“Wonderful Weekend” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pine Inn

You added Pine Inn to your Saves list
Pine Inn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ocean Avenue between Lincoln St. and Monte Verde St., Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
Brentwood, California
“Wonderful Weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Although the hotel is not very accomodating for the elderly or handicapped, the location was perfect and we had a very enjoyable stay at the historic Pine Inn. The staff was very helpful and friendly and accomodated us quite well. You still have to climb a length of stairs to the first floor of guest rooms, as they do not have an elevator. But, our room was very nice, large, clean and the bed was really quite comfortable. The bathroom was adequate, but the huge closet made up for it as it included a built in dresser, which made up for the limited space in the bathroom. We also had a lovely view of the ocean and could sit in our room and enjoy the sunset.

I really like the charm and character of an older hotel and would definately stay here again, although not likely with an elderly parent.

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly when booking your room, otherwise you might be surprised by how small some o...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Polish first
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

We stayed at this old gem on our vacation and stop in Carmel. The staff were very great and super friendly. We loved the old charm of the place and felt cozy and at home. Our room was very clean and had that historic feel to it.

Keep in mind that you don't come to a historic hotel like this and expect everything to be modern and have the latest and greatest features. We knew this coming in and got what we expected from a historic property. They do not have an elevator but we did not find that to be a problem at all. To me places like this are like driving vintage cars. The styling and sense of history is what makes it what it is. For those that have written reviews that I have seen about the hotel and the lack of some of the "modern" features would probably complain about the gas mileage and lack of ABS in a vintage classic car LOL.

The restaurant was a big highlight for us and I will write a review for them as well. We enjoyed our stay very much and felt right at home.

Palo Alto, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Perhaps others are more appreciative of the "historical" element of this hotel than I am. To me, the hotel was more rundown and neglected, than charming or quaint. I have never had such an unrestful night's sleep as I had here. The beautiful and romantic lobby only made our room that much more disappointing. I do not know if the hotel gave us the worst room it had, but based on my observations I would never recommend it. It felt like I was staying in a budget motel instead of a "charming" hotel for the low price of $240 per night! The lobby was the only really good part. Now for the good and bad parts:
GOOD:
-Great location, but Carmel is quite small, and very walkable, so do NOT base your decision on location of this hotel.
-Friendly front desk staff, but then again, we found everyone in Carmel to be helpful and friendly
-They have their own parking lot which is great, if you are lucky enough to get a space, BUT it becomes very frustrating, as the space is very limited. On two different occasions, we were unable to get a space.
-There is free wi-fi to allow you to surf Trip Advisor, Yelp, and other online resources
BAD: (and almost too many things to list)
-back to the parking lot issue, there are about 18 spaces which proved to be insufficient. As a paying guest, it just really annoyed me we could not park after a long day of traveling/sight seeing.
-Very, very noisy! Any of the rooms that face the parking lot across the street, are also directly over the loading zone for the Il Fornaio restaurant. My husband and I were kept awake past 11:30 PM due to the restaurant taking out garbage, recycling, talking, taking breaks, and attending to general business. The next morning a delivery truck showed up at 7:45 in the morning and used a hydraulic lift to unload supplies. The garbage cans were also below our window. Yuck!
-Thin walls. I could hear the people outside on the street, on the floor above us, the people next to us, a guest was blaring his TV at 4 AM in the morning until someone finally started banging on his door and yelling at him. I was woken up every few hours by one person or another making noise, and it was impossible to get a good nights sleep.
-Tilted floor, walls, and doorways. I know this sounds strange, but the walls were noticeably bowed, the floors were very slanted, the doorways looked liked they belonged in a funhouse, and I started to wonder if it was structurally safe to be in! Every time I tried to set my toiletries on the ledge of the tub, they slid off. The bathroom door would not close properly because of the slanted angle.
-Terrible bathroom. Small even by European standards and impossible for me and the hubby to use it at the same time. The water pressure was truly non existent. I get that they want to restrict water use and waste, but I regretted even attempting to wash my hair under the pathetic shower head. This just added to my aggravation and truly does not make me feel like I am on vacation. Our toilet required a lot of handle jiggling to get it to stop running, and there is no ventilation unless you want the windows open.
-Just plain run down and lacking amenities. The shutters in our room were cracked and missing hardware. The lighting fixture in the bathroom was gross and made me wish I had not looked up. The rugs and bedspread came across as very worn and tired. There is no room service, no ice machine, elevator, or even sufficient outlets to charge up electronics or devices. It was definitely not the romantic, relaxing environment I was hoping for. I actually started considering checking out one night early because our room was just depressing.
In summary, I would not book here unless there is no where else to stay, and/or you do not care about any of the things I mentioned above. Next time, I will gladly pay more, at a different hotel, in order to get a quality room that makes me feel like I'm having a great weekend out of town. I was so terribly disappointed because I really wanted to like this hotel, but I simply cannot recommend it.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, do not get a room that faces the hotel's parking lot.
jlloyd54, General Manager at Pine Inn, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Good Morning,

First, I would like to apologize to the guest. I am truly sorry that your stay was less than desirable.

Now, I would like to address some of the issues mentioned by the reviewer.

Parking is a concern. We do not have enough spaces for all the guest rooms. This is mentioned in all our correspondence to include our website and our confirmations. Parking is on a first-come-first served basis. On a side note, the owner of the Pine Inn has been trying for 20 years to get approval from the city of Carmel to build a parking garage with no luck. So as of this writing parking is still a concern although there is parking around the hotel on the streets.

Regarding the slanted walls and floors, please remember that this is an historical hotel (built in 1889), which is registered with the city as such. Most, if not all our guests, find it fascinating that the hotel was moved on pine logs to its present location from up the hill. Furthermore, there is only one slightly slanted floor in the main building. The Pine Inn has three buildings of which two were added on years later.

To respond to some of the other comments; we do have room service available every day from 6:30 am to 10 pm at night, all of the carpets and bedspreads are new, we do have an ice machine and although we do not have an elevator, we do have a bellman on duty every day and evening to assist our guests with their luggage.

In closing, had this guest contacted the front desk with some of these concerns we would have addressed them immediately and most definitely moved them to another part of the hotel and upgraded them as well.

John Lloyd
salt lake city
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

This is an older property. The rooms were fine. Dated but clean. The location is very good. A short walk up the hill from the beach on Ocean ave. My biggest complaint is that the hotel apparently cares more about its furniture than its customers and as a result there is no true public gathering space except inside the adjacent Il Fornaio restaurant. The lobby should be an inviting space, but guests are not allowed to enjoy a glass of wine or a coffee in the lobby seating area for fear that they will spill on the furniture. It's quite odd. Store the antiques and open up the seating area for your guests. I wouldn't return to the Pine Inn.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
San Francisco, CA area
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

My wife and recently spent the night in this charming old Inn, right on Ocean Avenue in the heart of Carmel's charming "downtown." The Inn is located centrally among the collection of stores, art galleries, restaurants and wine tasting rooms that Carmel is famous for. Everything, including the beach, is a short walk away. Reasonably priced, for Carmel, the Inn has been around since the laste 1800's, being remodeled and expanded several times over the years. While it is in good shape for an older establishment, it is has retained its charm and character. The room was comfortable, with a good bed, though nothing fancy and perhaps could benefit from some TLC (shutters on windows not so good, for example). The service was quite pleasant. The hotel also includes a restaurant, Il Fornaio (an Italian chain) which is pretty good, though not anything special, really. There is a bakery/coffee place on the premises also, for all your morning caffeine & pastry needs. Limited parking.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

We are a couple in our 30s from Australia (living in London). We visited Carmel and we were very happy at The Pine Inn.

It's a beautiful classic hotel in prime position on the main Carmel strip. The room we had was initially small because we were a last minute booking so the next night they upgraded us free of charge to a prime Ocean view room which was beautiful.

Everyone in the hotel were extremely friendly and genuine throughout the stay.

You will pay a lot more for other hotels very similar or worse here. Strongly recommend this one.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Arrived at 3pm and directed to car park to park. But it was already full. Several of the cars had been there from earlier in the day and checked in after us. So if you are in the know do the same if you want any chance of parking. Otherwise you get to park 4-5 blocks away. To rub salt into this the reception smilingly gave us a voucher for their car park and full directions, without any hope of us parking there. Why they didn't just give alternate advice is anyones guess.

There are no drinks available in the hotel if the bar and resturant is shut. None in the rooms and nothing elsewhere, The standard practice of a thermos of coffee somewhere has escaped this hotel.

The place feels like a museum Lobby full of old furnature with signs saying not to use or touch. Pretty but no what you need in a hotel.

So to sum up, nice location, old furnishings, but not really a proper hotel. Something out of the ark.

Room Tip: Park there early in the morning and check in later.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Pine Inn? Share your experiences!