“I left my heart at ....L'Auberge in Carmel-on-sea” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Romantic Getaway Package
Ranked #6 of 21 hotels in Carmel
panzano-in-chianti
“I left my heart at ....L'Auberge in Carmel-on-sea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

I was surprised and delighted to discover that the hype about Carmel-on-sea is true and then some - it really is the most amazingly picturesque,and romantic location imaginable. Our hotel, L'Auberge is a true gem, a beautifully restored and maintained European style boutique hotel, with rooms grouped around a Spanish style courtyard replete with outdoor seating, geraniums and gas heaters so guests can enjoy breakfast or cocktails outdoors even when the temperature drops. Our room was spacious, tastefully decorated, with a comfy king-sized bed and very spacious bathroom. The kind of room one can enjoy spending time in. And the public spaces, reek old worlde elegance and charm. We found the staff to be the ultimate professionals - attentive, solicitous and accommodating but unobtrusive. In short, L'Auberge, in the center of this beautifully preserved, European style village, replete with artisan stores and eateries, is the perfect place for a relaxing and/or romantic get-away, Less than an hour's flight from LA, we rediscovered simple pleasures like walking, fine wining and dining and some great buys from the Carmel's stylish and exclusive artisan stores.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

195 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

I really hate to give this hotel a negative review because the staff were very professional, warm, helpful and kind. I would like to thank Matias who was especially gracious and helpful.
My critique of this hotel is with the design. I was given Room 24 for my one night stay. The room has no dresser, there is virtually no place to unpack and put your clothing into drawers. YET...there is a big closet that could easily house a dresser with drawers. There is also room upon two walls where a dresser could go. The room also had no desk or writing table. When room service delivered my dinner they put the tray on my window sill. I guess I was supposed to eat standing up at the window sill...not sure what that was about. There were two tiny little TV tray tables...I put those together and ate my dinner.
The room is dark with dark curtains and dark blanket on the bed..making the room look even smaller and gloomier. Room 24 overlooks a parking lot, yet the hotel was not full that night..why did they not give me a nicer view room? Granted,,,I did not ask for one..and possibly they would have. But still...why not give a room with a better view to keep the guests coming back...if a better room is indeed available.
The breakfast was included in the room rate. So, at breakfast, I was offered coffee or cappuccino.. I decided on cappuccino..and then found out that was 5-6 dollars EXTRA when I went to check out. Granted..my mistake again...I should have asked...but...should I need to ask if the breakfast is complimentary?
I guess if you just want a room for one night and you are one person...ROOM 24 will work. But for the price I want something a little more special, a little more luxurious, and at least a table to eat on when I order room service.

Room Tip: ASK for a room that has a dresser if you want to unpack your clothing.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
auberge_carmel_ca, General Manager at L'Auberge Carmel, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
Thank you very much for staying with us at L'Auberge Carmel. I also appreciate your comments and feedback to your stay. First, I would like to point out that I am happy to hear that our service was to your expectations.

I would like to apologize for your bad experience in our guest room. We are in the process of remodeling our guest rooms and we will take your feedback as a critical part of the remodel process. We hope to have our remodel completed by early 2012.

Our Front Desk staff are here for any guest request and should we have availability, be pleased to move you to a more comfortable room. I hope that the next time you are in the Carmel area that you do look us up again.

Manchester UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

Fabulous hotel in a great location, the hotel is old and very quirky !!! Beds are really comfortable and the bathrooms have nice toiletries. We dined in the fine dining restaurant, which was very good, but probably not my style. On our 2nd evening we dined at the hotels sister Italian restaurant that was very informal noisy, good food and a great atmosphere. Would I recommend the Auberge yes for all the above reasons. It is expensive but so is Carmel......

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

This hotel is the most amazingly quaint place. Very personal and quiet; excellent service. Beautiful courtyard to dine or relax in. Clean and beautiful rooms. The gourmet dining experience in the restaurant is one to never be forgotten! The service is the very best you can get in Carmel! We absolutely loved our stay and will stay no other place when in Carmel!

Room Tip: All rooms would be charming. We stayed on the upstairs level, which seemed a bit more private.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

This hotel is one of the best hotels I've ever stayed, service is way beyond your expectations, the quality of the food, drinks, cafe etc... is remarkably good, ingredients are so fresh that you can't believe, they have home made bread, mermelades etc... Hotel is managed by very friendly people that knows all your needs, they have one of the best restaurant I've even been. When you leave in your car they leave you water bottles for the road and a present. This guys really know their business. We went for the Motogp event in Laguna Seca and it's really close to the racetrack (25min). Great great service, thanks for all!!!!

Room Tip: Any room is excellent...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Austin, Texas, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

Lovely hotel in a fabulous location. You are walking distance from everything in Carmel but off of the main area so it is quiet. We had an ocean peak room, which I would not do again. There was no way to get even a peak at the ocean and we simply had a room that overlooked the street including the valet stand. Our room also had a lovely sitting area just outside of it in the main courtyard, which unfortunately seemed to be the employee lounge where the housekeepers left their things and took their breaks. We would definitely stay here again but request a room on the second floor with a courtyard view. After reading the negative reviews we were very pleasantly surprised at how lovely the room was, especially the very well appointed bath. The breakfast was more than adequate. The room rates might be a little high for the value provided, but this is Carmel, and we had just come from a horrendous stay at the horrendously overpriced Post Ranch Inn, so this seemed like a real bargain.

Room Tip: Choose a courtyard view on the second floor for a quiet room with the best view
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Lima, Peru
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

This is the second time we've stayed at L'Auberge in Carmel, the last time was almost two years ago to the day. We found it very homey, with great service and nice people. We would certainly stay there again and recommend it to friends...

The restaurant is good and we enjoyed the people serving us a great deal, but I think there is some work to do to keep up with the French chef that was there before, but what does a philistine like me know...

Room Tip: Ask nicely
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to L'Auberge Carmel? Share your experiences!