“Wonderful place, but with a few reservations” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mission Ranch

We can't find prices for this hotel
Mission Ranch
You added Mission Ranch to your Saves list
26270 Dolores Street, Carmel, CA 93923   |
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
San Francisco, California
“Wonderful place, but with a few reservations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

I reserved our room for two nights at Mission Ranch based on the TripAdvisor reviews, as well as the high praise this place garners in other travel guides. It is beautifully located facing the south, with Point Lobos on the near horizon and a meadow filled with sheep right next door. The rooms are located in picturesque buildings of modest size, all beautifully appointed. There is a gourmet restaurant on site, so it's not at all necessary to go very far to get an excellent meal. We have very few reservations recommending this place highly. I would easily give it five stars, but for a few things.
First, unfortunately for the hotel, in the 1990's (long after this beautiful establishment came into existence) an elementary school was built right next door. Unfortunately for us, our room (16A) was/is located immediately adjacent to the chain-link fence separating the hotel's property from that of the school. The little patio outside our room, while charming, was ruined by the fact you couldn't really see beyond this chain-link fence (disguised, of course, by vines and plantings, but nevertheless still all-too-close to our room). We were awakened around 8 a.m. by the shouts, cries, chorused (and incessantly repeated) songs of the school kids right next door. I'm sure there are other rooms at this hotel that do not suffer from this problem. Unfortunately, they undoubtedly also cost a whole lot more than our already quite expensive room cost.
Second, both my wife and I thought the mattress on our Texas-King sized bed was way too soft for comfort. Neither of us could move an inch without the entire mattress jiggling like a bowl of jelly. A bit more firmness would have been greatly appreciated.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is not on the boundary of the next door elementary school
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Mountain View, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

I went to the Mission Ranch again this last month, as I have the last few years. I complained about the worn out sagging beds last. I was told that the 2 beds last year were just an anomaly, and that beds were replaced regularly, if there was any question. I found the bed this time horrible. It sagged severely, and neither I or my wife could find a comfortable way to sleep that night. I complained to the front desk help. They said that they could do nothing, but that I could fill out the survey. I asked to talk to the manager, or someone that could repond to my complaint. I was told that no one was available. I emailed a letter of complaint, and got no response. I sent it again and got a terse reply "that we are looking into this". No thank you. No refund for the sleepless night. I find this totally unsatisfactory. Go elsewhere, and do not waste the time with a sleepless night, and rude, dismissive, arrogant non-service.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Orchard Park, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Mission Ranch is truly "Country Living" in Quiet, Peaceful Carmel. A former dairy farm, Mission Ranch has been Transformed into beautiful Quest Cottages and Apartments to help you enjoy "The Country", yet close to Carmel shopping, Golf courses and Restaurants. You'll find a Tennis center, Fitness center and Fine Dining in the Superb Restaurant with a view of green pasture land and fabulous Sunsets. We will Return to Mission Ranch.

Phil Scheeler
Orchard Park, New York

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
JACKSONVILLE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

We loved this place from the moment we drove onto the property. From the fireplaces in the rooms to the rocking chairs on the porches overlooking the sheep filled pasture, you can't go wrong.

We'll stay longer next time!

Room Tip: We loved our cabin.
Knoxville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Carmel is a charming town and this is a lovely setting. It's a drive to town for dinner but the nightlife is right on the property. The rooms are definitely dated, old furniture and retro bedspreads. It is not a luxury hotel. If you have heavy luggage, don't stay on the tops floors because you'll be carrying everything up the stairs yourself. Still, compared to some of the other hotels we stayed at during this trip, the St Regis, Bernardo's and the Post Ranch Inn, the Mission Ranch was a bargain.
We stayed two nights. The first night we ate in town and stopped by the piano bar based on the comments we read. My husband just happens to have a great voice. I mentioned this to the host and the bartender and they obviously had heard that one before. So we sat at the bar and listened for a while to get the lay of the land. While we were sitting there, a few servers came up to the bartender, disgruntled and complaining about the patrons sitting at their tables. We decided right then that we would not be eating there the next night like we had planned.
It is apparent that the bar is full of regulars who like to have a good time. I did talk my husband into singing and it was so fun. Dozens of screaming tipsy women singing at the top of their lungs. They would not him leave until the bar closed. So proud! Afterward BOTH the bartender and the host pulled me aside and said I wasn't kidding!
The lower level of the meadow view triplex is probably the best room to request. The continental breakfast was a bummer. They do have a restaurant so it would be nice if they served something a bit nicer.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Once again we looked at many options for our stay in Carmel so we decided on the Mission Ranch for a few days and then move into downtown ( 12 minutes walk:) ) for a couple of days.
The Mission Ranch is a real joy, we booked one of the Meadowview Fourplex rooms ,39 , facing the meadow with the legendary Mission Ranch sheep. The whole experience here is amazing , we could sit on our deck and observe the meadow with the beach and ocean beyond . Initially we thought we could walk directly to the beach but we were told that there is a bird sanctuary between the ranch and the beach so if you wish to walk then it is a nice stroll around Dolores St and on to 15th which will take you to the beach. We actually walked to Clint's old saloon the Hog's Breath Bar for the early bird and then strolled down Ocean Avenue to the beach and watched a glorious sunset and then carried on back to the Carmel River and up to Mission
Ranch.....The continental breakfast in the tennis club is mediocre so we walked the 12 minutes down Dolores , be careful as there are no sidewalks for most of the way, to the wonderful Tuck Box cafe for breakfast , great eggs Benedict in a fantasy setting!
The wonderful thing about staying here is the access to all the interesting places around Carmel e.g. the Carmel Mission is 5 minutes walk.
We will be back here again!

Room Tip: The Meadowview Fourplex rooms are wonderful , we stayed in room 39 with a deck overlooking the meado...
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

I don't want to mess with Clint Eastwood, and this is his ranch. The buildings are very charming from the outside, but we found them to be very dated on the inside and in need of updating. The sheep meadow with the lagoon in the background is a pretty backdrop. The ranch's bar was hopping with a crowd of older entertainers, and it felt a bit like a regulars' bar. In terms of location, the ranch is on the edge of town. It means you are going to be driving to meals and likely driving to the beach. Next time, we would likely try to stay in town.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mission Ranch? Share your experiences!