“Unforgettable place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pine Inn

You added Pine Inn to your Saves list
Pine Inn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ocean Avenue between Lincoln St. and Monte Verde St., Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
Beijing
“Unforgettable place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We had a team meeting in Carmel this Jan. and stayed in Pine Inn for 2 days. Carmel by the sea itself is a great place, and the Pine Inn just added to give us a wonderful accommodation and experience there.

My room was with a graceful decoration of an antique flavor, quiet and beautiful, and also convenient with all the modern facilities. The hotel is at a great location, close to everything you want to visit in Carmel, and just a few minutes walk to the beach.

We had a team meeting there and training sessions in the day time. Sitting in the conference room, seeing the beautiful flowers, trees and garden-like balcony outside, the training itself became so pleasant. I am just planning a personal trip with my family to Carmel, and Pine Inn will be my first choice there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We only spent one night at the Pine Inn but found the service impeccable. After a long drive up Hwy 1 from Santa Barbara it was good to find such pleasant accommodation in a real gem of a town. The inn was full of character and we loved the fireplaces and the overall ambiance. The buffet breakfast was a great start to the day. The location was right in the centre of town with plenty of restaurants and shops to wander through. The beach is also just a short stroll away. The only negative I will mention was the inability to cool the room down. On what was a very cold night we had to sleep with the windows open to try to drop the temperature.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We had a team event in Carmel and had a big group stay at the Pine Innn last week (about 40 rooms booked). The hotel management was great from the very beginning to help us making reservations, arranging conference room booking at the Il Fornio next door, and put me in contacts with nearby activity options.

I waited until a week after our stay to write this review as I wanted to gather everyone's feedback. Everyone had good things to say about the hotel, location is impacable, rooms were clean and beds were comfortable and hotel staff was nice. For big group events I think the Pine Inn is perfect, will definitely consider this option agains for our future activity planning. They really took care of us to make sure we had a good stay there.

One thing I would suggest although not a direct experience from me (heard from some of my coworkers) is that the walls between the rooms are rather thin and the noise level can be high. Would be good if the hotel can put in some thicker walls for better privacy accommodation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Reading, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

What a lovely place. Great location, great people and wonderful service
Really, really nice.
You can hear the ocean from your room at night
Just magical

Great lobby, great breakfast.
I have been coming to Carmel for years and this place is really lovely. Worth the visit and quaint as well

Room Tip: Ask for a room with ocean view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

The Pine Inn (and attached) Il Fornaio Restauant are a great combination in the perfect setting in Carmel. They only drawback of the Pine Inn is that the rooms (at least the rooms we were in) were a bit noisy - - they were on the third floor and faced north towards the hotel's parking lot. We would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Coffs Harbour
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Have to say hotel is in a fabulous location, free breakfast fantastic, loved the attached bakery, staff were helpful, lobby really amazing. Trouble is that this hotel was so noisy at night it was unreal. My sister had a room that is best described as a closet (21 I think), situated under the stairs and every step taken felt like her roof was caving in. She tried pillows under the door, fan and earplugs to drown out noise, to no avail. We booked our 3 night stay well in advance requesting rooms with a nice outlook but both ended up with an awful dirty roof outlook. There was a wedding party/guests booked in at the same time and they were noisy all night, room hopping, tearing up and down the stairs and screaming. My sister works in the travel industry and has slept in hotels 2-3 nights a week for over 30 years and this was the noisiest hotel she has ever stayed in. By all means drop in for a look, the hotel has the best lobby and interesting history but stay somewhere else.. so disappointing !

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
jlloyd54, General Manager at Pine Inn, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
I am truly sorry that this guests' accommodations were less than desirable. Obviously, we want all of our guests to be happy and have a quiet and relaxing stay.

My only other comment would be that if future guests encounter loud and disturbing issues with other guests that they contact the front desk. We will do our best to eliminate the noise to include moving rooms if necessary.

California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

This was our 4th hotel (3rd winter visit) in Carmel. Each year hubby attends a work conference and I tag along, we then stay a few additional nights on our own wallet. This year we decided to stay where everyone else stayed in Pine Inn rather than a place of our choosing. All I can do is compare the value here with the other places we have stayed in past years.

We were grateful for the parking lot we stumbled on behind the inn, a plus to have in Carmel. We have never been here in the summer with crowds so maybe there is more parking trouble.
Carmel is certainly NOT wheelchair friendly, and neither was this hotel. (not that many here are).
We lugged our 2 pieces of light luggage through the courtyard and up a few levels of narrow stairs.

I consider several factors in choosing a hotel, then rating it afterwards. I also try and get hotels that have character or a feel for where we are, or the type of trip I am on. In other words, when in Prague, I don't want the Hilton.

Reviews by others are very important, and we do our homework. In this case we just went where the rest of the group went, but I have to say we were far happier with a previous years choice.

Also considered are location, price, breakfast, communication.

Comfort, lighting, bathroom space, water pressure...all things that make a stay or can ruin it.

That said, the location is great, but that is pretty much so for everything in Carmel. Price was really high for what we got. Even if we were not paying for it, I didn't like spending so much. Yes the hotel is landmark and very historical. I just looked past the crooked doors and hallway that made me think I was having a dizzy spell as I swerved toward the wall each time I walked down it. I like old and quaint. That is part of the charm of the hotel. The holiday decor that was being put up was also nice.
We got breakfast in the morning which is a plus in Carmel where everything is so expensive. Maybe it is less painful to not have to find a place to eat. It had decent fare. Eggs, sausage, potatoes, fruit, breads, yogurt, real oatmeal (I always appreciate). Orange juice. Lots of coffees and teas. I don't drink coffee or tea so asked for hot chocolate (a packet?) and was told there was a charge for that. Sheesh. Negative mark. Same in the room. I don’t get why.

Communication was good over the phone and via email and in person.

The room was very cramped. We were in a standard king corner room. I had to move the two very worn corner chairs away from each other so we could both sit at the same time and not fight over foot space. We then had a shutter in our head so couldn’t open them. It was too dark to read without stuffing the bed drape behind the headboard and pulling the lamp to the front edge of the table. We had somewhat of a peek view, but again, the "other" place had a magnificent view and it was farther away. We had a hard time getting the temp right. At first the room was very cold, then way too hot. The first night the steam heater clicked/clanked and hissed all night. It wasn’t bad but strange that it didn't do it the next night. Hubby usually uses the closets so not until the second night when I looked for an additional blanket did I see how big it was, and find the hair dryer (used my own) way in the back corner, as well as iron/board.

Several previous reviews stated that they were happy, but they also got special treatment and upgrades. There is always a hope and a chance, but in our case we got what the group rate was and the group rooms. When you are in the lobby there is a screen show of the nice rooms and bathrooms. I didn’t see one like ours.

Carmel shuts down very early when we are there in the winter, thus we retire to the room for the evening after dinner. We didn't have a tv guide so with all the channels provided, had to surf and always come into the middle of shows when we found something watchable.

Just a note of warning, I will comment on noise outside- in the early am it is part of Carmel, no way around it. Delivery trucks making rounds. It would be hard to find a place exempt from that. Inside was quiet except for the noisy late arrivals who maybe were at a party or wedding and turning in.

Bathroom lost points big time. Outdated is one thing, but these were updated but not planned well. I get bugged when there is no place on the sink to put personal belongings. The coffee maker, fancy hotel soaps, etc take up what little space there is. I push it all aside, or put it in another room. No room for even the bare basics of a tiny makeup or mens kit. Lighting was OK.

The biggest problem was the tub/shower. It had one of those "rain" shower heads way up. Great for tall people, but there was no pressure, just dripping/falling water. It took me 3x longer to wet, soap, rinse, condition, rinse my hair. WAY too long. The next night I decided to just pass and not wash my hair but forgot I should have used a provided shower cap. No way to not get it all wet eventually. Actually the towel bar was inside the shower. Not a problem as they didn’t get wet. Additionally, there was a handicap grab bar on the wall. That in itself isn’t a problem usually but this one was really high. I am 5’6” and it was above my shoulder. That made raising my arms up very tight as I kept banging into it. They are usually placed lower.

All in all, we were disappointed. Actually I bit my tongue and didn't complain as we were not paying for the room and hubby (the traveler) doesn't complain about much. HE is the one who voiced disappointment.
We know there is better to choose from and will if we return again. I shouldn't have switched our reservation but the group stayed here last year and I felt we may have missed out.

Room Tip: I think we got one of their "lesser" rooms so wouldn't know
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Pine Inn? Share your experiences!