“Elegant/Quaint Accommodations--No A/C & Disappointing service Except from One super-nice front desk person” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pine Inn

You added Pine Inn to your Saves list
Pine Inn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ocean Avenue between Lincoln St. and Monte Verde St., Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

We wanted to stay in Carmel but the prices were higher than we wanted. Luckily we found an online special through Priceline for the queen room.
It was hard to find the hotel as the buildings in downtown Carmel do not have address numbers--there are just tons of signs for each shop on buildings that have multiple occupants. The desk clerk was not very helpful when I called to say we were there but could not find the hotel. I called twice, and told her each time where I was, what was in front of, to the left, right, behind me...she had me walk into the fancy restaurant in front of me to ask someone to point me to the hotel lobby. Apparently the hotel and restaurant is connected in the same building--but rather than the girl simply telling me to walk past the restaurant, turn left, and the hotel entrance would be about the 3rd door up some steps, she had me traipse through a fancy restaurant with everyone looking at me and interrupt a waiter to help me. I thought it was put-offish for the girl to pretty much blow me off, and she didn't even apologize or anything when I checked in.
The lobby was fancy, very Victorian. The room was a little small but comfortable. The bed and pillows were EXCELLENT and the most COMFORTABLE ever! The bathroom was nice (marble counter), but being an older building the tub drained slowly when showering. I was surprised that such a nice hotel did not have conditioner, which isn't that big of a deal but in a location like Carmel and the style of hotel it was, I would think they would have had an ounce of conditioner. (The Pine Inn must somehow be affiliated with the Tally Ho in around the corner, as the soap and shampoo labels said "Tally Ho").
Parking was free in their small lot located a block behind the hotel, but we chose to stay in our spot on the street. I could not tell if the lot was full and did not want to give up our spot in the event it was. Wi-Fi was free and worked well.
The room was 31 on the 3rd floor--and there are no elevators. This made it difficult with luggage (we had someone take it up for us) and if anyone has trouble walking it would be hard to go up the older staircases. Being on the 3rd floor also made the room really hot! There was no A/C, so we opened the windows immediately and turned on the ceiling fan. It took quite awhile to cool off the room, and at night we were not certain about leaving the windows open for 2 reasons: 1) there was an outdoor stairwell just next to the one window which would have been easy to enter and climb into our window, and 2) the neighboring buildings would have been able to see right into our room. The sun in the morning was beating in the windows, so it is easy to see why the room was so hot (and a picture was very faded, so the sun must be constant). Our view was also the roof of another building, which was tarred so that could also have caused the heat in our room even though the air temperature was cool.
Breakfast was complimentary until 10:00 am. We arrived around 9:20. There was no oatmeal, no regular coffee, no yogurt, no spoons...(we witnessed an adult man use his bare hand to scoop out brown sugar since there was no spoon--however, that is NO EXCUSE to do something so crass and gross!) The sausage was cold, as were the eggs and the potatoes. There were some pastries, and fresh cubed fruit. I had to ask the hostess if we could get some more yogurt and oatmeal. She seemed like it was a problem or beneath her to take care of this, and she was in no hurry to replenish it--it took her at least 10 minutes to bring out the oatmeal, then eventually the yogurt. (They were not busy but we did not see any waiters/waitresses to ask, and the hostess was just standing at the podium so that is why we approached her.)
At 10:05 a couple came to eat breakfast, but everything had already been put away. When the hotel says 8-10:00, they mean it! Aside from the fact that the couple were obviously late for the stated breakfast, it would seem that the hotel would in fact maintain the temperature of the items and keep them replenished until 10:00. We should not have had to eat cold eggs, sausage, and potatoes, nor should we have had to ask for oatmeal, yogurt, spoons, or coffee.
The front desk girl (Caroline?) was working on the morning of July 19...she was super-perky and super-nice--she totally made up for the rudeness of the girl the night before who couldn't bother to help me find the lobby, and the aloofness of the hostess in the restaurant. Caroline gave us some suggestions of places to see and directions, and was really extremely pleasant and friendly. Too bad the others we experience don't follow suit.
All in all, the hotel was a great value (for the special we were able to obtain) for staying in the heart of Carmel, on the shopping strip about 3-4 blocks from the ocean.

Please note: If it had not been for the disappointing breakfast experience and the poor attitudes of the first front desk girl and hostess at breakfast, I would have rated this hotel as "Excellent" especially given the special price we were able to obtain. But I believe in a service industry--especially at a hotel that is typically much more expensive than what we paid--all aspects should be taken into account to bestow an "Excellent" rating on an establishment. If we had paid regular price I would have rated it "Average" based on the price.

Room Tip: Request a room not facing the East (sun beats in, no A/C)
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Polish first
Clayton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

Typical last minute plans by me, the husband (aka Mr. Procrastinator) on the 30th Anniversary, turned out to be one of the most memorable. We are a couple of very simple pleasures, but the Pine Inn really went out of their way to make our two day stay fantastic. I squeezed in reservations last minute via TripAdvisor, and let them know I was desperately seeking a room, a barn, a stable, anything at the Inn. It was a surprise for my Wife. Upon arrival, late of course, they presented us with an upgrade to the Penthouse, and a bottle of Champagne for our celebration. Completely unsolicited gesture on their part, made our memories and warmed our hearts.

It's the oldest hotel in Carmel with the best service! Quaint, comfortable, historic, and in the best location ever! 2 blocks to the beach, zero blocks to shopping, and award winning restaurants. Very relaxing and low key.

We will stay here again, and again. They have earned our loyalty. Next year for sure!
~The happy Robertson's.

Room Tip: They're all good.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Novato, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

Really enjoyed our 2-night stay. The facility is quaint, but one must remember it IS a historic buidling. So no elevators, and small rooms, with one huge TV. Staff are friendly as well as the staff at Il Fornaio. I brought my own coffee maker, and obtained a small creamer of 1/2& 1/2 each evening with no problem. We could sit on our bed and see the ocean. The breakfast which is included by Il Fornaio was adequate. Even though this is an old building there are plenty of outlets for culring irons, hair-dryers, and charging cell-phones. Water pressure is great, with plenty of hot water. As someone else mentioned you step out the door and are in the main shopping area. Parking can be stressful, it's free, ....if you can find a spot in the one little lot which filled quickly. This left you having to park on the street with the 2-hour parking limit, making you NOT be able to relax and forget about time. Rooms very clean, and towels were new and sparkling white. My other wish was for a mirro that had magnifying capability, but this is something I wish more hotels/motels had. I would recommend this establishment, but one needs to remember it is and old building, but not old like it smelled musty, or "old'..............it just doesn't have the presentation of a brand new facility. Also of note this facility does not allow pets.

sacramento, california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

The room (Standard King) was nice except for the bathroom.......towels were very old and scratchy on skin and the shower tub combo in desparate need of work. It was very difficult to slide the shower glass doors back and forth and caulking needed work. Also, you have to sign in every time you want to use their wifi which seemed odd to us. The location of the Pine Inn is excellent and the morning breakfast was fantastic. Would I stay there again, yes, but would call to make sure the room was a bit more upgraded.

Kennesaw, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

We have been staying at the Pine Inn now for 5-6 years and have enjoyed each stay. John & his team do a trmendous job making you feel right at home. The location is right in the middle of everything in Carmel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

This was my second stay there. The first was 13 years ago on my honeymoon. This feels like a european B&B, but it is a full service hotel. The lobby is very wlll appointed. The rooms are all well dedorated with some suites, some ocean view, some neither. The location is fantastic; walking distance to everything. The staff is friendly and helpful. The resturant is satisfactory with a well stocked bar. It is several buildings that have been cobbled together through the years and is most interesting. I will always stay there when in Carmel

Room Tip: The suites are fantastic, especially the ones with fireplaces
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We had such a lovely stay here I cannot recommend it highly enough. The staff go above, beyond a million times over, the atmosphere is lovely and all of the facilities, including an EXCELLENT restaurant for breakfast and dinner are so well maintained.

Our room was spotless and the little touches like the maid who turns down the pillow each night at 6ish and the chocolate placed on the pillow were so lovely.

We also took advantage of the happy hour in the Il Fornaio restaurant, a restaurant that has a great name for itself even among the locals we found and chatted to several of them in there. Happy hour is great for food, wine, beer and cocktails – all of which are at amazing prices and immaculately served as everything else is. The breakfast was one of the best we had in a whole three weeks of travelling the California Coast in terms of variety and in terms of the quality of food.

All in all we would stay here again at the drop of a hat and I wouldn’t, for the quality and value consider staying anywhere else but this quaint and lovely Inn by the sea.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Pine Inn? Share your experiences!