip and traditional. Great place for small plates to share for an authentic taste of modern Spain. We enjoyed our dae night here.

Visited February 2013