“Awesome stay but beware of super slippery stairs wet!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Svendsgaard's Inn

Save Saved
You added Svendsgaard's Inn to your Saves list
Svendsgaard's Inn
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   At the corner of San Carlos Street and Fourth Avenue, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #15 of 30 Carmel B&B and Inns
Sacramento, California
“Awesome stay but beware of super slippery stairs wet!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

I took my wife to the Svengaard Inn for her birthday Superbowl weekend. We really enjoyed our stay. We have a small dog and the hotel is very pet friendly. The location is awesome. Breakfast on the door step was convenient.There is so much stuff to do within a block or two of the hotel. The staff was super nice. The only issue we had was that I slipped and fell on the brick stair way when we were walking to the parking lot to load up my car. I broke my tail bone and and was in significant discomfort for almost two months. They should deffinatly put a sign up for that so someone doesn't suffer a greater injury. I would give it a 5 if it wasnt for that.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

220 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Orinda, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Whether a girl's weekend or with partner or family, this Inn is always our first choice. Location, location! The grounds are well groomed and the small pool is very clean. Staff is knowledgeable and very friendly. The rooms are incredibly clean, the beds have white cotton duvet covers, not some old smelly bedspread that someone else has been using! Lobby offers coffee, tea, water during the day and cookies in the afternoon. Room price comes with a continental breakfast that is more than I can eat so I put some items in my backpack before we take off for a hike! Breakfast comes with cream for coffee (Keurig in room), milk, cereal, fresh fruit, yoghurt, and a pastry. The Inn is across the street from Brophy's Tavern, a sport's bar, that offers great burgers, fish & shrimp tacos and more. Walking distance to Ocean Avenue and to most of downtown Carmel. Dog friendly.

Room Tip: Room 21 is very convenient and accessible for those who can't walk steps. High beam ceilings, ki...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
San Leandro, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

a triple winner clean Jacuzzi and fireplace like close to restaurant and shop and feel safe
garden is good for pets, worth it if come off months, free parking.My husband wants to return. free internet

Room Tip: go off peak months
Elk Grove, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

Great location, dog friendly...well maintained...we loved our stay we booked two rooms for our family trip. We had 4 adults and 4 dogs and had the best time. Great garden area for the dogs to stretch their legs. I would definitely return. Walking distance to shops and restaurants.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I expected more from this property considering how much we paid to stay here. We selected it because of it's great location in Carmel, and because they are dog friendly. The property looks like a motel, and the "heated" pool was cold. The room we stayed in was small and nothing special. The bed was very uncomfortable and we did not sleep well on it over the 2 nights we stayed here. They did bring breakfast to your room in the morning which was a nice touch. I would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Hudson, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

We only spent one night here and we were very comfortable. The front desk was very helpful and the cookies were great! Everything was within a short walk so no need to drive anywhere. They bring you a nice little breakfast to your door in the morning. Really enjoyed our night there

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

We stayed here only one night on our drive back from San Francisco. On our drive up, we also spent a night in Carmel, but at a different inn.
Now this place is not bad, but there are places that are better for the same price. It felt cold and sterile and lacked the warmth and charm of so many other inns that are all over Carmel.
When I booked the room, I chose the inn because they were dog friendly. I was not sure if we were going to bring our dog or not, but just in case, I wanted to stay at a place that would allow him. As soon as we checked in, they handed us a paper to sign saying we did not have a dog with us. I thought that was very weird. Most dog friendly places simply ask if you are traveling with your pet, they didn't ask, just asked us to sign the paper.
Breakfast, was not appealing. We left it untouched in the cooler they left at our door.
There was nothing warm about the decor, the staff, the location, it was all very cold.
In addition to this, when I booked the room, they charged me for two nights and it took them a month to credit me in addition to me having to send them a copy of my billing statement like they didn't even believe they over charged me.
I would not stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Svendsgaard's Inn? Share your experiences!