“Great place to stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lobos Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Lobos Lodge
You added Lobos Lodge to your Saves list
Monte Verde Street And Ocean Avenue, PO Box L-1, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
Chicago, Illinois
“Great place to stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights on our honeymoon. What a nice place! The room was huge. (We were in room 12). The room had a fridge and gas fireplace! Since we were on the first floor, we didn't have much of a view, but I would imagine on the 2nd floor you can see the ocean. They bring breakfast to your room each morning which was great. They also have cookies in the lobby in the afternoon. I helped myself to one and it was tasty.

Carmel is a pretty great town and this hotel is one of my favorites on this 2 week trip. The only downside is that the parking lot is pretty small, but if you don't plan on driving once you are in Carmel (It is so small, you don't have to), then it isn't a problem.

Great place!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

philadelphia PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

I would not recommend this hotel as the management is very unprofessional. I booked two rooms for my family, and when a larger room opened up I asked the staff to describe the room to see whether it would work for myself my husband and our three small children (one an infant). I was told that it was against fire code to put five people in a room. I explained that we had a number of people in our family staying at the hotel and that I might be able to have one of my kids stay in another family member's room, and that I would figure it out with my family and get back to the hotel staff. I hung up and was called back less than five minutes later and told in a very accusatory tone that I could not have a child stay with my inlaws (in another room) because that room only had a king bed. I repeated that I had a large number of family staying at the hotel, not just my inlaws, that weekend and that I would figure it out. I then said in a joking manner that if worse came to worse, my daughter could sleep on the floor.. The staff member was upset by this and told me "absolutely not" that "sleeping on the floor was against fire code". At this point I felt that I better speak to management because I was feeling that I was being accused of a crime I did not commit. I told the manager that I did not appreciate being accused of trying to get around their fire code when I was very clear that we had a number of family members staying at the hotel and that I would figure it out. The manager was just as rediculous as her employee and told me, after I explained that I was upset and angry by the way I was being treated, that I was out of control and that she would not speak to me until I behaved like an adult.. I am a clinically trained social worker and believe that my skills in getting along with people are pretty good. I have NEVER been so pooly treated by someone in a service industry. The interchange has left me very upset and I come away from the experience feeling as though the staff at this hotel either need a stiff drink or some professional help in learning how to get along with others. Or maybe just a brief trip to the looney bin:) Needless to say, I do not think that we will be staying at this hotel.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
10 Thank happytravelerss
rosesofshar, General Manager at Lobos Lodge, responded to this review, July 30, 2009
This reviewer has stated so many inaccuracies. Number one, she cancelled her 2 rooms but she neglects to mention that we were sold out and a larger room had
NOT "opened up". We had NO other rooms
for her family except the rooms she was
cancelling. She asked about letting the children sleep on the floor with other relatives and we did explain that this was not permitted. It was not just said "laughingly". She said she would deal with the sleeping situation when she got here. Since she no longer had reservations with our lodge, we were concerned that she would get here with a family of 5 and have a problem on our hands. We decided to call her back and explain the hotels policies so as to clarify
any problems in advance of their arrival. She
was not happy with this and by the time I spoke with her she was screaming at me for
5 minutes demanding an apology. I did indeed say that I could speak with after she calmed down as we were getting nowhere
screaming.
Secondly, to say that any person needs a
"stiff drink", professional help, or a breif trip
to the looney bin" is so unethical especially
for a "trained social worker" and should NOT
be posted for other people to read. That is personal and has nothing to do with the hotel.
The rest of her family is still staying with us
and has stated to just ignore her.
I'm asking that this review be deleted from
the internet as it is not a fair review of the
facts and that she cancelled her reservations
and intended to do exactly what she intended
to do.
Respectfully submitted,
Sharon Clark
hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

This hotel is located right on Ocean Avenue, making it just a short walk to everything in carmel and short ride in your car to Monterey, Carmel Valley, and Pacific Grove. They have their own parking lot, which means you never have to search for parking. We had Room #41, which is a one bedroom suite with a small kitchen and living room. This is a dark room because it is on the bottom floor of the facility, but at night it's fine because every room is dark at night! :P Being right on Ocean Ave can be the pits because you can hear the people talking outside. The worst is when they stop right in front of your room to converse! The bathroom is large as is the bedroom. There are two couches, one of which is a pullout. The fridge is a mini-sized one so don't bring too many things to fit in there. There is no service available between 10pm and 8 am so if you need anything...you're out of luck. In our case, the maid did not place more toilet paper in our room. My husband used the last piece at 11:30 pm. We went to sleep and prayed no one had to use the bathroom till they reopened. That's kind of a bummer, but it is a "2-star" hotel so it is what it is. We also encountered a weird smell in our room when we first walked in. Each person who walked in (on separate occasions) noticed in. The manager came right over and ran the water to flush everything out of the pipes and that seemed to do the trick. Also, our door didn't lock so well so be careful. It's the old-fashioned lock and key rooms (no key cards) and our locked wasn't aligned exactly right so if you didn't pull it really hard, just a slight push would send it flying open. The rooms are all either down or up a few stairs so don't pack heavily. Oh...and bring a small car if you can. Parking spaces are small and most are at a pretty steep slant and to open a big car door in a tight space with gravity fighting you can be a pain. All that said, the rooms were big and the place was convenient with a free breakfast. Good enough, right?

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank erune
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

My husband and I picked Lobos Lodge due to its fabulous location. We received a nice rate of $139 for a King size bed which included a delicious, warm muffin, fruit, and juice that was delivered direct to the room. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean, and it had a nice inviting feeling tone. The room had a fireplace that worked at the flip of a switch. We are looking forward to our next visit to Lobos Lodge!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Tampa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

We stayed in room 17. Big spacious room with king bed and a fold out sleeper sofa. Had a view of the ocean from the balcony between the trees, but it was better than being in one of the rooms in the bottom of the hotel! Hotel was a downhill walk to the beach and and right on main street. Park your car and walk everywhere!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Cheshire UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

Stayed in May 2009 for one night, the room was quite big with a nice balcony and good fittings etc. Breakfast and newspaper which was included in the price was delivered to our door which was very nice. It had a very convenient location in the centre of the town on the main street down to the beach. Our short stay was very enjoyable and would reccoment it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2009
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

We stayed here last year in April and gave a better review. Even though we stayed in the same room, it is not as good of a review.

The mattress definitely needs to be updated along with all of the furniture.

We still enjoyed the location close to Carmel beach and the price is affordable.

Also, we left a comment card last year at the hotel expressing disappointment that we could not get breakfast until 8 AM. We like to get out and start down the coast earlier than that. This year, our breakfast was even delivered late. It was a heavy pastry and juice.

Overall, the experience was good, but was less than excellent.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple