“Excellent location, expensive, beautiful historic inn” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Romantic Getaway Package
Ranked #5 of 21 hotels in Carmel
Dayton, Ohio
“Excellent location, expensive, beautiful historic inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Pros:
Excellent location, friendly service, yummy breakfast, clean, cozy bed and linens, cute courtyard, simple amenities that are appreciated like water bottles places in car, snacks upon arrival, cookies at bedtime, bath salt gift...
Car valet so convenient!

Cons:
Front desk staff could be better educated on suggesting area things to do with better maps, etcetera. We did better by asking other tourists or locals.
Carpet in room 11 needs changing. Nice wool carpet, but stained and tired.

• Stayed May 2014

188 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I spent a recent weekend at this hotel specifically booking L'Auberge based on what I know of their standard for excellence. I will say, I was unimpressed. My expectation of service when paying more than $500 a night is that staff will be trained and well versed in the local area. That wasn't the case at all.

A light breakfast is included in their mandatory $30 service charge per day in lieu of tipping staff, valet, etc.

There are many amazing options for far less of an investment in Carmel. I will definitely choose another hotel for future stays.

Room Tip: Peek ocean view Queen room means absolutely nothing. Save your money if a view is what you are looki...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Best hotel in Carmel for location , some staff are very pleasant indeed though the management at times thinks or gives the impression that one is lucky to pay to stay there !

I would not suggest another hotel in Carmel itself is better but it is the fact that the management has overwhelming self confidence and far better knowledge of how a hotel works than their customers that I personally find irritating. That said when they realise you have made it clear who needs to take care of who , they seem to get the message .The rooms are fine but none have a view , as said before it is a great place to walk from and to .

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

I just spent two nights at the best hotel in Carmel celebrating my 50th birthday. All of the staff were so friendly and helpful and even had a bottle of wine waiting for me in my luxurious room (along with an espresso machine). The complementary breakfast was bigger than I could even finish.

The location is central and walked everywhere... to the beach, all of the shops and wine tasting rooms in town. I highly recommend staying here if you get to the area.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Our experience was enjoyable. The service level was excellent from all the staff. The location is fabulous. Breakfast, which can be enjoyed in the restaurant or in the courtyard, was very good.

Our only complaints would be the cost (hotel and restaurant) and the wireless internet which seemed very old and would not allow access to my work VPN.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

L'Auberge is located just a short walk to town and restaurants, plus only 5 blocks down to the beach. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room comfortable, but we had a loud pipe in our bathroom that was a little annoying. Breakfast came with the room which was very nice, and there was always milk and fresh cookies waiting for us when we came home from dinner.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Stockton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

This place was quaint and charming! A bit pricey but we'll worth it. It started when I pulled in front in my car. Someone immediately approached, welcomed me and took my keys. I was escorted inside and the check in completed. I was escorted to my room. This property is a vintage building. I was on the second floor and the steps very narrow. It is all part of the charm. I was in a deluxe queen and the room was large and very we'll appointed. The bathroom floors, tile, are heated. Both the room and bath are huge by all standards. The bath had both a walk in shower and a Japanese soaking tub. I have to return sometime to try that tub! There were both mixed nuts and caramels in the room as amenities. In the morning we had breakfast in the restaurant but in future it will be in room. I ordered a late afternoon snack, antipasti, delivered to my room and it was way too much for me but excellent. The location was excellent though we were disappointed we did not have dinner at the restaurant. There is no fitness center or pool. The rooms were very clean. The service was excellent. They did lack facial tissue, however. I will definitely recommend this to my friends, travel agency clients and family.

Room Tip: Request a second floor room
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to L'Auberge Carmel? Share your experiences!