“OK hotel at a OK price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cypress Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Cypress Inn
Save Saved
You added Cypress Inn to your Saves list
Lincoln and seventh, PO Box y, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #5 of 21 hotels in Carmel
Cleveland, Ohio
“OK hotel at a OK price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

The room was small and on the courtyard so we had noise until 10 pm.
It was clean with a comfortable bed but there is nothing 'remarkable' about it the other than it accepts dogs. For Carmel and $ 230/nt it was OK.

417 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Alpharetta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I love this wonderful pet-friendly hotel located in the heart of Carmel and owned by Doris Day!! It is old school, beautiful, full of lovely well-behaved dogs who smell great!! The common areas are beautiful and inviting with superb service. Wonderful bar and restaurant. Locals hang out there, so you know it's great! Room was very comfy. Like a feeling of home. I would recommend this lovely hotel to anyone and would only stay there again if I'm ever lucky enough to get back to Carmel!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a night at the Cypress Inn. Overall, it was a good experience. But when you are paying $400+ a night, good enough isn't good enough.

For that reason, I have to be less forgiving than I would be if the rates had been more reasonable. Hence the 3 stars (if I could give 3.5 stars, I would).

First, I have to say I agree completely with fidelrobert's review. I echo many of his same sentiments. Especially about how for the dog owners, it seems this hotel can do no wrong.
The mere fact that Fido or Fifi are welcome here seems to trump everything else. I LIKE dogs, but as a non-dog owner, I am not particularly keen on the hotel's pet-centric ambiance (then again, the entire town of Carmel has a dog fetish the likes of which I've never seen. But that's another story).

Having said that, I think The Cypress is still a relatively nice place to stay. Especially if you want to be right in downtown Carmel; the hotel boasts a highly convenient, central location close to restaurants, shopping, etc. (of course, the town is so teensy-weensy, you are always within a few blocks' walk of everything here).

Also, the Cypress offers a certain classic charm; it's decidedly un-trendy (which I appreciate). The hotel clearly caters to a mostly older crowd (and/or dog owners of any age). I liked that it's NOT brand new, has some character, and feels a bit like a throwback. Those are all good things, in my book.

Here's where The Cypress Inn falls short:

Service: Sloppy and inconsistent. Upon arrival, we were greeted (sort of) by a harried looking bellman who blurted out an apology about not being able to help us much (even with our luggage), because it had been "a really crazy day". Huh? We were left to fend for ourselves and carry in our own bags. He also explained that there were only 9 parking spaces in the hotel's parking lot, so my husband would have to find parking on the street (and by the way, in many areas of Carmel, you need to move your car every two hours...so we spent a lot of time moving the car). Not the most auspicious beginning.

The desk personnel were friendly enough. But they also seemed somewhat harried and overwhelmed (even with very few guests in line). The woman who checked us in was quick to hand us a printed list of hotel policies and call it a day; the personal touch was mostly lacking.

We were promised a bottle of champagne in our room on arrival. It wasn't there. However, when we mentioned this to a front desk employee later, he apologized and the bottle was quickly delivered.

And what is it with the housekeeping staff? None of the housekeepers we encountered could manage a smile, let alone a "Good Morning". Instead, they averted their glance whenever we greeted them. Clearly, they don't speak a word of English. No one is demanding they be fluent in English. But would it be too much to teach them to say, "Hello"? I've never encountered this situation at any other hotel.

Accommodations: We had visited the hotel in the past to look at the rooms, and had been shown a couple of rooms in the newer section. We were impressed; the rooms looked quite nice and beautifully appointed. Unfortunately, we didn't get one of those rooms. We made our reservation at the last minute, so had to settle for a room in the older section. We were told repeatedly that our room is "one of the nicest rooms in the hotel." Maybe that was true thirty years ago. But today, it's just ok. Our guest room, like much of The Cypress, was a bit tired. Nicely decorated, but small. With dated looking fixtures in the bathroom (we were also very disappointed to find the whirlpool tub didn't work). It looked like parts of the room/decor had been updated, and other parts had been left in their original, worn condition.

Luckily, our room had a lovely patio -- that was its saving grace (and on a sunny day in Carmel, having a patio is a real plus).

Our room faced the street, and as I feared, it was somewhat noisy. I'm very sensitive to noise, and I definitely heard traffic, conversations, and delivery trucks. I also heard noise from the restaurant/bar below. Luckily, the noise diminished after 11 PM. However, the rest of the time, I had to try to drown it out with my white noise machine and the portable fan provided by the hotel (though not intended for this usage, I'm sure). Oh, and there was no AC in the room. So we had to open the window and doors for fresh air; but then quickly close them to minimize the noise from downstairs and the street. This is the downside of being right downtown and having many guest rooms that face directly onto the street.

Again, if our room had been in the $200-$250 range, I would be giving The Cypress much higher marks -- at least 4 stars.

Instead, I came away with the distinct impression that this hotel has perfected the art of gouging its customers -- but doing it with a perky, Doris Day smile. They somehow get away with charging ridiculously high rates, so they seem unmotivated to improve their game.

Maybe if The Cypress was committed to providing everyone with an exceptional experience -- not just catering to all those canines and their owners -- it would live up to its billing as one of Carmel's top hotels. But right now, I frankly think they are are more in the business of highway robbery than hospitality.

Whatever will be, will be...

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise, avoid the rooms over the restaurant/bar/lounge and/or facing the stre...
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We enjoy visiting Carmel, but the highlight of any trip there is staying at the Cypress Inn. It is pet-friendly to the point of having an area where you can dine with your pet.

We have a pet bird (cockatoo) and, although pet-friendly usually means ok for dogs, they allow us to stay with no problems. The staff is always friendly and talkative. The rooms are quaint and the location is great.

Room Tip: reserve well in advance! We have done last-second reservations before, but often, at that point, the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Manhattan, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Summary: A good place to stay, although a bit pricey for value received. Good location. Great included breakfast. Reasonably clean rooms. Very comfortable bed. Management deficiencies are very apparent.

Nowhere else can a hotel run like this one charge as much for rooms and get away with it. Only in Carmel. I will describe what I mean in chronological order, beginning with arrival, and will only address actual, confirmable issues. My opinion and judgment will be saved for the end. If TripAdvisor allowed fractions, I'd give this a 3.5.

On arrival, there is no place to pull over with your vehicle. You don't know what to do, so you go around the block because you have delivery trucks in front of you, cars behind you, and it is a narrow street (Lincoln). I witnessed other arrivers circling the block as well. It appears that there is a place to pull over and check in, but the entire time we were there, it was occupied, and occupied with the same car for many hours. Could owners/management make it more clear how to pull in and register? Could they enforce the open and temporary space(s) by the front door so that it is used for very short-term check-in only?

The front desk clerks explain the fact that upon arrival (and I even heard it at check-out as well on one occasion), you've already been charged for the first night. You could tell by the explanations for many guests that this was awkward. Could management make it less so? Why is this the only hotel I've ever encountered this awkward explanation at?

As you head to your room, you notice the restaurant is quite dark, and looks a little worn. Further to your room, you observe broken tile, and elsewhere, a ladder on its side on the ground. Three days later, the tile remains broken and the ladder still lies on the ground.

Entering your room, you notice that the bed pretty much fills the entire room. This is room 212. I am not a large man, but tall. Getting past the foot of the bed and the tv cabinet, I had to turn sideways to pass. What is a flat-screen tv doing in a deep-dimension cabinet? And if the room is small, why have such a deep cabinet to make it harder to pass by the end of the bed?

The toilet is microscopic. The lid covers most of the flush button, so in order to flush, you always have to drop both the seat and the lid. The shower is so small the averaged-sized person will be pressed to move around in it.

The lavatory sits on a pedestal (good move given the smallness of the bathroom), but the sink sits at an angle on the pedestal, and moves. We worried it would fall off and then we'd have a water gusher. Hot water trickles out of the lavatory faucet under very low pressure.

A window is nearly impossible to latch shut, and when it is cold, you have to struggle to close out the cold air. We later figured out how to latch it shut, but it takes real muscle and slamming and we worried we'd break it and be charged.

From 7:15a or 7:30a through 11:00p, if you stay above or near the bar, you will hear the recorded jazz music (which is actually pleasant), and in our room, it is so loud, you have to turn up the tv volume to listen to any show you are watching, and you worry those in neighboring rooms will be offended by the volume level you've needed in order to enjoy your tv show (okay, I watched a big football game!).

You encounter room care staff, and they look away, don't smile, and have turned-down faces. Why? You ask a question of them (alternatively in English and later perfectly in their native language), and they respond curtly. Why? Registration desk staff was Doris Day-perky and quite pleasant.

Now the opinion and judgment part. Yield management in the hospitality industry is important, certainly, but one gets the impression the Cypress Inn has yet to find that balance between too much yield and an inadequate return. They likely realize that dog owners are so pleased they found a place where they and their dog(s) are welcome that they'll pay a premium to stay there, and be happy for it (just read the many reviews here on this point). But here's the test: just imagine for a moment that dogs were no longer welcome there. Could they still get the same acceptance by guests?

So they have found a niche, and it works. It was wonderful being able to bring a dog into the hotel without walking on proverbial egg shells, and this is the case at the Cypress Inn. You end up loving the location, and realize the breakfast is wonderful, although again, solemn employees staff the operation.

And it is interesting to think about all the things you would do to this property if it were yours to manage, because there are so many opportunities to make this an even better place to spend time in beautiful Carmel. Two things are needed for guests to really get value for these rates. First, send the staff to your average Apple store to observe low-paid employees manage customers well (or being in an Apple expert for in-house training). Or McDonalds. Or step it up and try the Mandarin Oriental's approach to guest management. Customer care alone, managed well and managed competently, could make a huge difference here. Second, get some interior designers in place to consult. Room by room. It doesn't have to be extensive. Right-size furniture in the rooms. Put a little lipstick on them. Get the warts and hickeys addressed. It shouldn't cost much.

That done, this would be an even better place. And maybe they'd be able to charge even more without guests objecting. Who knows? Go there and try it. See what you think. My guess is that you'll have a good time.

Room Tip: Once you arrive by car, grab the first parking spot you can find even if in the vicinity. They are s...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
CypressManager, General Manager at Cypress Inn, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Fidelrobert,

Thank you for sharing the details of your recent stay at Cypress Inn. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall and thank you for providing some specific details that are truly helpful for our management team to review and share, to provent them happening again. We take tremendous pride in offering a quintessential Carmel Inn experience with genuine hospitality, and we take your comments to heart in an effort toward continuous improvement.

I'm delighted to inform you of the room renovation we are currently undertaking. We consulted with a fabulous designer several months ago and products have been ordered! Being a historic property built in 1929, almost all of our 44 rooms are different in layout. As such, we took on the project on a room by room basis, taking into consideration the space in each room. We are replacing most of the larger armoires, and replacing them with narrower chests of drawers instead, thus opening up the rooms. The flat screen televisions will then be mounted on the walls. We're also doing new carpeting, new bedding, new mattresses, new paint, new window treatments, and new furniture (minus a handful of pieces that are still beautiful and make sense). We are excited to unveil our new rooms this Spring!

I'd love to have you come back and experience these new rooms for yourself. Feel free to contact me (Fiona Ayers) directly at fiona@cypress-inn.com to arrange. Again, thanks for taking the time to review your stay. Your satisfaction is vital to our success. Best regards for the New Year.
Lafayette, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We have visited Cypress Inn at New Years for the last 12 years, every year of our dog's life so far. We couldn't get a room a few years but now we book a year in advance. There's something about 40-60 well behaved dogs with their people all having fun that is intoxicating.

Room Tip: Any that are available - we haven't had a bad one yet. It is an old hotel so the rooms are not t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Doris Day is part owner. Barbara Eden was there the night I was there. She has a beautiful dog. There is live music on the weekends. The place is beautiful. Dogs everywhere. Bless the wait staff who are so kind and patient with the guests and their loved pampered canine companions. If you are traveling with a dog, this is the most dog friendly place I have seen. If you are not traveling with a dog, you cannot come into this place without smiling from ear to ear. You smell nothing no odors at all.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Cypress Inn? Share your experiences!