“GREAT SPOT, GREAT PEOPLE” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cypress Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Cypress Inn
Save Saved
You added Cypress Inn to your Saves list
Lincoln and seventh, PO Box y, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Ranked #5 of 21 hotels in Carmel
George Town, Grand Cayman
“GREAT SPOT, GREAT PEOPLE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Well what can I say, the whole town is full of old school charm, especially at the Cypress Inn. This quaint little inn was everything we could have asked for. Great rooms, staff and doggies too. A special thanks to the GM Fiona who made us feel very welcome and made our stay perfect! Thanks to some of the other staff including Will and Drago at the bar, F AND B manager Jonathon and Kahli on the front desk. Because of them we will tell others about Cypress Inn and we will definitly be back!

413 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Louisville, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife and I took a week-long trip to northern CA, during which two nights were spent in Carmel. We decided to stay at the Cypress Inn because of reviews on Tripadvisor.

Although we are "dog people", with five of our own, we didn't bring any along on our trip. But it seemed everyone else at the hotel did. There were dogs everywhere. I'm just making that point for those that are not dog people (you know who you are :), are allergic, etc. We didn't mind it all - in fact, we enjoyed the atmosphere very much since we were a few thousand miles away from our babies.

The hotel was built (I believe) in the 1920s and had a quaint look and feel. As with most older hotels, the room was very small. The bathroom was relatively small as well. There was no a/c in the room, which is usually a must-have for us. We opened the windows to get a cross-wind, and that was ok. Only problem was the hotel is near the center of the town so there was some noise - nothing major though. The bed was pretty comfortable.

The hotel offered a very basic continental breakfast. I would have expected a little higher quality for $300+ per night. Everyone at the front desk was very courteous and seemed eager to please. I agree with a previous review in that this hotel is find for a 1-2 night stay. Beyond that, I would prefer a larger room for the rate.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed here while riding the Harley along PCH. Gentleman on reception was very friendly and helpful regarding parking our bike when we checked in, even to to us in our biker gear.
Room was a little small but adequate for our one night stay.
Bathroom was a little basic, compared with some of the hotels on our trip.
Lovely seeing all the dogs in the bar when we went down for dinner. Made me miss mine. But all the owners were friendly and didn't mind when I stroked them. (their dogs)
We ate in the restaurant and had the best sesame seared tuna I think I have ever had, anywhere, including Japan.
We had a good nights sleep and I had an ok work out in the morning in the gym. Cardio equipment and a rack of weights with a bench was adequate but could use some weight machines or a cable rack for serious weight trainers.
Breakfast buffet was nice, nothing special.
Again very friendly young lady on reception when we checked out made this an enjoyable stay.
Can't really remember who Doris Day was or is but the hotel is really good and the dog friendly atmosphere lovely.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lake Forest, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

The Cypress Inn Hotel is a memorable place to stay while in beautiful Carmel. It is charming, well-maintained, and has a perfect location. Memories of Doris Day's film career surround you. If you are a pet owner or pet lover, this is the place for you. There is even a list of pet sitters available. Pet owners can let their pets sit with them in the bar area while they enjoy a drink or snack. Pet lovers can enjoy other peoples' pets. The rooms have been updates, beds are comfortable, and a wonderful breakfast accompanies the reservation. Staff is attentive and willing to help in any way. hotel is conveniently located near shops, restaurants, and the beach. We have stayed at the Cypress Inn before and will return. The lobby is a pleasant place to relax and look at photos from the past. The only reason I didn't rate this a 5 star is because the shower head needed to be replaced.

Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Recently on a business trip to monterey county and stayed at Cypress Inn, a few blocks from gorgeous carmel beach and down the street from Pebble. The restaurant scene has definitely picked up in town as well as after hours activities, including Terry's Lounge at the Cypress with a fresh new lineup of classic cocktails and plenty of local color. My room had great views, a wet bar, fireplace and was crisp and clean, definitely would return.

Room Tip: If you like privacy, there is a beautiful room with a separate entrance off the street that feels li...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Andover, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Last year I popped in on a whim to Carmel as I had always wanted to visit, I was in San Jose for business and said why not. I ended up staying at the Cypress Inn for one night and truly fell in love with the hotel, the staff and the feeling of being part of the family. It was a quick night and then I was off to reality. This year I had to go back out to San Jose for work and I decided to re-visit Carmel and spend more time sightseeing and booked two nights with my new fave place in Carmel, the Cypress Inn. Well after my visit there, I can definitely say that the first time wasn't a fluke, the staff are warm and inviting, the bellman stayed late so he could get me to my room, Steve the bartender had a pint waiting for me (must have overheard me telling the bellman that I would be right down for an IPA). I truly was welcomed back and made to feel at home again.

My room both times was very comfortable, updated with new furniture, tvs, I had a jacuzzi in one room and then a bubble bath in the other, good for soaking away the aches from walking all the hills and trails. Breakfast buffett in the morning was spot on, I didn't eat other meals there as I was usually out and about but the restaurant was busy with locals so I took that to be a good sign. I fully recommend the hotel and am now figuring out how I get back there for the third year in a row!

Room Tip: The room I had facing Lincoln on the second floor (rooms nearest Ocean) was quiet and very peaceful...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Sebastopol, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

After 20 years of staying at the cypress inn in carmel, we say no more. The place, including the rooms, is tired and shabby. And the staff is very ungracious. And all of that at $500 plus per nite—room 215. You really get the feeling that the cypress inn is all about milking all the profit it can—without setting aside a cent for improvements -- from carmel tourists desperate for a place to stay in that quaint little seaside town.
And so next time, we, at least , will spend our money five miles from downtown carmel at the far nicer, modern( recently updated at a cost of over $30,000,000) and spacious carmel valley ranch , where the staff bends over backwards to be nice and to make you happy. And with a swimming pool, good food, warm weather , etc. And large and contemporary rooms , cheaper in price than those of the cypress inn. And yes, doris, you can take your doggies to stay and to eat at the carmel valley ranch.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
CypressManager, Owner/ Managing Partner at Cypress Inn, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for your feedback on our hotel. We appreciate customers who let us know when things aren’t right.

After so many years of loyalty to The Cypress Inn Hotel, for which we thank you, it must have been terribly disappointing for you to experience a room and staff that were not up to the standards that you have become accustomed to experiencing at our hotel.

Please accept our sincere and unreserved apology for the inconvenience you experienced during your recent stay. We do understand that we must continue to live up to the high standards expected of our guests. To that end, would you believe, that we are currently in the middle of a series of renovations to the hotel? From top-to-bottom we are replacing our floor coverings and surfaces, upgrading room furnishings, and refurbishing common areas. Unfortunately, renovations to Room 215 have not yet been completed. But your feedback will prove invaluable as we move further through the process of renovating, and as we continue our work to train our staff to provide customers the ultimate hotel experience. Be assured that we have already distributed your review to all of our staff.

And I want to acknowledge your praise of Carmel Valley Ranch; we agree it is a lovely hotel. One of the wonderful things about the Greater Carmel Area is that it offers a vast range of hotel and inn experiences to accommodate a broad range of tastes. This variety helps raise the bar to benefit the whole community, including all competitive businesses. Guests at Carmel Valley Ranch may end up having drinks and/or dinner at Terry’s Lounge at The Cypress Inn Hotel, and vice versa! We all benefit.

Please know that we are eager to restore your confidence in The Cypress Inn, and regain your goodwill. As a concrete form of apology, we would like to send you a complementary copy of Doris Day’s latest CD, “With a Smile and a Song”.

Please call Fiona Vanderwall, General Manager, at 831-624-3871, to arrange this, and so that we can check our hotel records to confirm your September stay. We hope to completely regain your goodwill, so I invite you to call me at the same number, as well, if you have any further concerns or want to discuss how we can improve our service to customers. Thanks for your past loyalty to our hotel, and thank you for your valuable feedback on The Cypress Inn.

Dennis A. LeVett
Owner / Managing Partner
The Cypress Inn Hotel
831-624-3871

Been to Cypress Inn? Share your experiences!