“Worst than I expected” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Watsonville, California
“Worst than I expected”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

I was there for an early dinner not so long ago with some friends, we had never been there before, to start I was driving so I could not have alcohol and the only soft drink that they had wad soda? Since I don't drink soda I had to drink just water and their sour mix. Which might sound awkward but the sever told me it was homemade and it wasn't. When out food finally arrived it was Luk warm and very plain. I had shrimp in a chipotle sauce which was probably frozen shrimp with sour cream and chipotle. I will never go back and don't recommend anyone going there!!!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

% Recommend
Aldie, Virginia
“Just average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

If you're in The Barnyard and looking for Hola, it is in the red colored building. The atmosphere is lovely, and the chips and salsa are great. The portions are so large they can easily be split. Service is decent. But there's just nothing overly overwhelmingly good about Hola. I think I'd keep looking for Mexican food in the Monterey/Carmel area.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
CA
“Favorite place for local diners”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

This restaurant is at the site of the old Thunderbird Bookstore in the Carmel Barnyard. It is great. They occasionally have Marachi bands. They have a good bar with tv's for sports fans. The main dining room is festive surrounded by floor to ceiling windows with colorful sheer drapes, star shaped pendant lights, and good views of the lovely barnyard garden patios. They open all the windows that surround the diners on warm days. On nights the restaurant is full it can be a little loud due to the tile floors throughout.
The food is good, prices are good, and portions are large. Although there are the standard mexican food items, the food has a central american touch or two in the dishes. Their menu is not a cookie cutter texmex menu. It has a number of dishes I have not seen before. Black beans are available as an alternate to the traditional refried beans, and cilantro rice is available as well as Spanish rice. The tamales are excellent and large although I would love it if the masa was a bit thinner, they do good fajitas, the seafood dishes are great, there are a lot of choices for seafood, the giant prawns cooked on a bed of hot rock salt are delicious and a great presentation, the chicken mole is terrific. You can order the mole sauce on enchiladas and burritos as well. There are several appetizers that make a good meal by themselves. There are several full sized veggie dishes on the menu, they have veggie fajitas. Our friend's teenager always orders the veggie style burrito, she loves it. They have a big Quesadilla menu. The grilled steak comes with grilled corn on cob sprinkled with crumbled cheese that is really nice.
We meet there with friends for drinks and dinner. They have discounts on Tuesday nights. Prices are reasonable, about the same as any other mexican restaurant. Appetizers avg. 6 to 8 bucks and a couple of them make nice meals themselves. The nacho platters are huge. The meals run from 9 bucks to 19 from Quesadillas to full meal platters. The choose your own two item platters run about 11. They have children's selections too. There is a good variety of both price and menu choices.

• Visited March 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Palm Springs, California
“Put on hold for take out, they left me hanging for 10 minutes”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2009

I called to place a take out order. I was told, quite rudely, 'you'll have to wait for that'. I assumed there was a line of people waiting to be seated, although it was a Tuesday. After waiting for 10 minutes, the woman never picked up the line. If a restaurant isn't managed well enough to handle a take-out order, I can only imagine the food quality and service. I live locally and won't recommend this place to anyone