“Absolutely Perfect. Private. Picturesqe.” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast for Two
Ranked #14 of 21 hotels in Carmel
Austin, TX
“Absolutely Perfect. Private. Picturesqe.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

I was completely stunned and pleasantly surprised when we checked in to our fabulous one bedroom vacation club room (not a member though) for a 5 day stay. Pictures do not do this hotel justice. The location was ideal providing easy access to Pebble Beach for the US Open and to me, this is a much nicer location than anything in Carmel-by-the-Sea, simply for it's stunning ocean views and quiet, calming setting.

Check in was an easy, accurate breeze. A nice welcome was the wine tasting in the lobby lounge. I think I found my new favorite bubbly there. The Caraccioli Rose.... Nothing better than toasting the dramatic ocean view and cooler weather than with a glass of cold sparkling. The hotel staff from reception, valets, bellman, room service, restaurant, housekeeping to the manager, Greg Messenger were all perfectly warm and polite and great at their jobs.

Our room, #318, was the choice room at this property. Parking is right out front for come and go ease. The room was impressive with an open plan, an unbelievable bathtub, comfy living space, kitchen and the best bed i've ever slept on in a hotel. All areas can be closed off with giant barn doors for privacy. I was totally impressed with the decor choices in the room. My favorite thing was the fireplace. All you do is light a match and then the next day the fireplace butler comes and gets it all clean and setup for you again.

The hot tubs are scattered throughout the scenic property, which I loved and flowers grow in shocking color and abundance everywhere you stroll. The view from the balcony was the icing on the cake. Beautiful sunsets over the coast to the front and to the side, was the soaring pine tree forest.

We used room servce several times. It's expensive, but we thought it was worth it each time. The Pacific Edge Restaurant and the lounge off the lobby were both excellent. Our service was fantastic, even on a full, packed night. Although it would be so easy to pop in to the nearby Safeway for groceries.

The heated pool is so much prettier and serene than the pictures show. Our little boy loved swimming more than anything. I loved the abundant access to towels and comfy chaises poolside. We saw a bride and groom walk by. A small wedding here would be so nice.

Carmel is my new favorite place on earth and if I went back, I would stay here in Carmel Highlands at the Hyatt. I loved the nearby beach, the shopping village with the Carmel Valley coffee shop that we popped into daily, great restaurants (RG's for burgers and Stravaganza for breakfast) were both great with a child. Next time, I'm going to make time for a picnic on the nearby Carmel River beach and a drive up to Big Sur. A bicycle ride (available by the lobby) or a hike are also on my list.

If you are torn between staying in Carmel by the Sea or Carmel Highlands, stay here. You'll be so glad you did!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

659 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

The hotel lobby and restaurant are very nice.

However, we were very disappointed in the room. Very small and dated. My wife and I (along with our baby), were all over each other for 2 days.

We were originally staying at the Hyatt in Monterey, but due to overbooking, we were offered the option of staying at the Highlands Inn.

The location of the hotel is excellent. But the guests are a bit stuffy. I guess for what this hotel normally charges per night, one would expect that type of crowd.

We will look to stay at an alternative place on our next trip to Carmel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

Rooms:
We were in a newly renovated King that overlooked the pacific and was absolutely breathtaking. Everything in the room was brand new and showed no wear and tear. The room was quite spacious with two patios. One facing the pacific and the other facing the pool.

Service:
We found the front desk to be quite warm and helpful. The bellhops/valets went out of their way to help you. Valet parking is complimentary but as the valets emphasized they work for tips. That was my biggest complaint that they were vocal on they are paid on tips, each time I went to get the car. Housekeeping was efficient each day. Turndown typically came by on the earlier side but if you asked them to come back later they were more than happy to come back at a later specified time.

Food:
We ate breakfast each morning at California market and found the food to be excellent but the service somewhat hair brained. Some mornings service was great some it took ten minutes to get a re-fill for coffee. We did eat one night at Pacific’s Edge and found both the food and service was excellent. We had Bart as our server who was phenomenal. The sommelier was very friendly and had a plethora of suggestions. (as one would expect) Both of our entrees were cooked to perfection and with the accompaniment of the sunset we could not have asked for more. The one drawback was the rooms don’t have A/C. Now I am from the east coast and the employees swear if you leave the door open you will be comfortable. We were there in early June and found it somewhat hot at night. I could not imagine it what is like in August. We slept with the sliding glass door open with the screen closed, but the option of A/C would have been welcome.

Facilities:
The fitness was certainly an afterthought , it is in a tiny room below the Los Lobos suite. We never found it crowded and has two ellipticals, two treadmills and a small weight collection. The pool area was well maintained, but no full time employees dedicated to it or anyone to take drink orders. Everything else was in good condition.

Overall, we would absolutely return to the Highlands Inn. We stayed here on the Hyatt Big Welcome Back promotion, but I am not sure I would stay here at room rates in the $500-$600 range. Overall we enjoyed the resort and its facilities and when in the Carmel area will be our to go resort.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Gatos, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

We are timeshare owners A t Highlands Inn. My daughter (18) was returning from a camping trip and was going to stay at Hyatt in San Jose, but when she and her girlfriend arrived in San Jose Hyatt it was so dirty and nasty that she refused to stay there. The desk called Highlands and made a reservation for them, 2+ hour drive at 11:00 at night. When they arrived at Highlands they were told that they must have the wrong Hotel. Maybe they should check at the MOTEL down the highway. Like they weren't good enough to stay at the Inn. When they told the desk about their reservation being made by San Jose, the night clerk said that they would check it out. By the time the girls got to a room it was 3:30 in the a.m. they made then sit in the lobby all that time. Mean while, my husband and I were on the phone until this time trying to straighten things out. Rude is not the word to describe this person. I was friends with the previous owners and I know that he is rolling over in his grave. Anyone what to buy an overpriced timeshare????? This isn't even the half of the drama, it was bad really bad for the whole stay.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

I had heard of this pros and cons about this property. I booked one night, spent less than one hour in the room and extended my stay for a second night. As a frequent Hyatt traveler I was upgraded to a fantastic bilevel suite with a view to die for. I travel extensively world wide and this room's view in my top 5 easily. I did not use the in-room whirlpool nor the kitchen, but the "ready, set, go" fireplace was a great touch, as well as the binoculars supplied in the room. The restaurant was expensive and excellent (60 page wine list). Free valet parking too. I'd go back in a flash.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Temecula, California, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

This is our second time that we have stayed at this hotel. Both times we have enjoyed our stay. I have read all the previous reviews and do feel a need to express that if you enjoy views, this is certainly the place to be. We were fortunate to be upgraded to room 102. This room has a small living room, huge jacuzzi with a window over the tub that looks out over the ocean. There are two bathrroms, and a large king bedroom with views of the ocean as well. It was a beautiful room and we were told that it was recently renovated.

The restaurants have amazing views as well and we enjoyed breakfast and dinner at the two restaurants and would recommend both of them.

I am very particular however, and I do think in reviewing or rating hotels if you say it is a 5 star rating then it has to be perfect. This hotel deserves a four star rating based on the beautiful room we were given, the service was very good, and the views are spectacular. I agree with an earlier review, that if you were not given a nice room your opinion might be completely different. So if staying at this hotel, spend the time to investigate which room you will be paying for and how close it is situated to highway 1.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Carmel, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

My wife and I got married here on April 27th, 2010. Ceremony in front of the fireplace, as the weather chose this day for rain. Reception and dinner downstairs in the Surf room, and clouds cleared and gave us a gorgeous sunset just in time for dinner. We put several of our friends and family here to make it easy for them to attend the wedding. The service was absolutely 1st class, and the food as well. They took into account several vegetarian friends and my wife's allergies to onion and garlic (try taking that out of your recipes) and served gourmet cuisine to everyone, no exceptions. All of our guests (72), without a single exception, raved about the food, the service, the accommodations (those that stayed there), and the beautiful atmosphere.
My wife and I highly recommend the Highlands for dinner, a vacation, or even an event (be sure to ask for Michele Costa). We will return, and often, and would never willingly stay anywhere else!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Carmel Highlands? Share your experiences!