“Nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pine Inn

You added Pine Inn to your Saves list
Pine Inn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ocean Avenue between Lincoln St. and Monte Verde St., Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Carmel
New York City, New York
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Pine Inn in May. Great location. Really nice staff especially Tom who was super friendly and gave us great restaurant suggestions. They also provide complimentary bottles of water in the room which is nice. In addition you can park in their hotel lot (if space available)! Only negative for me personally is that since it is an older historic hotel it doesn't have that renovated, modern, crisp feel, it feels slightly aged. It also seemed that a lot of the rooms were different sizes since historic building, I wonder how they big who gets the bigger 1 bedrooms versus the smaller ones.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Polish first
Los Altos, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

Historic Pine Inn is a lovely facility with the ambiance of a by-gone era. The lobby is charmingly Victorian and the rooms with the ocean view are well-sized, clean, and well-appointed. The hotel's location is great for walking all over downtown Carmel. However, on both the Friday and Saturday nights we were at Pine Inn in mid-May, there were loud, music-driven, outdoor parties on the patio below that went on till after 10pm. It was annoying enough to suggest that guests in rooms facing the ocean might want to inquire ahead of arrival about parties on the nights they plan, then ask for different rooms. Other than that, the hotel is worth a visit!

Stayed May 2014
Winchester, KY, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

Located on the main drag in Carmel-by-the-sea, this establishment was a nice place to stay, but a few caveats for those who are interested. My room was small, but very comfortable. The bed and pillows were wonderful. No air conditioning, so be prepared for lots of street noise. No elevator, so ask ahead of time if handicap accessible rooms available. If you are security conscious or concerned, there was direct access from the street- no doors- to all floors. Stairs are out of sight from the lobby, which is somewhat difficult to find. Parking is free, but the lot is very small. I had to park on the main street a block away. Restaurants and shops in the area are fun. Service is fair. The desk clerk called a bellman to show me how to get to my room, which was complicated. He pointed up the stairs and gave me a few turn left/turn rights.
If you really want to stay on the main drag of Carmel-by-the-Sea, it's fine.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Burleson,Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

My husband and I just returned from Carmel, and a fantastic stay at the Pine Inn. I have been staying there for 20 years, and it always makes me want to return. I think it is amazing that the original building was built in the 1800's, and moved, somehow, to it's present, perfect location over looking the ocean, and the beautiful town of Carmel. The staff is wonderful, from the front desk, to the bell man, and the evening service that turns down the covers at night, and leaves the next day's forecast, and a chocolate. One room hint-room #1 is wonderful for the elderly, because of very few, if any steps. Also, I always book in advance, and request an ocean view room. All hotels have rooms that vary in ambiance, and you usually get what you pay for, or you get what's left, because you did not book early. I love this hotel, and will return again, and again.

Room Tip: Room #1 is nice for elderly, and someone who would prefer few, or no stairs.
Brentwood, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Although the hotel is not very accomodating for the elderly or handicapped, the location was perfect and we had a very enjoyable stay at the historic Pine Inn. The staff was very helpful and friendly and accomodated us quite well. You still have to climb a length of stairs to the first floor of guest rooms, as they do not have an elevator. But, our room was very nice, large, clean and the bed was really quite comfortable. The bathroom was adequate, but the huge closet made up for it as it included a built in dresser, which made up for the limited space in the bathroom. We also had a lovely view of the ocean and could sit in our room and enjoy the sunset.

I really like the charm and character of an older hotel and would definately stay here again, although not likely with an elderly parent.

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly when booking your room, otherwise you might be surprised by how small some o...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

We stayed at this old gem on our vacation and stop in Carmel. The staff were very great and super friendly. We loved the old charm of the place and felt cozy and at home. Our room was very clean and had that historic feel to it.

Keep in mind that you don't come to a historic hotel like this and expect everything to be modern and have the latest and greatest features. We knew this coming in and got what we expected from a historic property. They do not have an elevator but we did not find that to be a problem at all. To me places like this are like driving vintage cars. The styling and sense of history is what makes it what it is. For those that have written reviews that I have seen about the hotel and the lack of some of the "modern" features would probably complain about the gas mileage and lack of ABS in a vintage classic car LOL.

The restaurant was a big highlight for us and I will write a review for them as well. We enjoyed our stay very much and felt right at home.

Palo Alto, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Perhaps others are more appreciative of the "historical" element of this hotel than I am. To me, the hotel was more rundown and neglected, than charming or quaint. I have never had such an unrestful night's sleep as I had here. The beautiful and romantic lobby only made our room that much more disappointing. I do not know if the hotel gave us the worst room it had, but based on my observations I would never recommend it. It felt like I was staying in a budget motel instead of a "charming" hotel for the low price of $240 per night! The lobby was the only really good part. Now for the good and bad parts:
GOOD:
-Great location, but Carmel is quite small, and very walkable, so do NOT base your decision on location of this hotel.
-Friendly front desk staff, but then again, we found everyone in Carmel to be helpful and friendly
-They have their own parking lot which is great, if you are lucky enough to get a space, BUT it becomes very frustrating, as the space is very limited. On two different occasions, we were unable to get a space.
-There is free wi-fi to allow you to surf Trip Advisor, Yelp, and other online resources
BAD: (and almost too many things to list)
-back to the parking lot issue, there are about 18 spaces which proved to be insufficient. As a paying guest, it just really annoyed me we could not park after a long day of traveling/sight seeing.
-Very, very noisy! Any of the rooms that face the parking lot across the street, are also directly over the loading zone for the Il Fornaio restaurant. My husband and I were kept awake past 11:30 PM due to the restaurant taking out garbage, recycling, talking, taking breaks, and attending to general business. The next morning a delivery truck showed up at 7:45 in the morning and used a hydraulic lift to unload supplies. The garbage cans were also below our window. Yuck!
-Thin walls. I could hear the people outside on the street, on the floor above us, the people next to us, a guest was blaring his TV at 4 AM in the morning until someone finally started banging on his door and yelling at him. I was woken up every few hours by one person or another making noise, and it was impossible to get a good nights sleep.
-Tilted floor, walls, and doorways. I know this sounds strange, but the walls were noticeably bowed, the floors were very slanted, the doorways looked liked they belonged in a funhouse, and I started to wonder if it was structurally safe to be in! Every time I tried to set my toiletries on the ledge of the tub, they slid off. The bathroom door would not close properly because of the slanted angle.
-Terrible bathroom. Small even by European standards and impossible for me and the hubby to use it at the same time. The water pressure was truly non existent. I get that they want to restrict water use and waste, but I regretted even attempting to wash my hair under the pathetic shower head. This just added to my aggravation and truly does not make me feel like I am on vacation. Our toilet required a lot of handle jiggling to get it to stop running, and there is no ventilation unless you want the windows open.
-Just plain run down and lacking amenities. The shutters in our room were cracked and missing hardware. The lighting fixture in the bathroom was gross and made me wish I had not looked up. The rugs and bedspread came across as very worn and tired. There is no room service, no ice machine, elevator, or even sufficient outlets to charge up electronics or devices. It was definitely not the romantic, relaxing environment I was hoping for. I actually started considering checking out one night early because our room was just depressing.
In summary, I would not book here unless there is no where else to stay, and/or you do not care about any of the things I mentioned above. Next time, I will gladly pay more, at a different hotel, in order to get a quality room that makes me feel like I'm having a great weekend out of town. I was so terribly disappointed because I really wanted to like this hotel, but I simply cannot recommend it.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, do not get a room that faces the hotel's parking lot.
jlloyd54, General Manager at Pine Inn, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Good Morning,

First, I would like to apologize to the guest. I am truly sorry that your stay was less than desirable.

Now, I would like to address some of the issues mentioned by the reviewer.

Parking is a concern. We do not have enough spaces for all the guest rooms. This is mentioned in all our correspondence to include our website and our confirmations. Parking is on a first-come-first served basis. On a side note, the owner of the Pine Inn has been trying for 20 years to get approval from the city of Carmel to build a parking garage with no luck. So as of this writing parking is still a concern although there is parking around the hotel on the streets.

Regarding the slanted walls and floors, please remember that this is an historical hotel (built in 1889), which is registered with the city as such. Most, if not all our guests, find it fascinating that the hotel was moved on pine logs to its present location from up the hill. Furthermore, there is only one slightly slanted floor in the main building. The Pine Inn has three buildings of which two were added on years later.

To respond to some of the other comments; we do have room service available every day from 6:30 am to 10 pm at night, all of the carpets and bedspreads are new, we do have an ice machine and although we do not have an elevator, we do have a bellman on duty every day and evening to assist our guests with their luggage.

In closing, had this guest contacted the front desk with some of these concerns we would have addressed them immediately and most definitely moved them to another part of the hotel and upgraded them as well.

John Lloyd

Been to Pine Inn? Share your experiences!