“Wow must stay perfectly quaint!” 5 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Save Saved
You added Carmel Garden Inn to your Saves list
Carmel Garden Inn
NW Corner 4th Street and Torres, Carmel, CA 93921 (Formerly Carmel Garden Court Inn)   |
Offers & Announcements
Wine Fireplace $159
Ranked #4 of 29 Carmel B&B and Inns
“Wow must stay perfectly quaint!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

This place was perfect, we were travelling the west coast on our honeymoon. The Carmel Gardens Inn was just up the hill from all the shops, beach and restaurants only a 10 min walk.

The Gardens Inn lived up to its name, we arrived at 6pm and with a warm welcome and some cheese and wine perfect to take and eat in our little private garden, we had some company from a hummingbird! We have never seen one before but they leave feed out for them so they fly around so pretty!

Breakfast was yum, hosts were very friendly. There is a real fire in the rooms so very snug and romantic.

There are so many restaurants you will be spoilt for choice! Would recommend little Napoli for the best stuffed gnocchi I've ever tasted.

Recommend highly to stay here!

• Stayed July 2014
julian b, Owner at Carmel Garden Inn, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Your comments warm our hearts. When Susan and I (and Dennis our Innkeeper) purchased the Inn in March 2013, we had three driving forces to guide our path: we wanted to give Susan the fun opportunity to treat our guests to her creative cooking; we wanted to give Dennis the fun opportunity of creating really interesting and lovely gardens both in the common areas and the private patios; we wanted to give me (julian) the fun opportunity to serve good wine, tell stories about the area and talk with our guests. THANK YOU for giving us the opportunity. Julian and us all

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Luis Obispo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

My wife and I spent 1 night at the Garden Inn. We had a very nice time. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The Inn is within walking distance to town (the Carmel shops) and had off street parking. We enjoyed our breakfast and the evening wine/cheese. I recommend highly.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
julian b, Owner at Carmel Garden Inn, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
We appreciate your review. We are constantly looking at new interesting breakfast ideas and expanding our wine party in the afternoons. Having you stay and have a good time at our Inn is very rewarding for us all. Thank you, Julian, Susan, Mary, Dennis, Laura, Curtis and our housekeeping staff.
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We enjoyed staying here in June for 2 nights. The room was adorable-cedar floor to ceiling, complete with fireplace. The innkeepers were all very nice and personable. Breakfast was a good mix of continental and something warm. The first breakfast was a broccoli and mushroom frittata, and the next morning was a choice of eggs & sausage or a waffle. Man was I sorry I didn't get the waffle like my husband did! It was made with almond flour and was pretty insane.
2 negatives: the bathroom was dated and could use a little TLC, but it almost adds to the charm (cracks in the wall etc). And the bed was the worst bed we slept on our whole vacation! The bedding was lovely...but the bed felt like a blow up bed. A disappointment for sure.
Overall, I would not let either of my negatives sway you from staying here. A great place and very unique.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
julian b, Owner at Carmel Garden Inn, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
You are so special to have written this review. Thank you so much. Susan Mary Dennis and Laura really create exciting food in the mornings for sure. And they love creating in the kitchen. As I have thanked reviewers in the past, we look to you as our eyes and ears. While we had the bed on the list to be replaced in the coming months, without your comment, it might have gone until the fall. It is now being replaced within a couple of weeks (ordering the same special beds as we have in the five patio suites that are getting rave comments. I got a chuckle last night as I was falling to sleep. You wrote about the bathroom , "but it almost adds to the charm (cracks in the wall etc)" I had the notion "Yes! What would a Hitchcock movie be without the cracks and character associated with age? Also, where is the charm in perfect plaster..." We love the business and received so much pleasure from your review. Thank you again and come sleep with us sometime in the future on our new bed. Respectfully, Julian and all of us here at the Inn.
Looe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night and really loved it. The room was well equipped, the little log fire is a lovely touch. Having cheese and wine in the breakfast/reception area as a 'freebie' was a surprise and much appreciated. Breakfast was excellent and the homemade granola was the best I've ever had. Highly recommended.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
julian b, Owner at Carmel Garden Inn, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
We greatly appreciate your comments, especially regarding the Granola. Susan takes such pride in having created a recipe that is a hit with our guests. And we sure agree with the wood burning fireplaces...cozy, romantic and charming. Thank you from all of us, Julian
San Anselmo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

We just spent a lovely two nights at this charming B & B Inn in Carmel. We will be back. Thank you Julian, Susan and the rest of the staff for your wonderful hospitality and knowledge of the area to make a two night stay thoroughly enjoyable.

Room Tip: The garden suites are very nice and all have a private 11' x 14' garden terrace with a table...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
julian b, Owner at Carmel Garden Inn, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Susan, Dennis, all our staff and i especially appreciate your comments. Tallulah and you two were such fun to be with.. We love sharing our knowledge of Carmel and special places to go and things to do. Living in the Monterey Peninsula is such a wonderful way to live. Thank you for your review and for staying with us. Julian
Edison
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

My wife and I stayed there for one night recently. The owners and staff were extremely friendly and helpful, and our room was great. It was one of their less expensive rooms, but was perfect. The bed was very comfortable. The suggestions of where to go during our short stay were very useful and added significantly to a wonderful trip. We will certainly stay there again on our next visit to Carmel.

Room Tip: I suspect all the rooms are fine, as we took the least expensive one available and were very happy.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
julian b, Owner at Carmel Garden Inn, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you. Your comments about our recommendations of things to do and see highlights something I have tried to accomplish in each of the now 18 Inns i have owned since 1966: give the guest a lot more than a room however grandly furnished or decorated; give the guest an experience; one they will remember and cherish over the years. Carmel is such a charming interesting and special place. We (Mary, Dennis, Susan and myself) have more than 150 years of living and experiencing Carmel to share. And in the sharing, we have the tremendous opportunity of having our guests from all over the world, share their travels, experiences, lives with us.Thank you for this opportunity to share! Julian
High Falls, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

On several stays I've never found anything but pleasure at Carmel Garden Inn. The rooms are charming (excellent beds) and the staff warm and welcoming. The complimentary breakfast in the cheery dining area always includes something homemade--cheese scones, frittata, waffles and more. Between 4 and 6 p.m. you're invited for wine, cheese, and dips (try the beet dip--trust me!). On my last visit a slight misunderstanding meant that our host Julian ironed my linen shirt and did a very good job, too. It's a good story; ask about it. The location is excellent for enjoying the area. I can't recommend this Inn too highly.

Room Tip: I had a room with a street entrance, but it was perfectly quiet and also convenient.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
julian b, Owner at Carmel Garden Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Thank you so very much for your special words and staying with us. We try really hard to please but I have to admit, ironing you linen was special to you. However, Dennis and Susan want me to set up an ironing board in the dining room and post my availability to iron. I am thinking about it. Anway, thank you again for your praise and recognition. Most sincerely, Julian and all of us.

Been to Carmel Garden Inn? Share your experiences!