“Lovely Stay - Amazing Staff!” 4 of 5 stars

Cypress Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Lincoln and seventh, PO Box y, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
Ontario
“Lovely Stay - Amazing Staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I stayed in a smaller room on the top floor. Clean and well lit, windows led out to a parkette area. Bathroom was clean and well stocked. The staff were outstanding. I really have to hand it to them that everyone was so helpful and sweet. My doorman carried my large and heavy bag up several flights of stairs without complaint. He took the time to recommend which restaurants to visit. Very sweet.

I LOVED the doggy atmosphere. I was away from home and only staying one night but I loved visiting with everyones pups. This hotel does lend itself to an older crowd but I didn't mind. The fireplace and couches were perfect. The food was excellent and I enjoyed every minute. I would definitely return. I dined there on two separate occasions during my trip as well as breakfast - no complaints there! The rooms were very clean, free sherry provided (I didn't partake but it was a lovely gesture) and great layout.

The only nit-pick I would have about the place is that the room is a little dated decor wise and some fellow guests had a very loud 2am conversation outside of my window but once I opened the window and kindly asked if they wouldn't mind whispering they apologized and moved on.

The Inn is right downtown Carmel and close to everything you could wish to visit. There are many shops and lovely art studios, candy makers, restaurants. The waiter recommended I visit Dametra Cafe - it's a must! Great fun and food.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights and liked the feel of the inn with all the movie (and music) memorabilia. We had the room closest to reception and it was a little cramped for the four of us and all our luggage. The room includes some nice touches, like free nuts and sherry. Even though the temperature never went above 65, without air con the room was a bit hot overnight. Breakfast was really nice and you could tell it was all high quality.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Brentwood, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

My husband wanted to take our dog, Roi, with us to Carmel so we selected the Cypress Inn where we have stayed before. We asked for a room with little traffic so our dog didn't keep us awake by barking. We were given a room off a court yard. It was extremely quiet. The room was well appointed but warm because of the gas fireplace but the bellman turned off the gas so things cooled off. The marble bathroom was lovely and there was excellent storage space. The bed was too firm for me and the pillows uncomfortable. The staff was gracious and helpful. The food and service was excellent. My husband has a dietary restriction (salt) and all food was cooked to meet his needs and it still remained tasty. The pluses outweighed the minuses and we would definitely return.

Los Angeles, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

If you want a king bed, stay away from this room. The natural temp of the room stays somewhere >80 degrees and very dry, even though it's 65 degrees and 100% humidity right outside the front door, probably because of the electrical room next door. So you wake up in the morning feeling as though you just took a redeye flight -- hot, tired, and dehydrated. The window AC unit doesn't help, except to complete the redeye simulation by adding a jet engine sound. The manager told us she "made the mistake of staying in that room once" but couldn't give us another room. She had two separate maintenance guys come and explain how to turn on the AC, as if that was the problem (fyi, we are familiar with such appliances). We were promised a fan that never showed up, but didn't complain because it wouldn't have helped anyway. Also, she kept saying she would "let you out of your reservation" -- that's not a solution, either (it was a busy weekend in August in Carmel, where are we going to go?). This is simply not a $400/night room. We got a slight discount for 1 of our 3 nights, but nothing for the other two. By checkout time I was too exhausted to put up much more of an argument. This is otherwise a good (albeit old) hotel, especially if you're travelling with a dog. And the other staff members were always polite and helpful. Just be sure to choose your room carefully...

Room Tip: No idea. Just don't select room 120.
Garden Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Thank you Cypress Inn, for saving us from our awful stay in Cambria. The girl who took our reservation was informative and helped us greatly. The Bellman was wonderful and took great care and showed us everything we needed to know about the room. I loved the fact that this is a pet friendly hotel, since my pets were at home I enjoyed interacting with all the dogs. The bartender was great and very entertaining. Parking can be a bit of problem when staying at the hotel, but you cannot beat the location and we found a parking spot near by. I love this hotel and the staff is one of the best I have encountered in a long time. Will definitely be staying here again.

Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I have to warn fellow travelers to stay away from the Cypress Inn if you are looking for peaceful rest and relaxation on your coastal travels. We were very excited by the historic charm of the hotel when we checked in however our enthusiasm dissipated rapidly.
We were given an upstairs room situated directly above the hotel's kitchen. We were road weary and needed a nap, which was an impossibility due to the slamming of dishes and the raucous conversations of the dish washing crew. At this juncture, I had to request a new room and was accommodated (although the new room was smaller and lacked the veranda I had paid for). The new room likewise proved to be auditorily unacceptable also as we were greeted by the sounds of someone's vigorous intercourse session from the window below. Not only could we hear their passion, so could the whole hotel and the people on the street outside. I felt like I was in a brothel.
Fast forward to the morning and we were woken up before 7 am by this couple once again in the throes of passion. I feel like I spent the past night in a bordello. Personally I do not want to listen to the very private moments of others and furthermore expect that when I am staying in a hotel of this supposed caliber that I will not be exposed to these types of embarrassing and uncomfortable situations.
As I write this review I can hear the conversation from the room next door as clearly as if there were no wall at all. I will not be staying at the Cypress Inn again and suggest that travelers steer clear from this noisy den of iniquity.

• Stayed August 2013
Calistoga, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed here for a couple nights this summer and I thought it was above average.

Let's start with the good things: Rooms were clean and nicely appointed. Beds were comfortable and pillows were nice. Sheets were soft and comfy, not scratchy and stiff like more inexpensive hotels. Service and staff were terrific! Everyone we talked to who worked at the hotel had a smile and were eager to help. It was very refreshing. The hotel is centrally located, you can walk to any store you are interested in visiting, also very short walk to the beach and coffee store!!! It was more like a bed and breakfast with a very social atmosphere.

Now for the not so good things: The bathroom was incredibly small, we are on the smaller size and when sitting on the toilet we could nearly lay our head on the sink! Dinner at the restaurant was not good, I was starving and still could not eat it. Not a huge deal because there are plenty of other place to eat that were 2 minutes away. The dogs....I generally like dogs, but am not a pet owner. The number of dogs in the hotel lobby was overwhelming with the little ones barking at each other and it did get stinky at times. On a couple occasions owners let their dogs urinate right in front of the hotel...on the concrete! Yuck! Maybe a few more ground rules for pet owners would be good?!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Cypress Inn? Share your experiences!