“Not a favorite.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
San Francisco, California
“Not a favorite.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2008

The inn is located on the coast, south of Carmel by the Sea. The setting is lovely, but it is quite isolated. We had a room (suite) with a wood burning fireplace, comfortable bed, and large spa tub. We also had a large deck with a view, but there was nothing to see, as it was quite foggy for the three days we were there. The room did need to be updated. The television was old, and often refused to work. Our biggest problem was the food. Our breakfast in the cafe was not acceptable. The orange juice was processed, the bread packaged, and the coffee undrinkable. There is a restaurant at the inn, but after eating in the cafe, we decided to avoid the restaurant. Unfortunately, it is a 15-20 minute drive to downtown Carmel. The inn also has a check-out time of 10AM. On our next trip to Carmel, we will stay in town.

• Liked — large spa tub
  • Disliked — isolated room
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2008

We travel a lot, and have traveled to Carmel many times. Sometimes we rent a house, but this was a short trip. We were staying at the Horizon Inn/Ocean View Lodge ( very nice and roomy especially for the price) but since we need a place to stay our last night we booked the Highlands Inn. Boy did we make a mistake! The room was really sup-par. Tiny, outdated peeling wallpaper, and no flat screen tv-Hello what decade is this?? For what we were paying a night I would have expected a nice bathroom at least. The sink was in this little hallway outside of the bathroom, the bathroom fan didn't work and there was only a tubshower.
The room was so small that with the placement of the bed (next to the door) there was no room for a second nightstand! The porch was nice, except for the huge hole in the screen and the traffic noise from Route 1. There was one chair in the room that was placed against the screendoor making it hard to get outside. We nicknamed it awkward chair as it didn't fit well anywhere in the room.
On top of the dreary room with the dirty carpet there was no wireless internet access. When I called to inquire I was told I could use the computers in the lobby- many steps and a hike away. Who doesn't offer wireless accesss now?? I was told I could purchase it ($9.99)
The restaurant was very nice as was the bar.
Needless to say we won't stay at the Highland Inn again.
Ick!

• Liked — restaurant
  • Disliked — room
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington State
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2008

The rooms are not well maintained, greatly overpriced and we will never return. Anyone going to The Highlands Inn should be forewarned that they will need to climb many, many stairs to get to their room or to the lobby. We were miserable with our choice of hotel.

• Liked — the website
  • Disliked — poorly maintained room
SF
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

Just came back from Highland inn, and I would have to say it is a wonderful place. The room from 422 to 432 are all very nice with bedroom upstairs and living room downstairs (since they have a preview center on floor one, so even the living room is actually on floor two).
You can watch the beautiful California seaside from your bed. The room is a little old but everything is very well maintained.
If you are not lucky, you can also end up in a room with only one floor and no view then I would have to say you are wasting your money.
The restaurant in the hotel is also amazing, we had some drink over there and go to Carmel to have the dinner.

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
denver, co
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2008

Hyatt has always treated me so well. I've been a Gold Passport member for 20 years and they seem to recognize it- even when I book through priceline. But this time I booked directly through their website so I expected to be treated as well as ever.

I checked in at about 10pm and was greated by a snotty desk rep. who seemed to delight in telling me that I will have absolutely no view (after requesting it). I asked for change for a $20, but at first he wouldn't give me singles- as if to say that that is below minimum tipping standards (I was planning on giving the bell man a $5- which I did).

The room was large but:
a) the first giant spider I let out.
b) the second spider was too crafty- so we named it.
c) the additional bugs I tried to catch and let out, including one in my wife's luggage. -not fun to hear my wife scream several times- luggage/bathroom...
d) the room had no a/c and was so warm, but:
e) the room was next to two roads- while highway 1 was loud at times, the road up the hill was right next to us so the choice was close the windows and sweat all night or be woken up by cars/trucks accelerating up the hill during the night and especially starting at 6am-ish. I chose the latter and was up by 6:30a, sitting in bed furious.
f) the unfriendly bellman walking so fast to the room that we couldn't keep up and we occassionally walked in the dark looking for him.
g) no fireplace (like other rooms)

By the time I complained the next day I already had the bags loaded in the car to find another hotel. The front desk person was very helpful and moved us to a better room and offered a partial credit (after I demanded it). She really saved the trip, but I was so offended by how one of their oldest Gold Passport members was treated at check in that I could not recommend the hotel.

PS- if you're paying the $500-$700 rate, the room/view has the potential to be wonderful, and the main building is gorgeous. So choose wisely and avoid the snotty night check-in rep. Finally, this is no longer a Park Hyatt, just Hyatt.

• Liked — upgraded second room
  • Disliked — bad check in rep., and first room
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2008

Had a wonderful room with uninterrupted view of the sea. A meal in the Pacific Edge is a must , although the sevice was a little too impersonal for my liking. Dined most nights outside at the Market restaurant, food was good but service could be patchy. Room service for breakfast was good, but pricey. Make sure you have a drink in the bar as the sun is going down as the sunsets are to die for

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2008

Highlands Inn is a good place if you're looking for an amazing view. The suites are nice and spacious, but could use some updating. If you're just looking for some R&R, then this is the place for you. My husband and I are in our late 30's and felt that it was a bit boring at times, but we still enjoyed the great views, our spacious suite and wonderful meals at Pacific's Edge. We travel to Carmel quite often, so I'm glad we tried it one time. Next time we'll have to stick to our regular favorites in Carmel by- the-sea.

• Stayed June 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hyatt Carmel Highlands? Share your experiences!