“Enchanting and cozy cottages” 5 of 5 stars

Happy Landing Inn
Monte Verde Between 5th and 6th, P.O. Box 2619, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #7 of 28 Carmel B&B and Inns
Chino Hills, California
“Enchanting and cozy cottages”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

We will definitely return to the Happy Landing Inn! The 7 cottages face a lovely garden and outdoor fireplace area. Each cottage is uniquely designed and decorated after an icon. They renovated the cottages and lobby in January 2014. Our "Hemingway" room was snug (we chose the smallest room on the property) however it was completely charming, clean and romantic. They are very dog friendly yet do a great job keeping the grounds and cottages exceptionally clean, so there's no trace of pets for the next guest.

In the morning they brought a tray to our room including quiche, a croissant, fresh fruit, juice and coffee.

They are perfectly located a couple of blocks off of Ocean Avenue and only a few blocks away from the beach. This adorable inn comes highly recommended by us!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Rocklin, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

My husband and I booked this B&B last minute for our 1 year anniversary. Dawn was so accommodating and got us in the Marilyn room because I wanted a bath tub. When we first walked it we were blown away. The room was sooooo beautiful and had much character! My husband loved the complimentary sherry that was provided as well. The fire place was started with a turn of a knob, the living space was comfy, the king size bed was sooooo comfortable. Not to mention that the grounds were beautiful and very romantic. The little detail put into decoration of the room was amazing. Dawn was happy to give suggestions on where to stay. The breakfast was possibly one of the best parts. Dawn delivers warm fresh breakfast (quiche, warm croissants, tea/coffee of your choice, and fresh orange juice) to your room when you are ready. It was wonderful to eat breakfast in our living room next to the fire. I cannot wait to stay here again! 2-5 minute walk to every place in town!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Oakland, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

I had the pleasure of staying here for one night in early April 2014 with my 2 large & well-behaved pooches. This was my second time here; around the same time last year I took my at-the-time only dog. His birthday & mine are both in the first half of April and going to Carmel in early April has become a common way to celebrate our birthdays. We spend the day on the nearby off-leash beach and can dine together at many of the restaurants in this very dog-friendly town.

The B&B has been nicely updated since my previous visit. Since it was just myself, I stayed in the smallest of the 7 rooms, the Hemingway Room. Each room is named after an American icon. The room was well-appointed & had a very comfortable double sleigh bed, leather club chairs and a view of the garden. There was ample room for myself and my dogs. Another adult in the room would probably be too tight for most people but the other rooms are larger and I believe would accommodate couples very well.

Dawn is a gracious and pleasant hostess and is happy to make suggestions about places to eat. She also serves a very satisfying breakfast: juice, beverage of your choice, a large muffin and good-size slice of quiche. The food is served to your room but if the weather is nice and you are so inclined you can dine in the garden area.

One minor inconvenience relates to the bathroom; it is rather snug and the shower head is fairly low. I'm a mere 5'8" and I had to lower my head when shampooing. If you are tall you might find this to be fairly inconvenient. I do not know what the bathrooms are like in the other rooms. Again this was a minor inconvenience for me and I would certainly stay here again in the future.

All in all a very nice B&B and at rates I feel are very reasonable.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

great place for a drive up the coast, very pet friendly we took our 110 lbs lab with us no extra charge, walking distance to the main street in carmel and the beach, rooms are clean showers are hot coffee is very good recently painted its a great little bead and breakfast

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

After searching Yelp etc I landed at the Happy Landing Inn. The location is great..a block and a half off of the main street in Carmel, easy walk to the beach and all "downtown".
The room was cute, small. (#5) and a little weird with a folding door in the toilet instead of a solid one..other than that
The grounds are nicely kept, the lobby is warm and inviting and the Hostess/Inkeeper was wonderful. I mentioned it was a special occasion for my girlfriend and she comped a bottle of Champagne in the room with a note. Nice breakfast of quiche, muffin juice and fruit delivered to your room. I recommend it and will most likely be back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Redwood City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

This is a very cute bed and breakfast. Small, i believe only seven rooms, so you get very good attention. Dog friendly. I would call it rustic, but it was very comfortable. Super close to the main shopping/dining areas, and about 5-6 blocks from the beach. We brought our bikes and rode around the coast, visited the Mission (nice place, too), for a casual ride. Drove about 45 minutes down highway 1 for some amazing coastal views. Parking was easy. And when we had an 11pm issue (our fault) Dawn was there in 5 minutes to handle it. If you want 5 star this isn't for you. But if you want quaint and memorable.....

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Pelham, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

We stayed here two nights in Sept with our two dogs. The place is old in a good way, it's super charming. The bed was comfy the shower hot and we the breakfast in the morning, brought right to our door was hot and the coffee perfect!

It's close to everything you need to walk to in town! including the beach!!!

We lucked out and found this place by first visiting the Horizon Inn which is like the Hotel Concierge/Ambassador for all the hotel/Inns in Carmel. They somehow have all the vacancies & pet friendly spots in town. So if you're like us and have never been to Carmel before and don't realize how much you don't want to leave this place until you get there but then realize all the hotels are booked because it is a gorgeous weekend and nobody else is leaving either, go to the Horizon Inn to find a place to stay in town.

There is also a laundry-mat right next to the Horizon Inn (both on Junipero St) where we did a few loads, they have quarter machines on site.

In town we walked everywhere, we ate outside with our dogs at The Forge in The Forest, excellent happy hour menu! Cypress Inn (Doris Day's Place) is highly recommended! Dogs are very welcome inside by the bar but we opted to sit outside and we could still see into the piano room where 3 men were playing music (I think one piano, one oboe and can't remember the other instrument?) anyways it was so lovely!

We brought our dogs to the beach everyday, yes it's off leash, pet friendly! Everyone we spoke with was so friendly too. There are places to park near the beach, if you can get a spot close, but walking, especially if you're staying at Happy Landings is just as easy.

If you want to see Clint, as in Clint Eastwood, go to his place which is Mission Ranch. We caught him in the parking lot, as he was leaving but it still left us speechless. The locals say you can sometimes spot him behind the piano (in the restaurant) in the afternoons. I can't imagine how sweet that would be... maybe next time!

I really can't think of any cons at Happy Landings. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to turn on the gas fireplace, Oh well. Yeah it could've used a few more things like a couple bottles of water in the room or paper towels would've come in handy, but no biggie.

For the price we paid, this is an awesome place to stay, will definitely come back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Happy Landing Inn? Share your experiences!