I was completely stunned and pleasantly surprised when we checked in to our fabulous one bedroom vacation club room (not a member though) for a 5 day stay. Pictures do not do this hotel justice. The location was ideal providing easy access to Pebble Beach for the US Open and to me, this is a much nicer location than anything in Carmel-by-the-Sea, simply for it's stunning ocean views and quiet, calming setting.
Check in was an easy, accurate breeze. A nice welcome was the wine tasting in the lobby lounge. I think I found my new favorite bubbly there. The Caraccioli Rose.... Nothing better than toasting the dramatic ocean view and cooler weather than with a glass of cold sparkling. The hotel staff from reception, valets, bellman, room service, restaurant, housekeeping to the manager, Greg Messenger were all perfectly warm and polite and great at their jobs.
Our room, #318, was the choice room at this property. Parking is right out front for come and go ease. The room was impressive with an open plan, an unbelievable bathtub, comfy living space, kitchen and the best bed i've ever slept on in a hotel. All areas can be closed off with giant barn doors for privacy. I was totally impressed with the decor choices in the room. My favorite thing was the fireplace. All you do is light a match and then the next day the fireplace butler comes and gets it all clean and setup for you again.
The hot tubs are scattered throughout the scenic property, which I loved and flowers grow in shocking color and abundance everywhere you stroll. The view from the balcony was the icing on the cake. Beautiful sunsets over the coast to the front and to the side, was the soaring pine tree forest.
We used room servce several times. It's expensive, but we thought it was worth it each time. The Pacific Edge Restaurant and the lounge off the lobby were both excellent. Our service was fantastic, even on a full, packed night. Although it would be so easy to pop in to the nearby Safeway for groceries.
The heated pool is so much prettier and serene than the pictures show. Our little boy loved swimming more than anything. I loved the abundant access to towels and comfy chaises poolside. We saw a bride and groom walk by. A small wedding here would be so nice.
Carmel is my new favorite place on earth and if I went back, I would stay here in Carmel Highlands at the Hyatt. I loved the nearby beach, the shopping village with the Carmel Valley coffee shop that we popped into daily, great restaurants (RG's for burgers and Stravaganza for breakfast) were both great with a child. Next time, I'm going to make time for a picnic on the nearby Carmel River beach and a drive up to Big Sur. A bicycle ride (available by the lobby) or a hike are also on my list.
If you are torn between staying in Carmel by the Sea or Carmel Highlands, stay here. You'll be so glad you did!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 448 room luxury resort nestled in Monterey pines overlooking Point Lobos State Reserve. Oceanview rooms include wood burning fireplaces and private balconies and 11 suites also include in-room double spa baths, kitchenettes. Renowned Pacific's Edge Restaurant(dinner only) and California Market Restaurant (breakfast & lunch). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Tingo, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Venere and Otel so you can book your Hyatt Carmel Highlands reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Carmel Highlands Hotel Carmel
- Highlands Hotel Hyatt Carmel
- Carmel Highland Inn
- Carmel Hyatt