“Very Nice Hotel, But Choose Your Room Carefully” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Lobos Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Lobos Lodge
Monte Verde Street And Ocean Avenue, PO Box L-1, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #7 of 21 hotels in Carmel
Mill Valley
“Very Nice Hotel, But Choose Your Room Carefully”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is a very nice hotel: clean, comfortable, attractive. Our room I'd say was enormous by Carmel standards. It's very conveniently located at the end of the commercial part of Ocean Ave. only about 4 blocks from the beach (just know that it's a bit of a hill down and back). The staff is friendly and the amenities (linens, towels, afternoon cookies, etc.) are nice. Breakfast is basically one big pastry, but a good one.

Those things said it's important to choose you room very carefully. In downstairs rooms you hear the people upstairs walking around a lot. Rooms in the front are right on Ocean Avenue which has a lot of foot and car traffic. Rooms in the back are quieter except for Room 34 which backs up on a salon. They were open from 7:30AM until 7PM and we heard loud talking, water running and things moving around pretty constantly through that whole time.

In summary, with the right room this is a nice place to stay in Carmel.

Room Tip: Stay away from Room 34! Also I recommend second floor if you can.

357 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

It is located at the bottom of the hill of he busy Carmel By the Sea shopping and dining area of town. After reading the reviews when I booked our room, I asked for an upper floor room but there weren't any available because our trip was so soon. We were located off of the parking lot in room 34. I never heard anything or anyone upstairs and they were completely sold out. The only time I knew anyone was at the hotel was I heard some people talking as they walked by. The room was much larger than I had anticipated even with seeing the photos. It had beautiful hard wood floors and what looked like brand new couch and rugs. The mattress was great (although we did bring our own pillows). The breakfast was great. The pastries served were huge and tasty. The first morning we had almond croissants and the second morning it was enormous blueberry scones. If we head back this way again I would definitely head here again. Not only is the price great but the rooms are large, clean and the staff is friendly.

Oregon, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

The location of this new lodge is fabulous for walking through Carmel and to the beach (the best in the world in my opinion with the clean powdery sugared sand)! Plenty of parking and off the street just enough by the angular architecture of this white Mediterranean structured building which houses a mini boutique and hair salon off the sidewalk to keep street noises at bay. Yet you are in the middle of shopping and fabulous restaurants. Carmel is easy to walk through and find your way around. My husband and I booked an upstairs king suite where no special touch was forgotten. From the sunny yellow tones of the room accented with white and teal to the large sky light window, luxuriously soft towels and good for you soaps, single serve Keurig coffee pot with great coffee, the deck, the couch and TV area...my oh my where do I stop? I can't because there is more! Nan at the desk makes you feel as you have known her all your life! She shows complete interest in each patron and gave them her full attention to detail with politeness, care, and professionalism. There are cookies and coffee in the lobby and lots of books to peruse if you wish to take a break in your day. Oh I can't forget the most important point. The bed...the mattress...I finally slept for the first time in a week while on the road. I slept like a baby and slept late which is unusual for me! They offer a delivered to your room breakfast which we were unable to partake due to the hour we needed to leave in the morning. We will be back and will not only stay here but recommend this to anyone we know going to Carmel.

Mill Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

A perfectly located spot on busy Ocean Avenue...just a few blocks walk down to the great beach and right up the block to all the shops and restaurants. Super huge rooms, very clean, very comfortable bed and towels. The room was more like a suite with a sitting area that was great for relaxing after hiking/walking the area. The main negative we had was the noise from the beauty salon which backed to our room. For some reason, the man in their began talking at 7:30 am! And, I mean loudly!. Certainly, it would be a great advantage to have an upper floor here so you don't hear your neighbors walking around, also. Friendly staff. Huge pastries are delivered to your room along with fruit for a continental breakfast. I'd go again but would be careful about room selection.

Room Tip: Careful here...upstairs...17 and 18 looked like real winners! Ones facing Ocean will be noisy and o...
Dublin, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

For those searching for a place to stay in the Carmel/Monterey area that won't break the bank (at least not totally) and is nice, restful, beyond the utilitarian motel-type places, this is it. We really enjoyed the gas fireplace since the weather was typical for Carmel in the summer ... foggy, drippy, and gloomy. The bed was great and the sitting area made for a nice place to hang out within the room. We arrived early, wanting to just check-in and park our car while we walked around Carmel until our room was ready. But our room was ready when we arrived. The down-side was a City-wide water problem with iron making the water turn brown. By the time we returned from dinner that evening, it was better, but I still used bottled water to brush my teeth. The only other downside was the outdated TV, but that was minor in my opinion. Our room (#11) included great bed linens, gas fireplace with sitting area, hardwood floors, and a bathroom with the toilet and shower separate. The shower was a bit challenging to work, with touchy fixtures making it hard to keep the water temp just right. Despite these (minor) problems, I thought that the place was great and the location even better.

Doncaster
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We had been in the US travelling the West Coast for a month and this was one of the last hotels during our stay! We loved this hotel from the moment we checked in, the staff was extremely friendly and told us the best restaurants in the town. Lodge is very central location to all the shops and only a 5 min walk from the beach.

The room is very spacious and has a vanity room and separate bathroom! The room has a small patio area and had a very beach vibe. The breakfast was delivered to our room, it wasn't much but a very nice touch!

The price was very reasonable for location and the room! we have visited a number of hotels during our treks and this was cheapest and by far the best we received.

Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

The Lobos Lodge is in a great location in the heart of Carmel. There are many restaurants, shops and places to explore within walking distance. The beach is a quick walk as well! Our room was clean and spacious, and included breakfast in the morning. Breakfast consisted of delicious pastries, juice and fruit that is delivered right to your room. We were able to walk to dinner both nights of our stay and walk around town. The only complaints about Lobos Lodge was that the walls are very thin, we could hear the couple staying above us walking and talking. I would stay here again but request a top floor room! We highly recommend dining at Dametra Cafe which is across the street from Lobos Lodge. Make sure to make a reservation as without one you will have a long wait. Overall the Lobos Lodge was a great place to stay in Carmel.

Room Tip: Top Floor room!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Lobos Lodge? Share your experiences!