Firstly If I was reviewing just the employees this would be a Five Star Review.
I booked and Bed and Breakfast For Two (Awaken) Ocean View King. The view described as "Breathtaking views of Carmel’s rugged Big Sur coastline and Point Lobos State Park....." We were given room 519 which is the lowest (height wise) room available, we could barely see the sea - I've attached photos for all to see.
The other part of my review relates to breakfast - we booked "inclusive breakfast" - on arrival we were told the included breakfast was Continental Only - anything else and you would have to pay the extra charge - I accepted this and assumed I hadn't read the booking correctly. We went to have breakfast and were told there is no Continental Breakfast during the week - only at weekends. My wife had only toast and a tea and I had bacon and eggs with a coffee - this wasn't the breakfast I was expecting! The bill was $34 and then we were told the allowance for Breakfast was $36 total for 2 people. On checking the booking details it does not state anything about an allowance or any mention of Inclusive Continental Breakfast. It left a bad taste on our stay.
Whilst writing we were also charged $22 for a Resort Fee it states on their website what this includes "The fee covers the following items: Wireless internet access, business center, incoming/outgoing faxes, local telephone calls, 800/888 telephone surcharges, StayFit fitness center access, bike rental, daily newspaper, daily turn-down (including bottled water), in-room coffee and tea, laundry facilities, firewood, in-room safe, and concierge services, and hotel amenity access."
This is one of seven hotels we are staying at on this trip - it is the only one to charge for an In-room safe or concierge services, contrary to the Breakfast and Ocean View I knew about this charge when I booked the room - so no complaint from me, just a quizzical look from my wife!
Although it does state that these items are included in the Resort Fee, they are also included within the Room Amenities for the room - Wood-burning fireplace, Iron/ironing board, Coffee maker, Wireless Internet Data port, In-room safe, Daily newspaper - maybe I paid twice?
You will also need to ask for the wifi key to gain access to a service you have paid for.
It does also state that you will receive "Aquafresh® Extreme Clean® Toothpaste Amenities" we didn't but it would be puerile to complain about toothpaste!
I completed the feedback form but to date have heard nothing back. I have been charged for services I didn't receive and the Hyatt Carmel Highlands, have decided to ignore my problems.
I will not be returning nor will my Hyatt Gold Passport be used in other Hyatt Hotels.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 448 room luxury resort nestled in Monterey pines overlooking Point Lobos State Reserve. Oceanview rooms include wood burning fireplaces and private balconies and 11 suites also include in-room double spa baths, kitchenettes. Renowned Pacific's Edge Restaurant(dinner only) and California Market Restaurant (breakfast & lunch). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Tingo, Travelocity, Otel, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Hyatt Carmel Highlands reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Carmel Highlands Hotel Carmel
- Highlands Hotel Hyatt Carmel
- Carmel Highland Inn
- Carmel Hyatt