“Love this Place!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 28 Carmel B&B and Inns
Dallas, North Carolina
“Love this Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We went to this place in July of 2012. I love the dining/living area. When we arrived classical music was playing and the fireplace was on. It felt really warm and inviting. We had two rooms. One for our three daughter which was next to the living area in the outside area (room 16). This room is very spacious and is perfect for 3 people. It has a big bed and one small bed. Nice seating area and closet. When you open the outside door it's right in from of the open fire pit. The fire pit (if it's not on) the front desk will turn it on for you. It has several chairs/couch to sit and relax. I could get Internet connection from this area too. I enjoyed sitting on the cool evenings reading a book and listening to the waves of the sea. We were in room 15 which is in the back of the main building. Our room was nice, and very clean. It has a heater and heats up pretty fast. The room is small but has everything we needed. The bathrooms are nice and filled with elegant soaps. The shower is awesome. It comes out super strong and felt like a massage to me.

The Staff: Very pleasant. They always were helpful and very professional. Breakfast is served every morning in the dining area. I am a early bird so I was in their early with my laptop. They have a nice selection of items. Lots of fruit, simple items like milk and cereal or you can request and hot warm breakfast. I would come in and get a cup of fresh, brewed coffee,tea, and juice. One of the cooks would come over to ask me did I want a croissant. They made various kinds. My favorite was the ham and cheese. The cooks were very kind. I enjoyed just taking with them each day. I felt like they were a part of my family. You ever watch Downton Abby? It reminds me of that setting. Walking into a place where you felt cared for and having a place to relax and be taken care of. We actually hugged the staff when we left. I hated to leave. In the evening cookies and other pastries are served along with tea. Warning: The cookies are delicious so be careful if you are on a diet. You will be able to go into the kitchen area at night a put items in the refrigerator if you like. You can also make instant coffee, or tea or get water that you can take back to your room. There is also a TV in the living area and it has cable. Not too many people watched T. V when I was there. I did on Friday night.

The downside: No Internet access in my room or my girl's room. There is Wi Fi in the dining area. I am assuming there is wi fi in the area (rooms in the main building). So if you need some form of entertainment I would recommend bringing some DVD's and a DVD player or battery radio.

There are a lot of shops nearby and I saw many people just walking down the strip. They have maps to show you where everything is. We decided to drive. It's a very safe area. Police are all over the place. Well it's Carmel. LOL. The Inn is about 2 blocks from the ocean which is nice. We walked there and you can actually see the beach. There are so many big, beautiful homes in the area. I would recommend driving all the way down the strip to the I think it was called State Park. It's another part of the beach and a bigger place to park. That part of the beach was really clean.
My daughter lost her Samsung I pod on the beach. Fortunately a man found it and turned it in to the police. We went to the station and got it back. Wow, that would never happen in a big city.

Our favorite lunch place was Bruno's. I can't remember the street but it's a store but in the back they make sandwiches. They seem to stay busy but they make big, huge sandwiches.

Ok I know this was long but I wanted to tell you everything I could to help.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

A short block away from the crashing waves and white sand beach and close to the downtown shops and restaurants of Carmel, this inn is the perfect spot for visitors to the area. We arrived very late in the evening, having driven through some heavy rain on unfamiliar highways. A member of the staff waited to greet us and make sure we were comfortably lodged for the night. We were most grateful for that courtesy. We ended up staying two nights at The Sandpiper, heading out for a day trip around Carmel and Monterey, returning in the evening to the Great Room at the Inn to enjoy a drink by the fireplace. The neighbourhood where the inn is located is quiet, charming and architecturally very interesting. Very inviting for a stroll. Our room was comfortable and well appointed. We enjoyed a very nice breakfast both mornings. The friendly and helpful staff at the Sandpiper made our stay most enjoyable. Hoping to return one day.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Inverness, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

When I travel, I try to look for lodging that doesn't allow pets, children or TV. In my mind, a stay in Carmel, CA should be an experience without the distractions of everyday life. I have been staying at the Sandpiper during my trips to Carmel for the last 5 years. The crashing waves of nearby Carmel Beach, just a block away, residential quiet, hearty breakfast in the great room, old world charm and uber-friendly staff makes me come back time after time. This will always be my home away from home in beautiful Carmel-by-the-Sea. I shouldn't be talking like this; there goes my secret!

Room Tip: I have preference for Cottage C, which is a semi-detached room next to main building or Room 14 acro...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The rooms are very tastefully decorated, clean and warm, the lobby area and the breakfast room are cozy and inviting. The location is quiet .Just a minute's walk and you are on the beach so that was really convenient. The inn keepers are very cordial and helpful. Had a wonderful experience!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Alameda, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My boyfriend and I just spent the weekend here at the Sandpiper Inn and had a great time. It's a beautiful place with views of Carmel Bay. The rooms are charming, clean, and nicely decorated. Breakfast consisted of fresh fruit, yogurt, granola and we had a choice of 2 different kinds of home made quiches or croissants. It's located a short walk from downtown Carmel so it's nice and quiet and we enjoyed seeing all the different and charming houses in the neighborhood. The staff was very friendly and helpful.
Would definitely return!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed in the Sandpiper Inn for 2 nights as part of an amazing road trip down the PCH1 from San Fran to LA Sep ‘12 taking in all the sites on the way over a 4 day period.

We decided to stay in Carmel as we had heard how nice the Carmel and Pebble Beach area was in addition to wanting to see the Aquarium, Whale Watching etc at Monterey Bay.

We booked Room 1 which was a ground floor room and the largest at the inn as we had lots of baggage for our 3 week holiday in California.

The Good
Room 1 was very romantic – big old fashioned bed you could just fall into, instant gas fire, lots of space but the bathroom was a tad small. Best of all you can hear the ocean crashing on the beach from your room!
Service was friendly and décor inviting…nice country home feel to the place, firepit outdoors etc.
Breakfast adequate but nothing to write home about. Other B&Bs made a bigger effort with breakie on our trip. Think we had quiche one morning and had to dash out to get to the Whale Watch another morning.
Parking is a hassle in Carmel but the Inn has plenty of parking out front.
You are 2 min walk from the end of Carmel beach with those evening sunset walks which are spectacular …don’t miss them!

The Bad
You are 20-25mins walk from the town centre so if you plan on dinning at night in town be warned that there is very little street lighting around Carmel if you are walking/driving etc.
The walls are thin at the Inn and while its generally peaceful we did hear a couple’s loud amorous activities upstairs late one night…I suspect so did the entire Inn!lol
No TV in the room is I suppose part of the Inn’s charms but I can see how this is maybe not for everyone…we didn’t mind.

If we are ever in the area again we would stay here again.

Other tips:
Book a lunch seat at the Bench café in Pebble Beach and watch one of the greatest golfing views over the 18th hole towards Carmel beach….spectacular! (and this from an Irish guy who is used to seeing some of the most beautiful coastal golf courses in the world).
Take the 17 mile drive and drink in those views because you wont ever be able to afford those houses!..ps you don’t have to pay the toll if you have a Pebble Beach booking.
Whale Watch in Monterey Bay…take the early morning boat…go see the Aquarium afterwards.
Stroll down Carmel town centre with all its quirky shops and eateries.
Take a bottle of wine and watch the sunset at Carmel beach.

Room Tip: Room 1 on the ground floor is the laregest and is very romantic
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We had a wonderful time in this B&B. Short walk to carmel beach and to the shops in Carmel. Carmel by the Sea is a quaint town. Hospitality is unparalleled. Wonderful and gracious hosts with good breakfast and afternoon wine reception. We will definitely resommend this place and will come back again.

Room Tip: Queen room -ocean front
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandpiper Inn Carmel? Share your experiences!