“European Charm in Central Carmel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
$299 Winter Mid-Week Rate
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
Dixon, California
“European Charm in Central Carmel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

You will find this hotel to be very quaint and charming from the moment you walk in. The courtyard which is central to all rooms is lovely, a quiet place to sit and visit. The hotel staff are very service oriented and are eager to be of help. Breakfast is included and offers a gourmet blend of fresh fruits, eggs, and pastry breads. Plenty to give you a good start to your day.
The rooms are small by American standards. I felt like a mouse scooting up the stairway to a small but cozy place to spend the night. You won't be wanting to spend much time in your room here. The bed and pillows are very comfortable, bathroom floor is heated so nice for those chilly mornings, and the shower will make any man over 6 feet very happy. We chose the adventure package and did the cruise on the Bay which was terrific.
We enjoyed our stay overall but the pricing may be a little more than warranted based on the space limitations of the rooms. Would have been nice to have a room with a view of some kind.
Carmel is wonderful, reeks with charm, we will return every year.

• Stayed August 2012
auberge_carmel_ca, General Manager at L'Auberge Carmel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Ms. Blacktieranch,

Thank you very much for staying with us at L'Auberge Carmel. I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back every year to Carmel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

This is a beautifull small inn located not far from the beach and surrounded by a diversity of different gastronomy bistros and boutiques. The staff attitude makes you feel everything in easy in Carmel, which is the best way to begin a relaxing weekend. Ample rooms with simple decorations and small closet, although almost no drawers. Breakfast in the patio was great and their service makes it a day with a great start. This was our first stay in Carmel, and L'Auberge contributes to make you understand what this small and lovely town is all about.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
auberge_carmel_ca, General Manager at L'Auberge Carmel, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear Lutier,

Thank you for staying with us at L'Auberge Carmel. I appreciate the kind comments that you posted and I am glad that we were able to give you a relaxing weekend in Carmel. I hope that when you in the Carmel area again that we can look forward to your stay once again.

Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

My mother and I enjoyed our stay at L'Auberge Carmel very much. It was posh, peaceful, and relaxing and had an 'Old World', French feel to it. We were given complimentary car rides in the hotel's Mercedes to the nearby Carmel Mission, the Monterey Bay Aquarium, and a few other nearby sites. Late at night, after the hotel's driver went home, I phoned the hotel for a taxi, and the man promptly called me a cab and then checked back with me to make sure everything was okay. The food at the hotel restaurant was excellent; but definitely don't go there if you're not prepared to spent a very long time eating several meticulously-created French-themed courses. It is certainly not the place to go for a quick bite to eat, and I felt very under-dressed going there my first night in my airplane attire.

As I mentioned, I went here with my mother, but it seems more ideal for a couple due to its romantic atmosphere. Definitely not a place for groups of kids.

Room Tip: We had a ground-level room that was pretty noisy near the street and entrance to the courtyard. My m...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Afton C,

Thank for you staying with us at L'Auberge Carmel and I appreciate your comments you left. I hope that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and were able to take in the sights of Carmel and the surrounding area. If you are in the Carmel area again, we hope to see you again.

Little Rock, Arkansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Just returned from visiting Carmel on business. This was my fourth time in Carmel and my first at this property. I will not go back to this location. The rooms were tired, staff was VERY unfriendly, and the over all experience was not good. There are many other properties in Carmel that are better. I would strongly encourage you to look around before you book at this location. I stayed at the Cypress Inn on my previous trip and it was superior in every way

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear John H,

Thank you for staying at L'Auberge Carmel and thank you for your comments. I apologize for the the service that you received as we are committed to make each guests stay an enjoyable one. I thank you for your feedback and we will look to make our team stronger so 100% of our guests have an enjoyable stay.

Morristown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Recently stayed a L'Auberge for two nights, and we did not want to leave. As other's here have stated, the room was charming, the staff was very friendly and would bend over backwards to accomodate you, the breakfasts were prepared with finesse and were delicious, and the courtyard was lovely and a nice place to enjoy a cocktail in the afternoon. While the price may be higher than other hotels in the area, the quality of service was worth the money spent. I highly recommend L'Auberge.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear pauljay 57,

thank you very much for staying with us at L'Auberge Carmel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Being one of the only full service hotels in the area, we strive to make each guest feel welcomed into our "home". We hope to see you in the future.

little rock
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

NOt to put a damper on all these great reviews because I'm a Southern girl, but this was not the greatest place I've ever stayed. Mainly because I was on a walker from ankle surgery and this hotel is NOT ADA equipped in ANY WAY. .. thanks to Carmel city hall. I've never been to a non ADA place and didn't even think to ask. STEPS to hop up are humiliating.
Putting that aside, about 1/2 the staff was friendly and the other 1/2 could have cared less.
The hand towels were too rough to use. The tv was blurry. The refrigerator turned off. Dirty glasses left in my room for two days.
I'm sure they were just having an off day.
It's a great location to downtown for shopping. Nevertheless, I won't go back or recommend

Room Tip: My room, 25, was quiet, although not great furniture. My friends were in 23 and complained about the...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear bethy1954,

Thank you for staying with us at L'Auberge Carmel. After seeing your review I am disheartening that we did not exceed your expectations. As you mentioned, we are not ADA compliant because the Hotel is classified as a historical building (being built in 1929 as an apartment building and one of the first buildings in the city of Carmel). Beyond that, the fact that you did not receive the proper service is not representative of L'Auberge Carmel and I have personally have gone to rectify this issue. I very much appreciate the comments you provided.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

The staff was wonderful!! The beds were comfortable. The surroundings were beautiful! The breakfast that is offered with your room is delicious. You have the choice of dining in their dining room, taking it in the privacy of their room or having it set up in the courtyard. The entire experience was wonderful

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear mky68,

Thank you for staying with us at L'Auberge Carmel. I appreciate you kind words and look forward to seeing you again when you are in the Carmel area.

George Nagata

Been to L'Auberge Carmel? Share your experiences!