“Must love dogs” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cypress Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Cypress Inn
You added Cypress Inn to your Saves list
Lincoln and seventh, PO Box y, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
Fullerton, California
“Must love dogs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

I visited the Cypress Inn while in town for the Moto GP. The location was great since it was right downtown Carmel walking distance to hotels, bars and shops. 10 min drive to Downtown Monterrey. I am not a dog person and if you are like me you may not enjoy this hotel as much as dog lovers will. While checking in there is a jar of doggie treats (thankfully I don't like sweets, but could definately see someone accidently eat a doggies treat). The place does smell lie wet dogs, but again if you have a dog you might be imune to this smell. It was a very quiet hotel and depending on the visitors it can get very loud at night. The overall is saty was good, just not my cup of tea.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
East Hampton, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

I stayed in Carmel for a few days and found this amazing hotel!!! It is a small fabulous hotel that is very very clean. The Doris Day theme is really unique! The staff was fantastic, very helpful...with anything and everything!! It is in the heart of Carmel so it is wonderful location!! The breakfast in the morning was great and the perfect arragement.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
triumph69
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

I'm from Oakland and Carmel is a different world; a much nicer one for sure. The Cyress Inn seemed like it was a movie set for an old movie, people were friendly and polite like they are in to old movies. And the scene in the bar, with all the dogs, well, that was like a movie too. That could never happen in Oakland.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Walnut Creek, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

If you didn't see the dogs parading through the lobby and halls, you'd never know this is a pet-friendly hotel. They do an exceptional job keeping the rooms cleaned. My sister-in-law and I stayed in a spacious suite with our two dogs. Both dogs were warmly welcomed. Bed was comfortable. Shower was best I've ever seen in a hotel. Free breakfast offered lots of choices. Dinner at hotel restaurant was pricey -- except no worse than elsewhere in Carmel -- but delicious and the dogs were allowed to stay with us. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2010
Carmel, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2010

I spent the other night at the Cypress Inn with my boyfriend, and it was SUCH a perfect romantic getaway (down to all the twinkly lights in the courtyard)! Everything about this hotel is elegant yet cosy, and the service is really top notch. We got the Queen Deluxe room, with a fireplace, jacuzzi tub and flat screen tv. It was very cosy, comfortable, clean and luxurious. The decorations are very tasteful and relaxing. The bed is amazingly comfortable- none of those scratchy discount hotel blankets.

Both my boyfriend and I laughed when we go into the room, because we had heard about the "complimentary bottle of cream sherry" in the rooms, and had both assumed that we would find two little airplane bottles. To our (very happy) surprise there was a huge beautiful decanter of sherry with lovely little sherry glasses set up next to a bowl of fruit and snacks! Which didn't stop us from having a drink in the bar at Terry's lounge, which is a really nice, slightly morrocan themed bar with a huge selection of top shelf wines and liquors. I was prepared to pay a hefty penny for our cocktail because Cypress is so fancy, but it was happy hour, and many things on the menu were super reasonable! Another great surprise.

The best part by far was the massive jacuzzi tub in our room, which easily fit both of us! It was so relaxing, we conked out right afterwards. The only thing I wish was that I had more time in the morning to eat the continental breakfast. Most places say "continental" and you get a couple bagels and muffins and bad coffee, but when I rushed past the spread looked amazing!

Another note is this: if you have allergies to animals or are worried because of experiences with other pet-friendly hotels (many of them are not very clean), this place is honestly VERY clean, and even though it was raining buckets, it didn't smell anything like animals! Just a lovely, charming and romantic hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Haymarket, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

Chosen by relatives as our hotel while we visited Carmel this Thanksgiving week, this boutique hotel, owned by Doris Day,was a small, charming, dog-friendly hotel, centrally located right in the heart of town, with the water a short--but steep, downhill walk away.

Public areas were well decorated and comfortable--particularly the great room with its vaulted, timbered ceiling and large fireplace, and the small, well landscaped outdoor terrace--all very inviting, and well-behaved dogs everywhere, service helpful and excellent, and a large, high quality and varied continental breakfast included in the price of the room.

Our particular room nice but somewhat small--fresh flowers and plants and a large free decanter of Sherry a very nice touch, but a very annoying problem with shower water turning from ice cold to red hot.

We thought the price very reasonable given the quality and location of the hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Boca Raton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

The inn was very cozy, great location, plentiful breakfast, nice atmosphere, people. However, I stayed in one of the less expensive rooms ~$150-$170, which is a good deal for being in the center of Carmel. My only complaint would be the size of the room, bath, mattress (which sank in the middle) and very thin walls. I think the thin walls is an issue in most rooms, the size of the room, probably explains the price point. I was only there for 1 night so it was no big deal. Carmel is very beautiful, but most properties are not ocean front. I wish I had only gone there for dinner and walked around for a couple of hours, stayed in Pacific Grove or Big Sur instead where there's plenty of ocean front rooms for the same price.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Cypress Inn? Share your experiences!