Thanks to the reviews on Tripadvisor and the awesome introductory rates due to new ownership, we had to try this B&B out on our last trip. Things were pretty good, and I can tell that the management and staff are striving for even more improvement, so if the prices don't go up too much, we will definitely be switching allegiance and making this our go-to lodging in Carmel (we got married here and so come quite often and have seen a lot of Carmel B&Bs and hotels). Here is the rundown:
- the staff was so kind an helpful with everything we needed. They even overheard us talking about wanting to see wildlife during wine and cheese and have us the perfect kayaking suggestion.
- The rooms and grounds are adorable. I love the unique little gardens. We stayed in the Rosemary room, and I think it might be the best one.
- the wine and cheese hour and fire pit with s'mores makings are nice touches.
- our room was listed on the website as having a kitchenette. As we were staying for a few nights with a recent high school grad to celebrate, we decided to bring groceries and cook one dinner to save money and indulge at other meals. The kitchenette, however, is not a true kitchenette, but only a mini fridge, microwave and sink. This should be specified on the website. Luckily, since we already had all our groceries, the staff let us use their kicthen to cook. I know it was out of the ordinary, and it really stood out as good service.
- I know they are in the process of remodeling, and hope that the shower temperatures get addressed soon. The water would go from scalding to freezing with the slightest tap. It took so long to get it to the right temperature, that once I did get it right, I actually just left it running and tag-teamed the next person as fast as possible so they wouldn't have to go through the whole charade.
- Based on other reviews, I think this was a fluke, but our breakfast wasn't great. The first morning, the only thing I the way of homemade was some cold jalapeño corn bread. The granola was a little stale, and man do I hate plane hardboiled eggs, which were the only protein option. The second morning there was a broccoli frittata that was much better, but we never did see any scones or breads as mentioned.
Overall, I have really high hopes for this place and hope that the prices don't shoot up too!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Your review is appreciated and your comments (especially regarding the water) help us to continue improving. A major remodel of the bathrooms is scheduled for this winter and will include new pipes and a high efficiency recirculating water pump system. Our goal is to give the finest service, quality accommodations at a price reflecting 'good value'. We look forward to your next stay. Thank you Julian
Report response as inappropriate
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.