I've been looking for a regular place to stay when visiting Carmel on business. I tried this location because of the Hyatt affiliation.
First, the location is superb. The hotel is located high up on cliffs overlooking the Point Lobos state reserve. Views and sound of crashing waves abound. Leave the doors open to hear the ocean at night is good, but there is a bit of traffic noise due to the proximity to the road.
The common rooms are very nice with comfy seating and wood burning fireplaces. There are a couple of restaurants (one fine dining, one casual) and indoor/outdoor lounges for watching the sunset. The sunset lounge had a pretty good menu and $15 cocktails. I did note that food service ends at 9:30 (8:30 in the restaurant), which could be disappointing for late arrivals.
The property is spread out -- a series of low-lying buildings spread over cliffs. In some cases, guests hike a bit to get to their rooms (but that's what enables the great views). There are three hot-tub locations, and at least one pool (heater).
Like a lot of places in Carmel/Monterey, my room was a bit shabby and lacked modern conveniences. I had a King ocean view with fireplace. Important for the business traveler -- definitely not enough electrical outlets and dim lighting. There was a 42" flat panel TV, a small desk area, an oddly configured bathroom setup (toilet and tub/shower in one room, cramped sink/mirror in the hallway). There was wifi; strong signal from my room.
The staff was friendly and efficient. I encountered the valet, front-desk, and lounge servers.
My room rate was $375. I felt like I paid a lot for a regular sized but shabby hotel room with awesome views.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 448 room luxury resort nestled in Monterey pines overlooking Point Lobos State Reserve. Oceanview rooms include wood burning fireplaces and private balconies and 11 suites also include in-room double spa baths, kitchenettes. Renowned Pacific's Edge Restaurant(dinner only) and California Market Restaurant (breakfast & lunch). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Hyatt Carmel Highlands reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Carmel Highlands Hotel Carmel
- Highlands Hotel Hyatt Carmel
- Carmel Highland Inn
- Carmel Hyatt