“I will come again!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Carmel Garden Inn

and 1 more site!
You added Carmel Garden Inn to your Saves list
Carmel Garden Inn
NW Corner 4th Street and Torres, Carmel, CA 93921 (Formerly Carmel Garden Court Inn)   |
Ranked #5 of 28 Carmel B&B and Inns
Tel Aviv, Israel
“I will come again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

stayed there for two nights. was very very happy with the place. pros: location is good, walking distance to town center. staff is super nice and helpful. breakfast has chill homemade stuff. rooms are nice. GREAT value.
cons: a little far from the beach but still walkable, rooms are small, bathroom are tiny and kind of old (but clean).

julian b, Owner at Carmel Garden Inn, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Susan was especially happy you enjoyed her chili cornbread. While we all take pride in our food and wines, Susan just loves to make her cornbread and of course her granola. Your review and praise is warmly welcomed. See you when you come to Carmel again. Thank you, Julian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Jose, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I found the Carmel Garden Inn via Trip Advisor and was drawn in by the great reviews and introductory rates. Something I really appreciated was that they did not have a 2-night minimum stay. It's hard for us to find childcare for two nights, but the options for a 1-night stay are really limited. As it turned out, everything about our stay was even better than I expected! My husband and I spent one night in the Jade room which was an end unit. Our room was lovely, comfortable and super clean and we were able to park right outside our door. Our room had a nice big chair and super plush throw blanket, which was perfect for curling up next to the fire place with a book and cup of tea. There was coffee and a nice selection of teas provided in the room, as well as a Brita water pitcher, which I thought was really great to have. The bathroom is definitely ready for a remodel and I know that is in the works, but the fact that it was super clean really made up for it. Also, I don't think the mattress in our room had been replaced yet and it was kind of sloped on both edges, so it felt like we were fighting to keep from rolling off. The innkeepers were all really nice people and more than helpful when it came to giving us tips about what to see, where to eat, etc. Susan's granola is indeed fantastic, as was the rest of our breakfast. We had boiled eggs, fruit, yogurt, warm blueberry muffins and a jalapeno cornbread topped with sour cream and salsa. That might not sound very "breakfasty", but it was really good and I'm even planning to recreate it at home! The wine and cheese time was nice and we enjoyed talking with Andrew who was on evening duty. We did not have time to do the smores pit... Maybe next time! We definitely will be back, and hopefully the bathrooms reno will be complete and we'll have better luck with the mattress too. Thanks for making our stay so enjoyable, we really can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Jade is an end unit, so you only have to share one wall.
julian b, Owner at Carmel Garden Inn, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for your review. We decided that the two night minimum would be inconvenient for many folks and really appreciate your pointing it out to re-enforce that we made the right decision. We are wishing summer was over so we could get at those bathrooms, especially those that really need work. As you said (and we appreciate your comment on this as well) they are ready but really clean. We asked our housekeepers to read your review. They need the praise as well. Thank you from them! Looking forward to your next visit, Julian
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Thanks to the reviews on Tripadvisor and the awesome introductory rates due to new ownership, we had to try this B&B out on our last trip. Things were pretty good, and I can tell that the management and staff are striving for even more improvement, so if the prices don't go up too much, we will definitely be switching allegiance and making this our go-to lodging in Carmel (we got married here and so come quite often and have seen a lot of Carmel B&Bs and hotels). Here is the rundown:
- the staff was so kind an helpful with everything we needed. They even overheard us talking about wanting to see wildlife during wine and cheese and have us the perfect kayaking suggestion.
- The rooms and grounds are adorable. I love the unique little gardens. We stayed in the Rosemary room, and I think it might be the best one.
- the wine and cheese hour and fire pit with s'mores makings are nice touches.
- our room was listed on the website as having a kitchenette. As we were staying for a few nights with a recent high school grad to celebrate, we decided to bring groceries and cook one dinner to save money and indulge at other meals. The kitchenette, however, is not a true kitchenette, but only a mini fridge, microwave and sink. This should be specified on the website. Luckily, since we already had all our groceries, the staff let us use their kicthen to cook. I know it was out of the ordinary, and it really stood out as good service.
- I know they are in the process of remodeling, and hope that the shower temperatures get addressed soon. The water would go from scalding to freezing with the slightest tap. It took so long to get it to the right temperature, that once I did get it right, I actually just left it running and tag-teamed the next person as fast as possible so they wouldn't have to go through the whole charade.
- Based on other reviews, I think this was a fluke, but our breakfast wasn't great. The first morning, the only thing I the way of homemade was some cold jalapeño corn bread. The granola was a little stale, and man do I hate plane hardboiled eggs, which were the only protein option. The second morning there was a broccoli frittata that was much better, but we never did see any scones or breads as mentioned.
Overall, I have really high hopes for this place and hope that the prices don't shoot up too!

julian b, Owner at Carmel Garden Inn, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Your review is appreciated and your comments (especially regarding the water) help us to continue improving. A major remodel of the bathrooms is scheduled for this winter and will include new pipes and a high efficiency recirculating water pump system. Our goal is to give the finest service, quality accommodations at a price reflecting 'good value'. We look forward to your next stay. Thank you Julian
Lafayette
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Booked this B&B via internet and was so happy with our stay. Our room was spacious, clean and so Carmel with vintage furniture. The complimentary breakfasts were sufficient to start the day off. Beds perfect, showers so so with little pressure. All and all a perfect weekend in Carmel. Highly reocommend the Garden Inn.

julian b, Owner at Carmel Garden Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Your review is really appreciated. Especially your comments about the beds. and being clean. We are continuing to renovate and refurbish, being guided by the busy summer, figuring out how to preserve the Inn's history while updating the furniture, plumbing fixtures etc. and listening to the comments from you, our guests. Your input in these areas is also very valued by us. Thanks, Julian
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

What a wonderful quant bed and breakfast I came upon! From the moment I arrived, to the day I left, I had the most wonderful stay! The owners were so conscientious, making sure I was happy, as well as the other guests, and we had the most delicious home made granola, scones and other delightful goodies for breakfast. The rooms are cozy and the beds are soooooooooo comfortable! It's walking distance to everything and I met the nicest people there, during my stay. I've been coming to Carmel for over 20 years and have had my favorite spots, but this has definitely become my home away from home. They also serve wine and cheese in the afternoon, and have the nicest people working there!!! I will definitely come back soon, and again and again!

Room Tip: My favorite rooms are the ones with a patio...................where you can just sit outside and enj...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
julian b, Owner at Carmel Garden Inn, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Your review is greatly valued by all of us at the Inn. We individually take pride in making our guests feel at home and comfortable, most of all happy. It is the input from you, our guests, that fuels our enthusiasm about the present and prospects for the future. Thank you, Julian and us all.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

The Carmel Garden was lovely. We were very happy during our stay. The rooms are indeed dated but they're clean and you can't beat the staff - they are all lovely and did everything possible to make our time at the inn enjoyable.
Thank You Carmel Garden Inn for a lovely 4th of July getaway!
Rebekah & Ramon Rivera
- Ham & Bessie too!

julian b, Owner at Carmel Garden Inn, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for your review. Your comments help us fine tune and guide the changes we are continuing to make at the Inn, especially in the rooms to undo the dated pieces and yet respect the Inn's history and charm of Carmel, largely the same over decades. A difficult task but together with listening to the comments of our guests, we are confidant our Inn will improve over the coming months. Julian
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed for two nights in the "Iris" room at the $134 introductory rate, which we found to be quite a steal for such a charming place in notoriously expensive Carmel.

Pros:

1. Service was the best we've ever encountered, and we have visited a lot of B&Bs over the years.
2. Breakfast was fantastic. The coffee was great, which is not a frequent find in such situations. The homemade granola touted on the website was delicious, as were the varying breakfast offerings also made in-house (we had frittata, cornbread, blueberry coffee cake, and pumpkin-chocolate chip breakfast bread).
3. Location was wonderful--just a few blocks away from Ocean Avenue. We were far enough away that we weren't bothered by passersby but close enough to everything that we used our car only once, to go to the beach with full gear.
4. The room was decorated very nicely and stayed quite cool thanks to the old-fashioned crank-style windows. We didn't get a chance to use the fireplace, but it looked like it would have been lovely.

Cons:

1. I believe the Inn is in the process of replacing the beds and hasn't quite gotten around to the Iris room yet. The mattress felt like it was not very secure on the bedframe, and my husband's side of the bed sloped downward. He felt a bit like he was rolling off.
2. There was a loud noise in our room each morning (somewhere around 5-6am, I'd guess) that sounded like a very tight faucet being opened and closed. It woke us up each time out of deep sleep. There was no other guestroom directly behind our bed, so I'm not sure where it came from.
3. The pillows on the bed were pretty uniformly firm, though there 6 to choose from. I would have liked at least 2 pillows to be a little softer for us side- and stomach-sleepers.

Overall, we very much enjoyed our stay. We will definitely return and hope that the few minor issues mentioned will be fixed so that our next review will be five stars! The innkeepers are so obviously enthusiastic regarding their guests' comfort that I'm sure our next stay will be even better than this one.

Room Tip: Iris (Room 8) is right off of Torres Avenue. It was quiet at night, but there was a fair amount of f...
julian b, Owner at Carmel Garden Inn, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you so much for your review and the pros. However, it is the cons for which we are immensely appreciative. We are simply not capable of seeing our accommodations in anywhere near the depth that you, as our guests, can. Tummy pillows have been ordered and the noise investigators have been called in. Etc. It is with your help that we can continue improving our Inn not just to suit what we believe is right, but what will make you as our guests most comfortable and happy. Thank you! Julian

Been to Carmel Garden Inn? Share your experiences!