“Simple, quiet, lovely B&B” 4 of 5 stars

Sandpiper Inn Carmel
2408 Bay View Ave., Carmel, CA 93923   |
Ranked #12 of 30 Carmel B&B and Inns
Palo Alto, California
“Simple, quiet, lovely B&B”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our one-night stay. They were not full for the weekend and I had called the prior Thursday morning, so they waived the two night minimum.

The room was simple, elegant and inviting. Everything was clean and in good repair. The staff was warm and helpful. The breakfast was nice: fresh fruit, quiche, yogurt, and granola. They serve afternoon tea also. I regret not sitting out by the fire pit. It looked inviting, but we got back from dinner too late for further entertainment.

The best part is the location. They are a block from the beach; walk down the stairs and you find yourself on the south end. Walk a mile along the beach and you find yourself on the north end and blocks from downtown.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: We had room 17, a corner room. It was very peaceful there.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

184 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I was lucky to be able to book a room at the Sandpiper. It was Valentines weekend and I surprised that there was an availability albeit only for one night. The facility was very inviting from the moment we walked in the front door. Our room #4 was the perfect size a queen bed with a sitting area next to a gas fireplace. Even though it was a rare 75 degrees in February we still enjoyed the fire at night for the ambiance. My wife was pleasantly surprised with this place and we intend to come back and spend a couple of days. The sound of the waves crashing in the background put us into a deep and relaxing sleep.
The breakfast was absolutely great? What a way to start a day...

Room Tip: Corner rooms seem to be quiter and have more privacy.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We went to this place in July of 2012. I love the dining/living area. When we arrived classical music was playing and the fireplace was on. It felt really warm and inviting. We had two rooms. One for our three daughter which was next to the living area in the outside area (room 16). This room is very spacious and is perfect for 3 people. It has a big bed and one small bed. Nice seating area and closet. When you open the outside door it's right in from of the open fire pit. The fire pit (if it's not on) the front desk will turn it on for you. It has several chairs/couch to sit and relax. I could get Internet connection from this area too. I enjoyed sitting on the cool evenings reading a book and listening to the waves of the sea. We were in room 15 which is in the back of the main building. Our room was nice, and very clean. It has a heater and heats up pretty fast. The room is small but has everything we needed. The bathrooms are nice and filled with elegant soaps. The shower is awesome. It comes out super strong and felt like a massage to me.

The Staff: Very pleasant. They always were helpful and very professional. Breakfast is served every morning in the dining area. I am a early bird so I was in their early with my laptop. They have a nice selection of items. Lots of fruit, simple items like milk and cereal or you can request and hot warm breakfast. I would come in and get a cup of fresh, brewed coffee,tea, and juice. One of the cooks would come over to ask me did I want a croissant. They made various kinds. My favorite was the ham and cheese. The cooks were very kind. I enjoyed just taking with them each day. I felt like they were a part of my family. You ever watch Downton Abby? It reminds me of that setting. Walking into a place where you felt cared for and having a place to relax and be taken care of. We actually hugged the staff when we left. I hated to leave. In the evening cookies and other pastries are served along with tea. Warning: The cookies are delicious so be careful if you are on a diet. You will be able to go into the kitchen area at night a put items in the refrigerator if you like. You can also make instant coffee, or tea or get water that you can take back to your room. There is also a TV in the living area and it has cable. Not too many people watched T. V when I was there. I did on Friday night.

The downside: No Internet access in my room or my girl's room. There is Wi Fi in the dining area. I am assuming there is wi fi in the area (rooms in the main building). So if you need some form of entertainment I would recommend bringing some DVD's and a DVD player or battery radio.

There are a lot of shops nearby and I saw many people just walking down the strip. They have maps to show you where everything is. We decided to drive. It's a very safe area. Police are all over the place. Well it's Carmel. LOL. The Inn is about 2 blocks from the ocean which is nice. We walked there and you can actually see the beach. There are so many big, beautiful homes in the area. I would recommend driving all the way down the strip to the I think it was called State Park. It's another part of the beach and a bigger place to park. That part of the beach was really clean.
My daughter lost her Samsung I pod on the beach. Fortunately a man found it and turned it in to the police. We went to the station and got it back. Wow, that would never happen in a big city.

Our favorite lunch place was Bruno's. I can't remember the street but it's a store but in the back they make sandwiches. They seem to stay busy but they make big, huge sandwiches.

Ok I know this was long but I wanted to tell you everything I could to help.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

A short block away from the crashing waves and white sand beach and close to the downtown shops and restaurants of Carmel, this inn is the perfect spot for visitors to the area. We arrived very late in the evening, having driven through some heavy rain on unfamiliar highways. A member of the staff waited to greet us and make sure we were comfortably lodged for the night. We were most grateful for that courtesy. We ended up staying two nights at The Sandpiper, heading out for a day trip around Carmel and Monterey, returning in the evening to the Great Room at the Inn to enjoy a drink by the fireplace. The neighbourhood where the inn is located is quiet, charming and architecturally very interesting. Very inviting for a stroll. Our room was comfortable and well appointed. We enjoyed a very nice breakfast both mornings. The friendly and helpful staff at the Sandpiper made our stay most enjoyable. Hoping to return one day.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Inverness, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

When I travel, I try to look for lodging that doesn't allow pets, children or TV. In my mind, a stay in Carmel, CA should be an experience without the distractions of everyday life. I have been staying at the Sandpiper during my trips to Carmel for the last 5 years. The crashing waves of nearby Carmel Beach, just a block away, residential quiet, hearty breakfast in the great room, old world charm and uber-friendly staff makes me come back time after time. This will always be my home away from home in beautiful Carmel-by-the-Sea. I shouldn't be talking like this; there goes my secret!

Room Tip: I have preference for Cottage C, which is a semi-detached room next to main building or Room 14 acro...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The rooms are very tastefully decorated, clean and warm, the lobby area and the breakfast room are cozy and inviting. The location is quiet .Just a minute's walk and you are on the beach so that was really convenient. The inn keepers are very cordial and helpful. Had a wonderful experience!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Alameda, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My boyfriend and I just spent the weekend here at the Sandpiper Inn and had a great time. It's a beautiful place with views of Carmel Bay. The rooms are charming, clean, and nicely decorated. Breakfast consisted of fresh fruit, yogurt, granola and we had a choice of 2 different kinds of home made quiches or croissants. It's located a short walk from downtown Carmel so it's nice and quiet and we enjoyed seeing all the different and charming houses in the neighborhood. The staff was very friendly and helpful.
Would definitely return!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandpiper Inn Carmel? Share your experiences!