The Hyatt Carmel Highlands is as good as a Hyatt Place or a Hampton Inn, plus a fireplace, a horrible bed, and terrible insulation. The main problem is the hotel is a category six hotel (6/7), and the room was $700 a night, and thus it should be held to the highest standards. Therefore, our stay there was extremely disappointing.
. Beautiful Carmel
. Big balcony
. Prosecco glass offered at reception (in plastic glass)
. Old property in need of renovation - must have been nice in the early 80's
. Fireplace aside, very ordinary room
. Barely average bathroom, with the same bathtub you would encounter in a 2-star hotel
. Bathtub's drainstopper was half broken and crap
. Worst insulation ever - have a video showing a strong wind sipping through the door (while it was not windy outside); similar to a fan at half speed, blowing constantly through every side of the door. I'll try to post a video showing this. Of course, woke up sick in the morning
. Terrible bed: bed has a humongous (5-inch?) non-removable pillow-top which destroys your back after two hours
. Barren balcony, not really usable
. Were supposed to get an ocean-view room; but we received what I would define as a half-ocean view room. Proper ocean-view rooms do exist. Our room was similar to the garden-view room in the level below us, with the difference that our view was not fully covered by the trees
. TV was broken upon arrival; gotit fixed on the 2nd day
Service related cons:
. Service knocked on door at 9am on a Sunday, even though we were checking out that day
. Jacuzzi area was dirty and had no towels
. Ran out of matches (important for the fireplace). After the first night I purposefully left the matchbox open for the hotel staff to notice it only had two matches left; they failed to notice
In short, totally unacceptable for a $700 room in a four star resort.
It should not be classified as a Hyatt category six hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 448 room luxury resort nestled in Monterey pines overlooking Point Lobos State Reserve. Oceanview rooms include wood burning fireplaces and private balconies and 11 suites also include in-room double spa baths, kitchenettes. Renowned Pacific's Edge Restaurant(dinner only) and California Market Restaurant (breakfast & lunch). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Hotel.de, Orbitz, Otel and Jetsetter so you can book your Hyatt Carmel Highlands reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Carmel Highlands Hotel Carmel
- Highlands Hotel Hyatt Carmel
- Carmel Highland Inn
- Carmel Hyatt