“Great Pet Friendly Place - But Loud” 4 of 5 stars

Cypress Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Lincoln and seventh, PO Box y, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
San Diego
“Great Pet Friendly Place - But Loud”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

My husband and I stayed two nights with our dog. Our main reason for picking Cypress Inn was the included breakfast and pet friendliness. This is by far the most pet-friendly hotel (and town for that matter) that I've ever visited. There are dogs everywhere, so this wouldn't be the place for you if you have a problem with dogs. The service we experienced was good and the room was clean and comfortable. The biggest negative is the noise. Our room was just up from the lobby, so there was noise from the bar and other guests until around 10:30pm every night. It's also an old building, so noise carries and it's not very sound proof. The noise level aside, we were satisfied with our experience!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Riverside, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

I've traveled around the world and stay at upscale hotels. The Cypress Inn is lovely and ranks up there with the best experiences that we've had. The service was great and the rooms were clean and comfortable. I am a light sleeper and I had no problems here. There was a comment earlier that the hotel smelled like wet dog. That could not be further from the truth. We were here for several days and did not have any problems with noise or anything. And the dogs with their humans were very well behaved. The hotel's restaurant is great. We had three meals there at different times of day and the service and food were delicious. (My husband loved the burger.) If you're an uptight, non dog person, then you may want to go elsewhere. But if you love a convivial atmosphere that has a very European feel (which to me was attractive as I've lived in Europe where dogs and their owners are not treated as pariahs), then you'll love this hotel. We had a wonderful time and will return.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

The hotel itself is very nice. Large rooms and helpful staff. But stay away if you do not love dogs. They are everywhere. My wife and I had a glass of wine before dinner and next to us the dog owner were sitting with the dog in the chair. Two rottweilers were rushed in and out. Also a lot of barking during night. This was the second time we visited Cypress Inn and the last. But if you have a dog and want to vacate with it it is the perfect place.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

Stayed at the Cypress Inn for 3 nights the food,spa service,gym were fabalous.
Would got back every month. Also pet friendly. GREAT PLACE.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Portland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

We stayed two nights in the Cypress Hotel. As many of the reviews noted, they are very pet friendly and you could even see that there were locals who'd come over for drinks with their dogs. It's location and ambience can't be beat. We thought the restaurant was so good we ate there both evenings. We stayed in Room 118 which is in the new area adjacent to the restaurant but separated by glass doors, facing into a small courtyard. I think next time we'd ask for a different room since it felt a bit claustrophobic to us. Only natural light was from the door and it's a pretty small (but well appointed) room. We spent 6 nights in California and the Cypress was the high point. Will be back.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Annapolis, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

This was a great place to stay -- fun town and gracious staff. I made an error when registering online and showed up to find that they did not have a reservation for me. They graciously credited me for a "no-show" charge from the wrong date and found a lovely room for us (the last available that night). The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. You'd never know it was a pet-friendly room! Best of all, the bed was the most comfortable my husband or I have ever slept in. I would definitely visit Cypress Inn again and refer friends.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

First impression is charming but I'd come for a drink or breakfast only. if you stay you must tolerate entitled dog owners, barking, and boozy locals. Large golden retriever sprawled out at bottom of stairs as owner read the paper and sipped her coffee. Didn't bother to make way for public coming for breakfast. (Isn't this a safety issue?) Don't get a room near the outside lounge; noisy until they close. Loud woman laughing all night and another entitled dog barking every 5 minutes. We had to use earplugs. Very friendly staff. Great location and fabulous breakfast. Bed very comfortable; small rooms and tiny bathroom. Shower so low only fits someone 5' tall. Plush towels and robe. The Greek restaurant D'Metria (?) down the street is terrible, although it is popular. My ravioli was frozen and gluey. I sent it back to be heated up and came back tepid. I used to love Carmel but now find it's charming for about 3 hours then it's time to move on.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Cypress Inn? Share your experiences!