“Breakfast & Ocean View Not As Expected” 2 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast for Two
Ranked #15 of 21 hotels in Carmel
Dover, United Kingdom
“Breakfast & Ocean View Not As Expected”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

Firstly If I was reviewing just the employees this would be a Five Star Review.

I booked and Bed and Breakfast For Two (Awaken) Ocean View King. The view described as "Breathtaking views of Carmel’s rugged Big Sur coastline and Point Lobos State Park....." We were given room 519 which is the lowest (height wise) room available, we could barely see the sea - I've attached photos for all to see.

The other part of my review relates to breakfast - we booked "inclusive breakfast" - on arrival we were told the included breakfast was Continental Only - anything else and you would have to pay the extra charge - I accepted this and assumed I hadn't read the booking correctly. We went to have breakfast and were told there is no Continental Breakfast during the week - only at weekends. My wife had only toast and a tea and I had bacon and eggs with a coffee - this wasn't the breakfast I was expecting! The bill was $34 and then we were told the allowance for Breakfast was $36 total for 2 people. On checking the booking details it does not state anything about an allowance or any mention of Inclusive Continental Breakfast. It left a bad taste on our stay.

Whilst writing we were also charged $22 for a Resort Fee it states on their website what this includes "The fee covers the following items: Wireless internet access, business center, incoming/outgoing faxes, local telephone calls, 800/888 telephone surcharges, StayFit fitness center access, bike rental, daily newspaper, daily turn-down (including bottled water), in-room coffee and tea, laundry facilities, firewood, in-room safe, and concierge services, and hotel amenity access."

This is one of seven hotels we are staying at on this trip - it is the only one to charge for an In-room safe or concierge services, contrary to the Breakfast and Ocean View I knew about this charge when I booked the room - so no complaint from me, just a quizzical look from my wife!

Although it does state that these items are included in the Resort Fee, they are also included within the Room Amenities for the room - Wood-burning fireplace, Iron/ironing board, Coffee maker, Wireless Internet Data port, In-room safe, Daily newspaper - maybe I paid twice?

You will also need to ask for the wifi key to gain access to a service you have paid for.

It does also state that you will receive "Aquafresh® Extreme Clean® Toothpaste Amenities" we didn't but it would be puerile to complain about toothpaste!

I completed the feedback form but to date have heard nothing back. I have been charged for services I didn't receive and the Hyatt Carmel Highlands, have decided to ignore my problems.

I will not be returning nor will my Hyatt Gold Passport be used in other Hyatt Hotels.

Room Tip: Reject Room 519 as an Ocean View
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

644 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

The Hyatt Carmel Highlands is as good as a Hyatt Place or a Hampton Inn, plus a fireplace, a horrible bed, and terrible insulation. The main problem is the hotel is a category six hotel (6/7), and the room was $700 a night, and thus it should be held to the highest standards. Therefore, our stay there was extremely disappointing.

Pros:
. Beautiful Carmel
. Fireplace
. Big balcony
. Prosecco glass offered at reception (in plastic glass)

Cons:
. Old property in need of renovation - must have been nice in the early 80's
. Fireplace aside, very ordinary room
. Barely average bathroom, with the same bathtub you would encounter in a 2-star hotel
. Bathtub's drainstopper was half broken and crap
. Worst insulation ever - have a video showing a strong wind sipping through the door (while it was not windy outside); similar to a fan at half speed, blowing constantly through every side of the door. I'll try to post a video showing this. Of course, woke up sick in the morning
. Terrible bed: bed has a humongous (5-inch?) non-removable pillow-top which destroys your back after two hours
. Barren balcony, not really usable
. Were supposed to get an ocean-view room; but we received what I would define as a half-ocean view room. Proper ocean-view rooms do exist. Our room was similar to the garden-view room in the level below us, with the difference that our view was not fully covered by the trees
. TV was broken upon arrival; gotit fixed on the 2nd day

Service related cons:
. Service knocked on door at 9am on a Sunday, even though we were checking out that day
. Jacuzzi area was dirty and had no towels
. Ran out of matches (important for the fireplace). After the first night I purposefully left the matchbox open for the hotel staff to notice it only had two matches left; they failed to notice

In short, totally unacceptable for a $700 room in a four star resort.

It should not be classified as a Hyatt category six hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
noco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

There aren't many lovely lodging choices in the Carmel area. Perhaps Monterey has a few swanky hotels, but none with a view and location like this Hyatt. And if you limit yourself to the Carmel area, my observation during out trip was that you can easily end up in a hole by the beach. So here's what you need to know. If you're a family with young children, this place totally works. We stayed in a room with a kitchen and an upstairs bedroom with a King bed and a giant bathroom. There was a 2nd bathroom downstairs. The bedroom was open to the room below which makes early bedtime a little complex but not a deal breaker. The pool was good enough for children. 3.5 feet was the shallow end. If you're looking for a pretty place to eat a meal, there is no better view than that from the restaurants at this hotel. Don't bother going elsewhere if a view is what you want. The grounds are well kept and pretty. And while the rooms and buildings are older and not glossy, they were really just right. Paired with the spectacular service from every single employee we encountered at this property, this Hyatt is the place to stay when visiting the Carmel area.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
CarmelHighlands, Manager at Hyatt Carmel Highlands, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
We are so happy you enjoyed the wonderful views and great location! We thank you for your review and we sincerely hope you will visit us again.
Sunny Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

We spent a weekend recently (3/1-3/2014) at this resort. We'd received an offer to stay at a discounted rate (with a commitment to sit through their 90 minute timeshare presentation).

We were pleasantly greeted upon arrival. The main building is a lodge-type look with huge fireplaces. Check in was painless. Their public restrooms are dated and dank. - not a great first impression.

We ate breakfast at their California Market restaurant. Because it was a rainy weekend, we couldn't sit outside and take advantage of the view. The food was ok - not the best, not the worst - my sister was served a glass of old tomato juice (which should have been noticed by either the waiter or whomever poured it, because it was so old it was carbonated). We did not eat in another restaurant while staying there.

Our room was a studio condo (which a screen partition to block out the living room area). We were told that our room was halfway thru the update that the property is undergoing. During our timeshare tour, we were shown an updated room and there wasn't much difference other than TV placement and different chairs.

My sister slept on the pull out couch while my husband and I had the king size bed. If it matters, there is one TV which can't be viewed while in the bed IF the partition is closed.

The fireplace and plentiful wood right outside the door is a great touch, especially in Carmel, which is typically chilly. The inroom coffee machine and local coffees was nice, except it would have been better to have creamer instead of those horrid powdered creamer packets. These rooms typically cost $400-500/night -- I can't imagine paying that kind of money and not having actual liquid creamer for my coffee in the morning. This is easily corrected, but a big miss in my opinion. Touches like this is what set brands like the Four Seasons, St Regis, Ritz, etc apart in the luxury market.

The property is located on a hill. If you have mobility issues, this is not for you. Narrow winding paths lead you to your room. There are plenty of steps and stairs, uneven walkways. It's lovely, but those requiring assistance would find this quite challenging.

If you were hoping to park your car for your stay in Carmel and have a nice walk into town, this is not your hotel. The walk would be along a very busy highway (and about 5 miles away).

Due to the weather during our stay, we didn't explore the property nor outdoor amenities such as the pool.

Summary: for the discounted price paid, this was a very good option for us. We would not consider returning at the posted rates.

Room Tip: Ask for a front row room to take advantage of the spectacular central CA coast
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We appreciate your feedback and will look into your comments. We sincerely hope you will join us again.
Laredo, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

I saw so many pictures from web site. Also did reviews, attractions, places to dine as well as temperatures at resort. The drive passing Carmel Valley is awesome but the driveway up to Hyatt Highland is amazing and such a welcoming crew at front. I can say I loved it so much that. I am now family too. :) Thx Highland

Room Tip: All 2nd and 3rd floor rooms will have ocean view, just different angle :)
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
CarmelHighlands, Manager at Hyatt Carmel Highlands, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Thank you for the wonderful review! We are so happy that you enjoyed a wonderful stay with us. Thank you for the recommendations for the oceanview rooms as well! We sincerely hope you visit us again.
Yuba City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

The Hyatt Carmel Highlands has one major asset; the location offers fantastic views of the rugged California coastline. We had a large one-bedroom unit that was a great place to snuggle down for romantic evenings. We especially enjoyed the in-room wood fireplace, the in-room kitchen and the beds were quite comfortable. The property also has a decent exercise room. The down side is that this is an older property that doesn't look great from the outside even with nicely maintained grounds. Expensive golf clubs are a mainstay of the area. Downtown Carmel is an understated beauty. While there is great natural beauty in the area, I'd recommend the hotel only for a 1-2 night stay. Be forewarned, there are many stairs since the Hyatt is built on a hillside.

Room Tip: Request a room with a good view of the coastline. October usually means great weather.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so happy that you enjoyed the stunning views along with the wood-burning fireplaces. It definitely makes for a romantic stay! We sincerely hope you visit us again and thank you for the great review.
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

I've been looking for a regular place to stay when visiting Carmel on business. I tried this location because of the Hyatt affiliation.

First, the location is superb. The hotel is located high up on cliffs overlooking the Point Lobos state reserve. Views and sound of crashing waves abound. Leave the doors open to hear the ocean at night is good, but there is a bit of traffic noise due to the proximity to the road.

The common rooms are very nice with comfy seating and wood burning fireplaces. There are a couple of restaurants (one fine dining, one casual) and indoor/outdoor lounges for watching the sunset. The sunset lounge had a pretty good menu and $15 cocktails. I did note that food service ends at 9:30 (8:30 in the restaurant), which could be disappointing for late arrivals.

The property is spread out -- a series of low-lying buildings spread over cliffs. In some cases, guests hike a bit to get to their rooms (but that's what enables the great views). There are three hot-tub locations, and at least one pool (heater).

Like a lot of places in Carmel/Monterey, my room was a bit shabby and lacked modern conveniences. I had a King ocean view with fireplace. Important for the business traveler -- definitely not enough electrical outlets and dim lighting. There was a 42" flat panel TV, a small desk area, an oddly configured bathroom setup (toilet and tub/shower in one room, cramped sink/mirror in the hallway). There was wifi; strong signal from my room.

The staff was friendly and efficient. I encountered the valet, front-desk, and lounge servers.

My room rate was $375. I felt like I paid a lot for a regular sized but shabby hotel room with awesome views.

Room Tip: The rooms closest to the ocean have great views of the water and crashing waves, but the traffic noi...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. We're so happy that you enjoyed the wonderful location and sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your room. We appreciate your review as it helps us to see what you enjoyed and where we can improve. We sincerely hope you visit us again.

Been to Hyatt Carmel Highlands? Share your experiences!