“Charming, romantic, cozy and more!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
$299 Winter Mid-Week Rate
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
New York City, New York
“Charming, romantic, cozy and more!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

A most lovely and charming boutique hotel with an adorable courtyard and extremely accommodating staff. Felt like we were in a cute town in Europe. I never realized just how important heated bathroom floors could be. They kept my feet toasty (the weather was very chilly that weekend). The breakfast (included in our Jetsetter rate) was just perfect (fruit plate, fresh squeezed juice, coffee,eggs cooked to order, toast and viennoiserie - everything delicious). Service was simply outstanding and we couldn't have asked for a more hospitable front desk (thanks in particular to Elena, who helped us cope through some noise issues due to unfortunate circumstances the first night and more than made up for it). Complimentary valet parking is a very nice touch. We are so glad we extended our stay from 1 night to 2 nights and hope to return to repeat our experience!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

We stayed at L'Auberge Carmel in late September for 2 nights of a 25th anniversary 6 day vacation. The hotel was like a lovely french chateaux. We enjoy staying at boutique hotels for the personal service and ambiance. We received both at L'Auberge Carmel.
One of the most pleasant surprises of out stay was the AMAZING dinner we experienced. We had no idea when we booked the hotel that their restaurant, Aubergine was rated as one of the best in the area.
We had 5 course meal and wine pairing. The service and food was excellent, and the wine pairing superb.
Later that week we dined at the notorious French Laundry in the Napa Valley...it was wonderful, but Aubergine at L'Auberge was an equivalent in quality, service and taste, and a lmuch less expensive.

'

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
panzano-in-chianti
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

I was surprised and delighted to discover that the hype about Carmel-on-sea is true and then some - it really is the most amazingly picturesque,and romantic location imaginable. Our hotel, L'Auberge is a true gem, a beautifully restored and maintained European style boutique hotel, with rooms grouped around a Spanish style courtyard replete with outdoor seating, geraniums and gas heaters so guests can enjoy breakfast or cocktails outdoors even when the temperature drops. Our room was spacious, tastefully decorated, with a comfy king-sized bed and very spacious bathroom. The kind of room one can enjoy spending time in. And the public spaces, reek old worlde elegance and charm. We found the staff to be the ultimate professionals - attentive, solicitous and accommodating but unobtrusive. In short, L'Auberge, in the center of this beautifully preserved, European style village, replete with artisan stores and eateries, is the perfect place for a relaxing and/or romantic get-away, Less than an hour's flight from LA, we rediscovered simple pleasures like walking, fine wining and dining and some great buys from the Carmel's stylish and exclusive artisan stores.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

I really hate to give this hotel a negative review because the staff were very professional, warm, helpful and kind. I would like to thank Matias who was especially gracious and helpful.
My critique of this hotel is with the design. I was given Room 24 for my one night stay. The room has no dresser, there is virtually no place to unpack and put your clothing into drawers. YET...there is a big closet that could easily house a dresser with drawers. There is also room upon two walls where a dresser could go. The room also had no desk or writing table. When room service delivered my dinner they put the tray on my window sill. I guess I was supposed to eat standing up at the window sill...not sure what that was about. There were two tiny little TV tray tables...I put those together and ate my dinner.
The room is dark with dark curtains and dark blanket on the bed..making the room look even smaller and gloomier. Room 24 overlooks a parking lot, yet the hotel was not full that night..why did they not give me a nicer view room? Granted,,,I did not ask for one..and possibly they would have. But still...why not give a room with a better view to keep the guests coming back...if a better room is indeed available.
The breakfast was included in the room rate. So, at breakfast, I was offered coffee or cappuccino.. I decided on cappuccino..and then found out that was 5-6 dollars EXTRA when I went to check out. Granted..my mistake again...I should have asked...but...should I need to ask if the breakfast is complimentary?
I guess if you just want a room for one night and you are one person...ROOM 24 will work. But for the price I want something a little more special, a little more luxurious, and at least a table to eat on when I order room service.

Room Tip: ASK for a room that has a dresser if you want to unpack your clothing.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
auberge_carmel_ca, General Manager at L'Auberge Carmel, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
Thank you very much for staying with us at L'Auberge Carmel. I also appreciate your comments and feedback to your stay. First, I would like to point out that I am happy to hear that our service was to your expectations.

I would like to apologize for your bad experience in our guest room. We are in the process of remodeling our guest rooms and we will take your feedback as a critical part of the remodel process. We hope to have our remodel completed by early 2012.

Our Front Desk staff are here for any guest request and should we have availability, be pleased to move you to a more comfortable room. I hope that the next time you are in the Carmel area that you do look us up again.

Manchester UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

Fabulous hotel in a great location, the hotel is old and very quirky !!! Beds are really comfortable and the bathrooms have nice toiletries. We dined in the fine dining restaurant, which was very good, but probably not my style. On our 2nd evening we dined at the hotels sister Italian restaurant that was very informal noisy, good food and a great atmosphere. Would I recommend the Auberge yes for all the above reasons. It is expensive but so is Carmel......

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

This hotel is the most amazingly quaint place. Very personal and quiet; excellent service. Beautiful courtyard to dine or relax in. Clean and beautiful rooms. The gourmet dining experience in the restaurant is one to never be forgotten! The service is the very best you can get in Carmel! We absolutely loved our stay and will stay no other place when in Carmel!

Room Tip: All rooms would be charming. We stayed on the upstairs level, which seemed a bit more private.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

This hotel is one of the best hotels I've ever stayed, service is way beyond your expectations, the quality of the food, drinks, cafe etc... is remarkably good, ingredients are so fresh that you can't believe, they have home made bread, mermelades etc... Hotel is managed by very friendly people that knows all your needs, they have one of the best restaurant I've even been. When you leave in your car they leave you water bottles for the road and a present. This guys really know their business. We went for the Motogp event in Laguna Seca and it's really close to the racetrack (25min). Great great service, thanks for all!!!!

Room Tip: Any room is excellent...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to L'Auberge Carmel? Share your experiences!