“Have a blast and bring your dog!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cypress Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Cypress Inn
Lincoln and seventh, POBox Y, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #5 of 21 hotels in Carmel
Auburn, California
“Have a blast and bring your dog!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

The Cypress is a walk from the beach and the restaurants and shops in downtown Carmel. A really fun place. Great jazz piped in. Visit Terry's lounge downstairs at happy hour and check out all the dogs. There's excellent food too. Love the Doris Day memoribilia. Feels relaxed and homey.

• Stayed February 2013

401 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Unfortunately you can't leave your dog unattended in your room. We managed ok though because Carmel is the dog friendliest place on the PLANET!!! We just took our boy with us everywhere. The front desk will give you a list of dog friendly restaurants - we went to one for dinner and sat on the patio - a little brisk at night in February....just another sacrifice for poochie. The buffet breakfast was really nice - once again, couldn't leave the dog in the room, so we took turns, and brought our breakfast into our room.

We had main floor room with a king sized bed with french doors leading to the courtyard. I was a bit concerned about noise, but it was really quiet. The clientele was a bit older - (At $450 per night, I would say it's only an older crowd who can afford it), so in bed early and quiet when they left in the morning. We did hear dogs barking, which would stir up our boy - but it wasn't annoying, and all the other guests seemed to be very responsible dog owners. Also the floors were tile - which is nice at a pet friendly hotel - and it did NOT smell like dog.

Lastly - there are only 9 spots in the designated parking lot - and it was full, so we had to park 2 blocks away and walk back to the hotel...which is a pain when you are paying $450 per night. But everything is walkable in Carmel, and the area is safe - so no worries about getting your car broken into, it's just a minor inconvenience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
los angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

This was our anniversary/Valentine's Day/Birthday celebration. As we were traveling with our dog we went to the Cypress Inn. We stayed in one of the king suites with a fireplace and jacuzzi tub. Great - I love the light in the suites and the number or windows that open(if you have read previous reviews of mine you will see that air is a big issue for me). The service is great - I had called down for more bath salts and someone was at our door with them within 5 minutes. Very clean and well maintained hotel. The restaurant - Terry's - is very good and a great value - I will write a separate review on that. The hotel has a small parking lot - we were there during the AT&T proam but still did not have a problem parking. Super location as well. Quiet as well. Great breakfast that is included - eggs, pastries (really high quality), fruit, good coffee and selection of teas. My boyfriend is a green tea snob and was able to find they carried a brand he likes. Highly recommend with or without your dog.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

My husband and i stayed here in January for my birthday. To list the endless ways the staff provided us with an amazing and memorable experience, does not do this place justice!! Khamis was working the reception area upon our arrival. When he found our we were celebrating my birthday, he began pulling out all the stops to make us feel like royalty. Our room was beautiful, lush and romantic. Fruit and nuts (complimentary) awaited us in our room. The amenities were plentiful; Jacuzzi tub, fireplace, evening wine by the fire with great live acoustic music. The list goes on and on. Every staff member on the premises greeted us with a smile and a friendly greeting. We felt like celebrities. The hotel was beautiful, and extremely clean! This is a dog friendly hotel and we are dog lovers, so we know this can be a feat! Upon our return from dinner, we had a lovely bottle of champagne on ice awaiting us with two flutes and a sweet note welcoming us to the hotel. Seriously. I have NEVER had a better customer service experience in my life. MY FAVORITE HOTEL-EVER!

Room Tip: I have stayed in every part of this hotel and there are no bad room. The beds are so comfortable, yo...
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

The room was small and on the courtyard so we had noise until 10 pm.
It was clean with a comfortable bed but there is nothing 'remarkable' about it the other than it accepts dogs. For Carmel and $ 230/nt it was OK.

Alpharetta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I love this wonderful pet-friendly hotel located in the heart of Carmel and owned by Doris Day!! It is old school, beautiful, full of lovely well-behaved dogs who smell great!! The common areas are beautiful and inviting with superb service. Wonderful bar and restaurant. Locals hang out there, so you know it's great! Room was very comfy. Like a feeling of home. I would recommend this lovely hotel to anyone and would only stay there again if I'm ever lucky enough to get back to Carmel!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a night at the Cypress Inn. Overall, it was a good experience. But when you are paying $400+ a night, good enough isn't good enough.

For that reason, I have to be less forgiving than I would be if the rates had been more reasonable. Hence the 3 stars (if I could give 3.5 stars, I would).

First, I have to say I agree completely with fidelrobert's review. I echo many of his same sentiments. Especially about how for the dog owners, it seems this hotel can do no wrong.
The mere fact that Fido or Fifi are welcome here seems to trump everything else. I LIKE dogs, but as a non-dog owner, I am not particularly keen on the hotel's pet-centric ambiance (then again, the entire town of Carmel has a dog fetish the likes of which I've never seen. But that's another story).

Having said that, I think The Cypress is still a relatively nice place to stay. Especially if you want to be right in downtown Carmel; the hotel boasts a highly convenient, central location close to restaurants, shopping, etc. (of course, the town is so teensy-weensy, you are always within a few blocks' walk of everything here).

Also, the Cypress offers a certain classic charm; it's decidedly un-trendy (which I appreciate). The hotel clearly caters to a mostly older crowd (and/or dog owners of any age). I liked that it's NOT brand new, has some character, and feels a bit like a throwback. Those are all good things, in my book.

Here's where The Cypress Inn falls short:

Service: Sloppy and inconsistent. Upon arrival, we were greeted (sort of) by a harried looking bellman who blurted out an apology about not being able to help us much (even with our luggage), because it had been "a really crazy day". Huh? We were left to fend for ourselves and carry in our own bags. He also explained that there were only 9 parking spaces in the hotel's parking lot, so my husband would have to find parking on the street (and by the way, in many areas of Carmel, you need to move your car every two hours...so we spent a lot of time moving the car). Not the most auspicious beginning.

The desk personnel were friendly enough. But they also seemed somewhat harried and overwhelmed (even with very few guests in line). The woman who checked us in was quick to hand us a printed list of hotel policies and call it a day; the personal touch was mostly lacking.

We were promised a bottle of champagne in our room on arrival. It wasn't there. However, when we mentioned this to a front desk employee later, he apologized and the bottle was quickly delivered.

And what is it with the housekeeping staff? None of the housekeepers we encountered could manage a smile, let alone a "Good Morning". Instead, they averted their glance whenever we greeted them. Clearly, they don't speak a word of English. No one is demanding they be fluent in English. But would it be too much to teach them to say, "Hello"? I've never encountered this situation at any other hotel.

Accommodations: We had visited the hotel in the past to look at the rooms, and had been shown a couple of rooms in the newer section. We were impressed; the rooms looked quite nice and beautifully appointed. Unfortunately, we didn't get one of those rooms. We made our reservation at the last minute, so had to settle for a room in the older section. We were told repeatedly that our room is "one of the nicest rooms in the hotel." Maybe that was true thirty years ago. But today, it's just ok. Our guest room, like much of The Cypress, was a bit tired. Nicely decorated, but small. With dated looking fixtures in the bathroom (we were also very disappointed to find the whirlpool tub didn't work). It looked like parts of the room/decor had been updated, and other parts had been left in their original, worn condition.

Luckily, our room had a lovely patio -- that was its saving grace (and on a sunny day in Carmel, having a patio is a real plus).

Our room faced the street, and as I feared, it was somewhat noisy. I'm very sensitive to noise, and I definitely heard traffic, conversations, and delivery trucks. I also heard noise from the restaurant/bar below. Luckily, the noise diminished after 11 PM. However, the rest of the time, I had to try to drown it out with my white noise machine and the portable fan provided by the hotel (though not intended for this usage, I'm sure). Oh, and there was no AC in the room. So we had to open the window and doors for fresh air; but then quickly close them to minimize the noise from downstairs and the street. This is the downside of being right downtown and having many guest rooms that face directly onto the street.

Again, if our room had been in the $200-$250 range, I would be giving The Cypress much higher marks -- at least 4 stars.

Instead, I came away with the distinct impression that this hotel has perfected the art of gouging its customers -- but doing it with a perky, Doris Day smile. They somehow get away with charging ridiculously high rates, so they seem unmotivated to improve their game.

Maybe if The Cypress was committed to providing everyone with an exceptional experience -- not just catering to all those canines and their owners -- it would live up to its billing as one of Carmel's top hotels. But right now, I frankly think they are are more in the business of highway robbery than hospitality.

Whatever will be, will be...

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise, avoid the rooms over the restaurant/bar/lounge and/or facing the stre...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cypress Inn? Share your experiences!