“Wonderful stay in rooms 509 & 510” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast for Two
Ranked #14 of 21 hotels in Carmel
Laguna Niguel, California
“Wonderful stay in rooms 509 & 510”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

This trip was a family one & special because we wanted to take my dad to a place he has raved about for years, for his 85th birthday gift!

Check in: staff on hand was courteous and professional as were the valets every time we encountered them, which was often as Carmel is about driving and looking at the beautiful coastline.

Dinning: breakfast in their dinning room: the view is amazing and the fritata was likewise. The staff here was also kind and helpful & we loved it both times. We also had drinks in the bar which were very good but of course very pricey. We ordered clam chowder, which I recommend and crab cakes which I don't as the flavors were just not quite right for me. The chocolate cake however was & is to die for. The baker on site is amazing & I recommend anything she has made! We never had dinner here since by the second day we were worn out & ordered room service, which was also great!

Rooms: our rooms were clean and comfortable although the showers tiny for this level of hotel. As most who travel to these premier hotels, I expect large bathrooms with marble everywhere, but you won't find it here. I also would prefer a large tub to sink into at the end of a rainy day, but found out that bath tubs at least in hotels, have been outlawed in Carmel as they consume too much water. Perhaps a consolation is the wood burning fireplaces in our rooms & in all the rooms from what I could tell. Smoke was everywhere & it smelled great after the rain, but if you have asthma beware!

General Info: stairs are everywhere on this property & although there are some wheelchair ramps, someone with limited mobility may want to chose to stay elsewhere although they would miss out on the great views! We got along fine with a few stairs here and there, but it's it's an individual thing of course. If you chose not to stay, at least do Sunday Brunch here. They have specialty drinks & lots of the older crowd were loving the whole atmosphere!

Enjoy & know I'm jealous if your going:)

Room Tip: Stay or eat during the week if you like it quiet!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

661 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
North Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

I have been a repeated guest with my grand children at the lovely Highlands Inn.The service is always superb.The staff is what keeps us coming back year after year! This year they had the most elegant wine tasting in their main lobby overlooking a most breathtaking sunset!The grandchildren loved it very much!!We will be back again and again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011 via mobile

I was very disappointed with the Highlands Inn vacation club. While we were there during the ATT golf tourney, the supervisor, who told us she was in charge of the time shares, was rude. My wife was upset after this childish woman approached her with unprofessional and obnoxious behavior as she ordered people around.

I have been coming here for years and have never had such a horrible experience. She was like a bull in a china cabinet. The hotel is great but stay away from this person.

• Stayed February 2011
Redwood City, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

Based on reviews, I was really looking forward to my weekend getaway at the Highlands. When I called Hyatt, i mentioned that I was looking for an ocean view (I was really looking forward to the sunset and Pt Lobos Park view. They gave me a "Horizon View" which they told me was an ocean view. I check in and I found out I could see a sliver of the ocean way in the distance. Very very very partial ocean view. I went to complain and was told they were sold out and couldn't move it. I was there early - why couldn't they have switched me with another room?

The room itself is disappointing. I be they were nice back in the 80's, but they need a major overhaul. They're roomy, but not to the standard of a $500/night hotel resort.

One of the nice things about the hotel is also one of the frustrating ones - they have a fireplace in each room which is nice. But when you go outside in the evening, it's impossible to breathe.

Major work needed on many levels.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011 via mobile

Our first time here and our 5th Hyatt Vacation Club we have visited. We requested a townhouse style room...which means the MBR complete with whirlpool bath is on the second level and the living room with pull out sofa bed, fireplace , full kitchen and full bathroom is on the first floor. GREAT set up if you have a teenager staying with you/ which we did. This Vacation Club has room service and daily maid service. Although not right in town...it is close enough to all the sights by car. There is a pool, a hot tub, a work out room, and bikes to ride around-although taking the bikes on Route 1 is not advised. There is NOTHING else to do on site...this was a killer for my teenage son. Also there are steps everywhere with very few elevators. In fact the only one I saw was out of order the whole week we were here. The laundry- washer and dryer is free and SMALL! Not every block of units has a laundry. Great golf, restaurants and shopping all near by-dont expect the concierge to help..Trip Advisor will guide you thru all. Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2011
Corona, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

Our stay was unexpected, an opening on II was available and I snatched it up immediately after reading reviews. First of all, if you are an owner there, you have priority, if you exchange, you do not. I'm not saying that the staff weren't friendly, but when it came down to a problem we had with the upstairs tenants that week, it was made clear that the owners came first. We exchanged for a 1500 sq ft oceanview Cancun condo, so when we got there we discovered that the unit, #310 - one floor, was a 600 sf, studio with sliding partitions, but it did have an horizon view, 1/2 ocean. At first glance, all looked fine, nice furnishing, one second review the carpets were dirty, the kitchen very small, but nothing we couldn't live with for a week.

The problems started with the upstairs unit (317?) the owners were extremely noisy, know it, and didn't care. It was like living under a truck stop at times. We notified the staff on 2 occasions about the problem, and was told that they were owners, so I guess we just had to take the abuse. They did send up a bottle of wine and cheese the second time, but we would have had to drink a case to get any peace and quiet. We did leave 1 1/2 early due the problem, and would love to go back, never again in a lower unit.

Rack rate on the door was $979. The area was the draw with many amenities on and off the property. Loved the time spent there when it was quiet. Would go back under different circumstances.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

After our daughter's wedding in San Francisco we slipped down to Carmel for a couple of days. I was slightly concerned by the yawningly boring reviews of this place - almost everyone stated that it was overpriced. NOT AT ALL! It was worth every penny.

The view takes your breath away from almost every vantage point. Whales and seals frolicked in the waters below with great regularity. Falling to sleep by the combined roar of the ocean below and the crackling of the fire was magical.

To all of those that complained about road traffic below - well, you are simply just cynical. The Highlands Inn is so above a Holiday Inn where noise from passing traffic is a given. It was exceedingly peaceful!

The service was excellent at levels. The main restaurant was exquisite and, though a little expensive, exceptional value for the quality which was sublime.

Beware Highlands Inn - we are coming back shortly to nest there again!!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Carmel Highlands? Share your experiences!