“Fantastic - Ideal place to stay for a visit to Carmel” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Romantic Getaway
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
New York
“Fantastic - Ideal place to stay for a visit to Carmel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

The Auberge Carmel is absolutely fantastic. I travel extensively in the US and abroad staying at all top hotels and inns - Four Seasons, Ritz, etc etc and this is one of my new favorite places to stay in the entire world.

Location is perfect - just off the main drag in town - but on a quiet side street so it feels removed from the bustle - a couple of long blocks up the hill from the beach - with the front room having distant ocean views. Our room #12 - was on the front corner and was large with a distant view of the water.

It is not a luxury hotel (no spa no gym) - but rather what i would call a luxury European style inn. The place itself is quaint and charming beyond belief - while the rooms are large and very nicely appointed. Bathrooms are large- have radiant floor heat and large soaking tubs and all the nice touches you would expect at a high end property.

Service is amazing - Christian one of the concierges could not have been more helpful - friendly and knowledgeable.

Courtyard is very attractive and an amazing spot for the complementary breakfast they offer.

Its all the little things that make this place so great - welcoming drinks - free water and snacks and coffee in the lobby through out the day - a fantastic if simple breakfast that you can take in your room - in the courtyard or in the dining room all included in your room rate. Great quality sheets - nice flat screen - great towels and robes in the bathroom - cookies left by your bedside every night.

The restaurant deserves its own entire review - its very high quality cuisine - in a small and cozy dining room - food is amazing as is the staff - but you do pay a high price for it. If your are not a "foodie" I might save the money and dine at any of the other fine restaurants in town.

The only negative in the whole experience was the room could be a bit noisy - not terribly so - and not surprisingly given the age of the building - but given all the other upgrades I would have assumed it would be a bit more noise proof. If you are very sensitive to noise something to consider or ask about when booking maybe our room is a nosier one.

But that is me being very nitpicky - overall the place is wonderful - cant wait for a return visit - I would without a second of doubt recommend it to anyone - by far the best place to stay in Carmel and well worth the price.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Newport Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2009

HOTEL REVIEW # 169 L’auberge Carmel

MY TRAVEL STYLE: If possible, I try to stay away from business hotels and strongly prefer resorts that resemble the Four Seasons, Aman, and Oberoi but try to find similar properties at lower cost. I seek out the “wow” experiences and I encourage you to view hotels I have stayed at and their respective reviews (by clicking on my name).

LOCATION: Excellent, walking distance to all shops. No view of the ocean from the lobby and I couldn’t see much blue from the partial ocean view room.

TYPE OF ROOM: Partial Ocean View.

BED/SHEETS/PILLOW: Comfortable but short of a Starwood hotel. Mattress felt like it was just a tad past it’s prime. Linens were of high quality and pillows are down.

LIGHTING: Room is big and a part of the room could have used more lighting.

BATHROOM/SHOWER: Nice sized bathroom with shower and bathtub.

TOILETRIES: Excellent, spa quality.

CLEANLINESS: hotel is spotless.

A/C: Never used.

STYLE OF ROOM: I felt like this place is really for people in their 50s and up based on the style. Definite lack of details with missing screws, walls were not very smooth, and shutters didn’t fit the windows well. The chair for the desk has a cushion that is sagging and the chair is way too low for the desk making for an uncomfortable work environment. There is also no outlet near the desk so it’s impossible to work there and charge you laptop at the same time.

COMMON AREA: Charming.

QUIET/MORNING LIGHT: Room was very quiet and I could block most but not all of the morning sunlight with the curtains and shutters.

FOOD: Mediocre. Breakfast is a set menu with granola, eggs, yogurt, etc. They have different set menus daily. Granola was not very good.

TV/INTERNET: TV is flatscreen but stuck on the wall without much thought to how it would look. There is a channel box below the TV on a ledge attached to the wall that is too small for the box and it hangs over the edge of the ledge. Again, lack of attention to details. Didn’t use the complimentary wi-fi internet.

SERVICE: Front desk staff was nice but not impressed with service at breakfast. Twice I called for a wake up call and there was no answer. The mandatory charge of $25/day for tips is not acceptable.

SUMMARY: There’s got to be better places to stay. Fortunately I negotiated a same day rate of $150 of which I still feel is no bargain. I don’t recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

Pure European charm...at this beautiful hotel! A roaring fire greets you in the reception area and the friendliest staff work here. The inn has a quaint courtyard with rooms dotted thoughout...they made a point of placing us in a room with a bathtub which I stressed was important during my stay. The bath had lavender salts and the bathroom had heated floors.

The best part of our stay was the scrumptous five-course dinner prepared by former Sona chef...name escapes me. The meal was unbelievable! Cozy, friendly, centrally located in the village. A delight in Carmel!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2009

I swore, as I was eating at this most special little restaurant, that I was going to offer a review on TripAdvisor because it was SO wonderful. It's a small place, only appeared to be only 10 tables, but the food and the service were extraordinary.
I ordered the three course meal, and my date ordered the four course meal. My first course was a scallop dish that was absolutely perfect and delicate, my second course, the fois gras, was a generous serving and very well seared, and my main course of kobe beef was absolutely wonderful - a lovely medium rare and tender. The flavors melded together beautifully that it left me wanting more. And while my date was served his dessert (part of his four course meal), the restaurant brought me a complimentary dessert so I was not left out of the dining experience. All of the staff were gracious, friendly and not stuffy at all, they laughed with us, and did a masterful job and fully explaining our meal with each course.
And as we left, we were asked if we wanted to meet the chef - well, of course! What a sweet man - and after that meal, I could have kissed him!
I've eaten all over the world and at some truly wonderful restaurants, and this one really impressed me. I will definitely be going back!!

Stayed January 2009
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2008

The Auberge is amazing. The service is personal and attentive, the rooms stylish and confortable... and the food is amazing. We were in a group of six and had a private room, the wine cellar, which was an unforgettable culinary experience. It is not cheap, but worth it.

• Stayed November 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2008

Our stay at L'Auberge Carmel was completely divine. The location was perfect (within walking distance to anything you’d want to see in Carmel), service impeccable, and the facilities were beautiful. The court yard is absolutely beautiful and reminds you of Europe. Breakfast was included and was wonderful. The pastry chef (formerly of French Laundry) makes homemade soda every day just to have on hand for guests – it was amazing!!

• Liked — Service, amenities
  • Disliked — Not one thing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cedar Springs, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

We recently stayed at L'Auberge Carmel July 21-24, 2008 as the beginning of our 10-day honeymoon in northern California. From the second we got there everything was outstanding! We arrived and had a speedy check-in. I was then shown to our room, Room 29 and there was a bottle of french champagne chilled for us with a very nice hand written note from the manager. We thought this was great because they had no idea when we would be coming and check in only took about 2 minutes if that, part of which they took me to the room while my husband finished that up. We had had a long day of flights and had driven down from San Francisco airport to Carmel. So, by the time we got to the hotel I was very tired and my back and shoulders were in knots. We poured ourselves the champagne immediately and drew a bubble bath in the gorgeous soaking tub and it was the best medicine!!! I felt fantastic and rejuvenated right away. The room was absolutely gorgeous, the bathroom was way above expectations, the courtyard romantic and the service outstanding. They always anticipated every need we had. The fresh warm cookies every night were a delight. The bed was the most comfortable out of our whole trip and we stayed at some other very nice hotels/inns. Breakfast was yummy each day we had it delivered to our room. I can't say enough about the phenomenal service we had while we were there. It was a wonderful start to our honeymoon!

• Liked — The service, awesome room and bed
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to L'Auberge Carmel? Share your experiences!