“Good value right in Carmel town” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lobos Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Lobos Lodge
You added Lobos Lodge to your Saves list
Monte Verde Street And Ocean Avenue, PO Box L-1, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
sydney
“Good value right in Carmel town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Recently on our way up Highway 1 driving to San Francisco, we stayed in the Lobos Lodge for 3 nights. The location makes the Lodge overwhelmingly the best for easy access to shops and restaurants in Carmel, being right on the very edge of the town centre but also quiet. We contemplated other better rated accommodation, but were very pleased with the reasonable cost, room size, cleanliness, and Lodge reception when we arrived. The continental breakfast promptly delivered to each room is nevertheless very limited and I felt it could have been a little better.

However, our room was located beneath a room above, and movement and voices could be easily heard through the ceiling, which was disappointing given sound retarding treatment can be easily applied to reduce this problem.

The onsite car parking is easily accessible to the accommodation, however I recommend parking in the lower half of the car park as the upper area is both limited and more sloping which makes entry to a car a little difficult, particularly for older travellers.

Room Tip: I strongly recommend requesting a room with a balcony and a fireplace, and particularly a room in th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stopped off to see Carmel on our road trip from San Francisco to Vegas as it was recommended to us. Carmel is a beautiful place with a main street (Ocean Drive) running straight down to the beach. We arrived with no bookings for accommodation and tried lobos lodge as the price was really competitive and the service from staff was fantastic. We had a road side room which was HUGE, we had a balcony and the walk to the beach was a couple of minutes. There was an evening turn down service with chocolates left on the pillow and the reception had complimentary drinks, fruit and cookies. This was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

From the outside the lodge does not look like much but the rooms are lovely and so warm and comfortable.

We arrived in Carmel for a night and ended up staying 4 days because we felt so at home.

A continental breakfast is served in the morning (a muffin with juice) but the staff and town is a delight.

This town and lodge was a highlight of our trip.

Room Tip: Balcany room on 1st floor is a must!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Clearwater, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We stayed in Carmel as part of a larger tour of California. It was a stop on our way from San Francisco to San Diego and we couldn't have been happier with Lobos Lodge. The room was great, very clean, small fireplace, continental breakfast delivered to your room. The amenities weren't many, but the rooms and location right in downtown Carmel makes up for that. It was superbly located, walking distance to both the beach and any restaurants or shops you are looking for. The little pathways to each room were fun, although not easy to maneuver a large suitcase. So make sure to pack light or bring a small suitcase!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Camarillo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The location couldn't be better. Easy access to the beach. shops, restaurants, etc. The room was comfortable. I needed feather/down pillows which they supplied with no problem. I had a view, through and around the trees, of the water and beautiful sunsets when it wasn't raining.
Staff was friendly and helpful. The continental breakfast was adequate, however, they need to use baskets (which many places use) instead of those heavy trays. Also, would like breakfast served a little later. As for lights, I would have liked a couple of strong reading lights, but low lighting is everywhere and the Lodge had better lighting than many places I've stayed recently. I usually have to carry a couple of light bulbs when I travel in the US so I can read.

FYI - they were working on their wi-fi and I had no problem getting it. Of course, for me, it was easier in the office area, but I am not that tech savvy.

In any case, I will be back this year and am looking forward to it.

Room Tip: Request a room on the intermediate or upper levels if possible. Some stairs, but easy.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Manhattan Beach, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My wife and I had a reservation for the Lobos Lodge last August. We were going to go from Carmel to San Francisco for a brief vacation of a week, in all. We're both retired and on a fixed income, but the $180 per night didn't sound out of line considering it was the high season. But I was hospitalized a week before we were to leave and had to cancel the trip. Unfortunately, I didn't cancel it in time -- what with the hospital and the medical visits -- and Lobos Lodge refused to refund my deposit, or even to allow us to come at another time. The hotel where we were going to stay in San Francisco, however, gave us a total refund and wished me well. I understand why the Lobos Lodge felt it could not refund my money. I hope they understand why, when we do make it up to Carmel, we will never stay there. The people I spoke to were pleasant, to be sure. But I'm 72 and retired, and $180 is a lot of money to us.

Room Tip: I've never seen it. As I was just out of the hospital, doctors told me not to go. But reviews su...
Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We spent two days here, utterly frustrated by the fact that wi-fi was either non existent, or incredibly slow - 5 mins to download a page. When we complained we were told that no body else had complained - they obviously have not looks at the previous criticism on trip advisor about this, or else they just ignored it. I was on work duty as well as visiting Cambria, so this tech neglect was a nightmare. It should not have been a problem, as we could get the signal for the Inn across the road more times than for Lobos Lodge.

Also, had to get help with the TV - no instructions, plus box for receiving programs hidden behind the TV. Plus - do note that the rooms are dark - when we arrived at 3.30 p.m. we had to use all the lights in our room to see, despite the sun shining outside. Many of the rooms are like this.

The location is excellent, the rooms spacious and comfortable. But all spoiled because of terrible internet connections - do not visit here if this is important to your comfort.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Lobos Lodge? Share your experiences!