“Loved the Hyatt Highland inn” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Double Your Points
Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
SF
“Loved the Hyatt Highland inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

Just came back from Highland inn, and I would have to say it is a wonderful place. The room from 422 to 432 are all very nice with bedroom upstairs and living room downstairs (since they have a preview center on floor one, so even the living room is actually on floor two).
You can watch the beautiful California seaside from your bed. The room is a little old but everything is very well maintained.
If you are not lucky, you can also end up in a room with only one floor and no view then I would have to say you are wasting your money.
The restaurant in the hotel is also amazing, we had some drink over there and go to Carmel to have the dinner.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
denver, co
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2008

Hyatt has always treated me so well. I've been a Gold Passport member for 20 years and they seem to recognize it- even when I book through priceline. But this time I booked directly through their website so I expected to be treated as well as ever.

I checked in at about 10pm and was greated by a snotty desk rep. who seemed to delight in telling me that I will have absolutely no view (after requesting it). I asked for change for a $20, but at first he wouldn't give me singles- as if to say that that is below minimum tipping standards (I was planning on giving the bell man a $5- which I did).

The room was large but:
a) the first giant spider I let out.
b) the second spider was too crafty- so we named it.
c) the additional bugs I tried to catch and let out, including one in my wife's luggage. -not fun to hear my wife scream several times- luggage/bathroom...
d) the room had no a/c and was so warm, but:
e) the room was next to two roads- while highway 1 was loud at times, the road up the hill was right next to us so the choice was close the windows and sweat all night or be woken up by cars/trucks accelerating up the hill during the night and especially starting at 6am-ish. I chose the latter and was up by 6:30a, sitting in bed furious.
f) the unfriendly bellman walking so fast to the room that we couldn't keep up and we occassionally walked in the dark looking for him.
g) no fireplace (like other rooms)

By the time I complained the next day I already had the bags loaded in the car to find another hotel. The front desk person was very helpful and moved us to a better room and offered a partial credit (after I demanded it). She really saved the trip, but I was so offended by how one of their oldest Gold Passport members was treated at check in that I could not recommend the hotel.

PS- if you're paying the $500-$700 rate, the room/view has the potential to be wonderful, and the main building is gorgeous. So choose wisely and avoid the snotty night check-in rep. Finally, this is no longer a Park Hyatt, just Hyatt.

• Liked — upgraded second room
  • Disliked — bad check in rep., and first room
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2008

Had a wonderful room with uninterrupted view of the sea. A meal in the Pacific Edge is a must , although the sevice was a little too impersonal for my liking. Dined most nights outside at the Market restaurant, food was good but service could be patchy. Room service for breakfast was good, but pricey. Make sure you have a drink in the bar as the sun is going down as the sunsets are to die for

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2008

Highlands Inn is a good place if you're looking for an amazing view. The suites are nice and spacious, but could use some updating. If you're just looking for some R&R, then this is the place for you. My husband and I are in our late 30's and felt that it was a bit boring at times, but we still enjoyed the great views, our spacious suite and wonderful meals at Pacific's Edge. We travel to Carmel quite often, so I'm glad we tried it one time. Next time we'll have to stick to our regular favorites in Carmel by- the-sea.

• Stayed June 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Ramon, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2008

Just returned from a long weekend ( Sat- Mon) stay at Highlands Inn. I booked the stay for September, as the summer months can be cold and foggy, like SF This is my third visit to Highlands Inn and everytime the weather is cold, including this time! My Mom came with me, so we made it a girls weekend.

I had booked the stay through the Hyatt Vacation Club via the internet, as a promotion for their timeshares. The promotion included a $100 resort credit for attending the timeshare presentation. The promotion room rate was a deal compared to the normal cost ($600 + per night).

The last time we were here in a first floor unit and it was so noisy, must have been the kids jumping around, plus the jacuzzi was so noisy when they had it on.

This time, I called prior to arrival and talked to Danielle at the front desk. I requested a second floor unit with a nice oceanview. Upon check in, we were assigned room 316 and it had a fantastic view with lots of close parking (next to the building and underneath). Definitely try and get a second floor unit, the ceilings are taller and the view is undoubtly going to be better.

316 was just a bit far from the restaurant for my mom, who is 77, I was perfectly fine with it. I can send you a map of the property with the unit numbers, if you let me know your email address.

The lower rooms 519-546( near the pool, these are closer to the highway) are booked as part of the hotel ( I think they must be smaller units) and the units up higher on the hill are being sold as timeshare. They have sold about 60% of them. The grounds are nicely maintained and my Mom kept commenting on all the flowers.

Our 1 bedroom unit had a living area, bedroom (separated by sliding panels), dining table, deck with 2 chairs (these were quite weathered-needed replacing) and fully equipped kitchen with refrigerator, electric stove/oven, microwave, nice dishes, sink and dishwasher. I love the wood burning fireplace, its so cozy ( they clean and prepare the fireplace for you each day) and they have additional stockpile of wood outside. Also included is new Cusinart coffee maker and toaster, TV with DVD player and CD player/alarm clock.

I called to find out how to set the alarm clock, so I could get to the timeshare presentation in the morning on time and was told that they would give me a wake up call. Unfortunately, the call never came and I was late to the presentation.

The bathroom only had one sink and had a gigantic jacuzzi tub
( which my Mom tried to use and the jets sprayed water all over, so it was useless), separate shower and toilet. Nice terry robes and bath toiletries. My Mom loved the hand lotion and we were told that housekeeping could bring us more when we tried to buy some in the Gift Shop (they were all out). The small Gift Shop has the usual stuff, snacks, drinks, magazines, books, shirts, gifts, jewelry, etc.

Since we had the resort credit, we decided to eat dinner in the high end restaurant, Pacific Edge. The restaurant is gorgeous and you will want to go when you can view the sunset, it is beautiful! We were here last year for my birthday dinner and my entree was HORRIBLE! Whoever would imagine ravioli with no sauce? Its no longer on the menu, so dont worry.

The food was better this time, but it still is very expensive. I had the signature Roasted Striped Bass. Last time, my Mom had the Seared Day Boat Scallops and she loved it! The service is fine and it is definitely a great place for celebrating a special occasion.

When we made the dinner reservation, they did bring up the "business casual" dress code. We really weren't in compliance, but there was no issue, I guess there is no real enforcement.

The next night for dinner we decided to go to the casual restaurant, California Market. You can sit inside or out and the view is nice from either. The service was good and we were satisfied with the food, it cost less than Pacific Edge, but still somewhat pricey.

There is also the Sunset Lounge which has the same great view as the Pacific Edge and adjacent is a nice lobby lounge with fireplaces on each end. They seem to have a rotating artwork display.

The property has a pool, it's just everytime I've been there, its too cold! There is also a small Fitness Room, which I used on my first visit, its small and basic with treadmill etc. There are 3 outdoor Hot Tubs throughout the property and they just added an outdoor fire pit with seating and a nice view. There's a phone there, so you can call to order drinks and food.

Seems like one of the big attactions for this property is weddings. Every weekend, I think their hospitality rooms are booked for receptions. My parents got married in Carmel.

They will not pressure you at the timeshare presentation, they just want to tell you about the program and see if you are interested. If its not right for you, they let you go on your merry way.
I understand they will be replacing the carpet and have just replaced the bedding. The bed was comfortable and the linens were fine.

The Point Lobos State Park ( for hiking) and the Carmel River beach is just down the road, as is the Safeway store for groceries/supplies.

We went to the Monterey Bay Aquarium this trip, and it is nice ( I love the jellyfish) and its great if you have kids ( very geared towards children) . I cant believe they let you "pet" the starfish and other creatures. They have in and out privileges. The parking in the area is street meter ( you need change) or there are paid parking lots- expensive. We found street parking space with no meter, but with 90 minute limit, so we had to keep going back to move the car, which was a hassle. Last time, we drove the 17 Mile Drive, which you have to do! I would imagine the golf courses here are rated top in the world!

Since it was a girls weekend, we had to get our shopping in. The Del Monte Shopping Center off Hwy 1, Munras exit, has anchor store, Macy's ( you can get a "tourist" shopping pass at the Gift Wrap , additional 11% discount ). We also love the Carmel Plaza on Ocean Ave. Its at the top of the street, closest to Hwy 1. You will find Anthropologie (my favorite), Louis Vuitton, Sur La Table, J. Jill, Yves Delorme ( for linens), plus Bottega Veneta!

We usually eat at Il Fornaio in Carmel for dinner. Its a nice restaurant, good Italian food and the price is right. Also, there always seems to be parking, if you go early. Its down near the beach in between the Pierre Deux store and Pine Inn on Ocean Ave. They also have a small cafe/ take out in the back ( we've used it for quick bite for lunch).

Overall ( based on the price I paid for the room ) it was an outstanding stay. The unit was big for 2 people, the view was fantastic and it is always a treat to be able to hop in the car for a great weekend getaway.

• Liked — Loved the view
  • Disliked — Restaurants are pricey
  • Stayed September 2008
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2008

My husband and I decided to splurge for our first anniversary and booked two nights at the Highlands. Unfortunately, given the amount of money we spent ($700/night for a full ocean view), it's hard not to feel like we made the wrong decision.

The pros: The view was absolutely breathtaking. The hotel overlooks the ocean, and it's beautiful to watch the water hit into the rocks below. The bed was also really comfortable, with luxurious linens and perfect pillows. The restaurants were both great, though room service stopped fairly early in the evening.

The cons: The room itself was in dire need of renovation. The bathroom was especially bad. It was dark and gloomy, with wallpaper that was patched in places, peeling in others. There were even little dots of mold on one of the light fixtures.

I realize that what you're paying for is the view. But for the money, the dinginess of the room is really not acceptable. If I were going again, I would probably stay at the Tickle Pink Inn, which was literally right next door to the Highlands -- almost seemed like an offshoot of it. It looks upkept. And it's about half the price.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — the disrepair of the room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2008

...but absolutely perfect. I am bothered by the complaints about the weathered exteriors because the hotel WAS built in 1915, and I appreciate the fact that they have maintained the natural charm of the resort. Plus, the room interiors and the public areas have been updated beautifully. The townhomes have perfect layouts and, as others have said, jaw dropping views. I love the wood burning fireplaces and well-stocked kitchens. And like other Hyatt timeshare properties, the bathrooms are just unbelievably decadent.

I do agree with the previous reviewer that this facility caters to the timeshare owners, and the rentals truly aren't worth the hefty price. I strongly suggest renting from an owner instead of booking through Hyatt, as you will have a better chance of getting a newer room with a desirable view.

• Stayed August 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hyatt Carmel Highlands? Share your experiences!