The short version: Our stay here was an excellent experience! Spectacular views, extremely friendly and attentive staff, beautiful grounds, delectable food, older but acceptable accommodations . . . and did I mention the views?
For those who are looking for a more detailed review:
My husband and I stayed here for two nights for our elopement weekend. We got married in Big Sur but opted to stay here the night before and the night of our wedding for a variety of reasons: views, price, reviews (I read A LOT of reviews before deciding to stay here), pictures (from official website and reviews), and restaurant recommend.
VIEWS & ROOM (pictures posted): The views from the lounge and the restaurant are amazing! We had a window seat in both the lounge while we were waiting for our table and during our wedding dinner. The view from our room was beautiful as well; we had an Ocean View King room. Some reviewers complain that the road can be seen/heard from some of the ocean view rooms and that’s true, but the hotel is RIGHT off of Highway 1. It shouldn’t be unexpected; it would be like complaining about being able to hear jets taking off from an airport hotel.
What else should be expected is the price of the rooms. There is no doubt - you are paying for the view. The rooms are older and pretty basic, but very clean and it’s evident that some amount of updating has been done. The TV was older and not a flat screen (not that we watched it anyway . . . who watches TV on their wedding night!?!). The fireplace was a real wood-burning fireplace, which was nice; and the bed was comfortable but not luxurious. All in all, not a top-notch room, but not a bad one either. Like I said, you’re paying for the view. If you want a luxurious room AND a great view in this area expect to pay at least $300 more for something in Big Sur or Pebble Beach.
STAFF & STAY: From the moment we got there to the moment we left we were treated as valued guests and EVERYONE on the staff we came into contact with all weekend congratulated us on our marriage (and we didn’t even get married there)! In the comment/request section of the reservation page, I wrote that it was our wedding weekend and the information was obviously passed along. On the night of our wedding a complimentary bottle of champagne and chocolates were delivered to our room and there was a congratulations card waiting for us at the table we reserved for our wedding dinner (we had the chef’s tasting menu with wine pairings at Pacific’s Edge . . . excellent!). Even the sommelier congratulated us as he told us about the wine we had with our meal. The service while we were there was extremely attentive without being overbearing.
OVERALL we were extremely pleased with our stay. A bit out of our budget for a normal vacation, but certainly would consider staying here again for an anniversary weekend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 448 room luxury resort nestled in Monterey pines overlooking Point Lobos State Reserve. Oceanview rooms include wood burning fireplaces and private balconies and 11 suites also include in-room double spa baths, kitchenettes. Renowned Pacific's Edge Restaurant(dinner only) and California Market Restaurant (breakfast & lunch). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Tingo, Priceline, Travelocity, Venere and Otel so you can book your Hyatt Carmel Highlands reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Carmel Highlands Hotel Carmel
- Highlands Hotel Hyatt Carmel
- Carmel Highland Inn
- Carmel Hyatt