“Home away from Home for the whole family (incl. Fido aka Lucky)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cypress Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Cypress Inn
You added Cypress Inn to your Saves list
Lincoln and seventh, PO Box y, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
Carlsbad, California
“Home away from Home for the whole family (incl. Fido aka Lucky)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

The Cypress Inn feels like home from the minute you walk in. The staff is warm and friendly and the Inn is welcoming and comfortable. We love the location in Carmel - walking distance to everything including the beach. The quality of the morning breakfast spread and all the food and beverage is terrific. Freshly baked pastries, delicious eggs, potatoes and juicy fresh fruit and hot coffee/tea are included in your room rate. Many evenings live entertainment is provided in the "living room" style lobby. Best of everything, our "Fido" aka Lucky is welcomed everywhere (with the exception of the interior of Terry's bar.) I think Lucky enjoys the place as much as we do. He meets tons of canine friends each day in the courtyard and lobby. And the nearby "dog friendly" Carmel beach is truly a treat for him too. The Cypress Inn has a variety of room choices - something for everyone - and the towels and bedding are 5 star.

Room Tip: Lots of choices at Cypress Inn.- Rooms by the courtyard can be a bit louder. Some rooms have French...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I never leave reviews but had to with this place! :) We can't recommend this place more! My husband and I just returned from a 10 day trip to California driving down the coast. We new we wanted to stay in Carmel but didn't book our hotel until the morning of. When we got there we were blown away by the friendliness of the staff (particularly Randy!) as the upgraded us once he found it was my birthday and our anniversary. Our room was absolutely beautiful and so comfortable. It was the most relaxing place we stayed at our entire trip. I think Randy said the rooms have recently been renovated. We were in a King Bed Suite and it was very clean, smelled great, bed was comfortable and very pretty! Randy gave us perfect recommendations for dinner and where to go for drinks. We can't wait to stay here again.

Davis, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

I could live here! The moment I stepped in, I felt at home. The front desk staff was warm and welcoming. Right away, I knew I would be taken care of. Walking through the hotel, you know you're somewhere special. Dining on the patio is like being in a secret garden, I could have sat there all day and almost did! The food was delicious and so were the cocktails! My room was spectacular! The decanter of sherry and complimentary fruit bowl felt luxurious and the decor was in perfect taste. I loved this hotel, right in the middle of town with everything being steps away. I highly recommend a stay here if you're visiting the area! Bring your pooch and sip champagne, they're welcome! You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

We have been coming to The Cypress Inn for a number of years and consider it our home away from home now. The atmosphere is elegant, casual, warm and comfortable. Unlike other Inns that post signs of no food or beverages in lobby's or no pets, the Cypress Inn encourages you to make yourself at home and it's so easy too. Kathy, Khamais or Randy may be at the desk warmly welcoming you back, doing everything they can to make you feel welcomed and get you in your room right away, even when arriving early. It really does feel like joining a small cocktail party to stay there.

Every room I have stayed in has been tranquil and relaxing and you know you are somewhere spell from the spirit of the Inn. It is always bustling with good cheer and the animals create immediate ice breakers.

On this trip I was very lucky to be attending the annual Doris Day birthday celebration that has holistically built around the Inn over the years. This year was extra special with an exclusive program of events organized for guests. The demand was incredible and the general manager, the nicest hotel manager I've ever met, Fiona Ayers insured that everyone had the time of their lives. Almost everyone I spoke with had a story about the dream come true experience Fiona gave them by finding room for them at the Cypress or another hotel, securing them tickets to the events and making them feel a part of the wonderful events this past week. In so many cases she or the Inn where not benefiting at all, she was just doing it out of kindness for the fans of Doris Day the co-owners the Cypress Inn. This blew me away. Fiona was even able to find us a King room from our booked a Queen at the last minute due to our request. It really felt like they couldn't do enough for us. We felt a part of a very special family and cannot wait to return. My thanks to the whole team for one of our most special holidays.

Palm Springs, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

Used to live in Carmel years ago. Always walked by the Cypress Inn and even went in and looked at the living room. From the outside and if you just go into the great old Spanish living room you'd get the impression of a great Carmel charmer. Not so beyond that point. From the very arrival there seemed to be what I might call a "comedy of errors". Doris Day had just celebrated her 90th birthday over the weekend and apparently a herd of fans had been there over the weekend to celebrate her former career. (mostly spinster looking women with their dogs and a few older gay men). Our female friend said that it probably is a very safe feeling place to stay for single women and that I could understand. The weekend guests were all late checking out and the rooms were not cleaned and ready for everyone arriving to check in for Sunday night. Not a problem we and another couple of friends thought we'd check our luggage in and go out and enjoy the town while they cleaned the rooms. The front desk people were so disorganized and you would have thought they just opened the hotel for the first time this past week, rather than years ago (or they were going to close the hotel next week and were just filling in the hours for the next paycheck). They tried to stuff not only our four bags into a very small storage closet but the other bags of arriving guests. We were warned that they might get our luggage mixed up when delivering it to our rooms and we suggested that they tag them with the correct numbers (an idea that would have seemed easy). When we returned to the hotel the rooms were ready. We had one of the two largest suites and our friends had a basic one that the hotel said was also great. The desk clerk gave a complicated explanation on how to get to our rooms and sent us on our way. No guided tour to your room at this hotel. Upon entering the room we found that they had switched the bags and we decided to take care of this problem ourselves and thus rolled, or tried to roll, the bags up and down a series of hallways and narrow halls. That accomplished we returned to our room (a $600plus a night adventure). Our room was ok, but you would expect that for the top of their choices. Our friends room however was small and did not have an airconditioner as our room did. It also looked out into a light shaft with no view but was described as having a nice view. Closing doors are loud and many rooms apparently are very noisy. Our room was on the corner and top floor so I think we avoided the issues shared with other guests. They did ask for a fan and did receive one. Later one of the staff shows up with a bottle of champagne and says "I don't know what this is for, but they told me to bring it up". We were celebrating our 15 anniversary. Also I might add that they kept adding an "r" in my partners name that is simple to pronounce. We corrected them several times and then gave up. The card with the champagne read "to Mr. & Mrs.". Well we are two men and their isn't really a formal Mrs. That would have been obvious if they paid attention to us when checking it. The dirty glasses were not removed from the room during our stay. In trying to concentrate of trying to enjoy our stay we had a good laugh about that. Later I asked about one of the rooms at the front desk and received a surly reply as if I was bothering the person. They do not provide water in the room but a carafe that you need to take downstairs when you need it refilled. The bottle was empty upon arrival and remained so during our stay because we didn't want to have to search out water. I soon learned to avoid the entire staff, though I must admit about half of them were fine and seemed to be willing to make an effort. The hotel feels like it hasn't updated itself and is existing on its location and its successful past without having to try. We based our stay on comments and frankly don't understand were the glowing comments come from. We are seasoned travelers and at a minimum expect friendly staff and the basics. Again we were trying to make the trip about our time and our enjoyment so we tried to put the little consistent issues behind us. Arrived back one night after dinner out and the bathrobes had been hung over damp towels. I guess to give you that cool moist feeling of comfort when you put them on. The hotel is dog friendly and we also own two dogs that were not with us. However it should be noted that it seemed that 99% of the guest had a dog(many with two)with them so it felt more like a dog hotel rather than a person place. Many other hotels take dogs so but I don't know if they restrict their size. Anyhow hope this summation helps. Not usually a complainer and like to see the good in a place but we probably would not stay in this place again given other better choices. We checked out the Tradewinds which is also pet friendly and this looks like a place we might try on another visit.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

The Cypress Inn located in Carmel is absolutely lovely. From the perfectly appointed rooms to the cozy and beautiful great room to the quaint courtyard, the Cypress Inn is absolutely one of my favorite spots. The menu at Terry's Lounge is delightful. A fireplace in the courtyard. A fireplace in the great room.
Our hotel room was wonderful. Large. Comfy. Beautiful. And with the doors that opened up to the street, it was perfect!

And every staff member you encounter at the Cypress is friendly. Not just cordial - friendly. I've never felt so welcome in a hotel before.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the street are superb!! Private and a true escape.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

I do not have enough kind words to say about this gorgeous, glorious hotel! The staff couldn't have been friendlier or kinder during our stay--always there with a sweet smile and taking such care to make sure that our time there was perfect and a "one of a kind" special experience. Fiona Ayers the General Manager of the hotel was SO lovely and warm to us--I can't remember ever meeting a hotel general manager during a hotel stay--let alone one that was so warm, caring, and accessible. Our hotel room was simply magnificent and SO charming--one of the most special hotel rooms I have ever had the pleasure to stay in. The food at the hotel restaurant (Terry's) was absolutely delicious. And everywhere you turned though out the property--there was even more charm, charm, and more charm! As if this all was not enough--this hotel is owned by THE Doris Day--and there are beautiful pictures and posters from her illustrious film career throughout the lobby area--adding to its uniqueness. And the best part of all--because of Doris's love of animals--the hotel is animal friendly. It was so sweet to see all the guests enjoying the hotel and patio area with their beloved animals by their side. If you are looking for the perfect charming spot to make your trip to Carmel a magical experience you will never forget--choose the Cypress Inn. You will be glad you did!

Room Tip: room 114 on the west side--was our beautiful room!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Cypress Inn? Share your experiences!