“Great Location, Wonderful Staff” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Lincoln and seventh, PO Box y, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Garden Valley, California
“Great Location, Wonderful Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Thank you Cypress Inn, for saving us from our awful stay in Cambria. The girl who took our reservation was informative and helped us greatly. The Bellman was wonderful and took great care and showed us everything we needed to know about the room. I loved the fact that this is a pet friendly hotel, since my pets were at home I enjoyed interacting with all the dogs. The bartender was great and very entertaining. Parking can be a bit of problem when staying at the hotel, but you cannot beat the location and we found a parking spot near by. I love this hotel and the staff is one of the best I have encountered in a long time. Will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I have to warn fellow travelers to stay away from the Cypress Inn if you are looking for peaceful rest and relaxation on your coastal travels. We were very excited by the historic charm of the hotel when we checked in however our enthusiasm dissipated rapidly.
We were given an upstairs room situated directly above the hotel's kitchen. We were road weary and needed a nap, which was an impossibility due to the slamming of dishes and the raucous conversations of the dish washing crew. At this juncture, I had to request a new room and was accommodated (although the new room was smaller and lacked the veranda I had paid for). The new room likewise proved to be auditorily unacceptable also as we were greeted by the sounds of someone's vigorous intercourse session from the window below. Not only could we hear their passion, so could the whole hotel and the people on the street outside. I felt like I was in a brothel.
Fast forward to the morning and we were woken up before 7 am by this couple once again in the throes of passion. I feel like I spent the past night in a bordello. Personally I do not want to listen to the very private moments of others and furthermore expect that when I am staying in a hotel of this supposed caliber that I will not be exposed to these types of embarrassing and uncomfortable situations.
As I write this review I can hear the conversation from the room next door as clearly as if there were no wall at all. I will not be staying at the Cypress Inn again and suggest that travelers steer clear from this noisy den of iniquity.

• Stayed August 2013
Calistoga, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed here for a couple nights this summer and I thought it was above average.

Let's start with the good things: Rooms were clean and nicely appointed. Beds were comfortable and pillows were nice. Sheets were soft and comfy, not scratchy and stiff like more inexpensive hotels. Service and staff were terrific! Everyone we talked to who worked at the hotel had a smile and were eager to help. It was very refreshing. The hotel is centrally located, you can walk to any store you are interested in visiting, also very short walk to the beach and coffee store!!! It was more like a bed and breakfast with a very social atmosphere.

Now for the not so good things: The bathroom was incredibly small, we are on the smaller size and when sitting on the toilet we could nearly lay our head on the sink! Dinner at the restaurant was not good, I was starving and still could not eat it. Not a huge deal because there are plenty of other place to eat that were 2 minutes away. The dogs....I generally like dogs, but am not a pet owner. The number of dogs in the hotel lobby was overwhelming with the little ones barking at each other and it did get stinky at times. On a couple occasions owners let their dogs urinate right in front of the hotel...on the concrete! Yuck! Maybe a few more ground rules for pet owners would be good?!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Roanoke, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

We knew going in it was an old, quaint inn with a very pet friendly atmostphere. With that said, we didn't expect a heavy dog urine smell at the front entrance, dogs yapping in the hallway at 6 a.m. and generally being unimpressed with the overall condition of our room and the hotel. We were there on our honeymoon and supposedly reserved one of the nicest rooms in the hotel yet were not greeted with any special reception or offered any thoughtful amenities/services. We weren't expecting special treatment but at $500/night you expect service and luxury and this stay was just OK. If you want privacy, serenity and personal service, you need to look elsewhere. Also, Terry's Lounge...ugh...slow service.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Carnelian Bay, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Maybe I should give this one 5 stars, but a couple of drawbacks give it a 4. First, the hotel and restaurant are classic Carmel. Just about all the hotels in the village were built in the 50's or earlier and there is not much room for remodeling. Cypress Inn is a charming example of original Carmel, from the architecture to the attentive service.

We enjoyed tea service with luscious sandwiches and pastries in the early afternoon in the living room, where else can you do that? Then we took a stroll down Ocean Ave, to the glorious white sand beach, stopping into the many shops that line that main street.

We stayed here for its walking distance to Sunset Center, a major venue for the
Carmel Bach Festival. We enjoyed a superlative dinner in Terry's Lounge before heading to Fantastique. The sand dabs and NY steak with uber fresh vegetables and fingerling or mashed potatoes were excellent, but the lamb lollipops are not to be missed!

Back to the hotel itself, the room was a rather standard hotel room of the 20th century, nice but lacking some of the creature comforts we have come to expect, like a mini refrig, and bathroom counter space, elevators and reliable wifi. But taking it for what it is, it was still very comfortable.

The room offers complimentary sherry to enjoy as well as a lovely breakfast buffet in the bar, and the front room off the lobby features musical entertainment in the evening.

Now to parking, they have a 9-car free parking lot down the street, which I was able to squeeze into. Beware that parking anywhere in Carmel is about as challenging in NYC, but hotel staff will help you figure something out.

I am a dog lover, but if you are not, you may want to stay elsewhere, since this is doggie haven throughout.

Overall would definitely recommend, since the same issues exist at most any place you will stay in Carmel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
New Braunfels, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Good place to eat. Had dinner twice and really enjoyed the staffs suggestions of what to eat and drink. The hotel is owned by a well know movie star so everyone is very nice about seating you at at good location and our food was excellent. Try the beef rib, Meat fell off the bone and was very moist and tender. They have a great bar with excellent bartender for difficult drinks and waiter knows wine to help make suggestions.
Good place and they make you feel like you are special. I asked for the same table I previously had and they held it open for my 7:30 reservation. Most places in Carmel use the table and you have to wait even with a reservation.

Room Tip: Only ate here so don't know the room layouts.