“Our new first choice in Carmel” 5 of 5 stars

You added Lincoln Green Inn to your Saves list
Lincoln Green Inn
26200 Carmelo St, Carmel, CA 93921   |
Mill Valley, CA
“Our new first choice in Carmel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We have stayed in many nice hotels in Carmel, but this will be our first choice from now on. The grounds are like a little fantasy bit of the English countryside, and our cottage was lovely, clean and comfortable (the bed was a dream!) I, my husband, our teen-aged daughter and niece, and our three small dogs stayed in the Robin Hood cabin. It has two full bedrooms, a decently sized bathroom, beautiful living room with fireplace, and a small kitchen area with microwave, coffee maker and fridge. (The one-bedroom cottages have a full kitchen.) There is also an enclosed patio with table and chairs that we really enjoyed. We already know Carmel pretty well, but the staff was friendly and helpful. Our continental breakfasts always arrived spot on time, and as ordered. We found the location perfect. It's a bit further from the town center than some hotels, but still within a short, pleasant walk. It's very close to Carmel River Beach, which we prefer to the city beach, and it's an easy drive to Carmel Valley and the mission church. I can hardly think of a thing we'd change. The weather was "iffy" during our stay, but we were happy just hanging out at our cozy cottage.

Room Tip: There is a trade-off: Robin Hood has two bedrooms but just a kitchenette; the other cottages have ju...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Oakland, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is an update of an earlier review, as the property has changed owners:

My family again stayed here for a week, renting out 4 of the 5 cottages, so I have seen most of them. All but Robin Hood have a full kitchen, which we really appreciated, as well as a bbq. This was particularly nice as we are a large group and do not always want to go to a restaurant; instead, we gathered at one of the cottages and grilled for dinner.

The grounds have been re-done and are lovely - lots of flowers and still a very friendly cat (Buddy). Also, each cottage now has an outdoor sitting area. We enjoyed wine and cheese every afternoon in front of the gas fire, as well as chatting with Betsy, the innkeeper.

In terms of location, we like that it is further from town. You can easily walk to the beach (very uncrowded at this end even on a sunny day). I enjoy walking, so for me, a walk to downtown was pleasant and not too far. Others may want to drive.

Basically, staying here is like having a small house, but with continental breakfast provided for you!

Room Tip: My two favorites are Friar Tuck and Little John. They are both further back on the property and fee...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Carmel, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

we just stayed another wonderful 5 days @ the lincoln green inn. the cleanest, most accomodating hotel in carmel. we've been coming for over 10 years. the innkeeper, Betsy, & the staff are wonderful & are there when you need them. we'll be back in sept & dec. it's like our private beach getaway in the most beautiful spot in the world. bela, marty,blanca, lucky, dale, & vicky.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Novato, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This was our fifth time staying at Lincoln Green Inn. Our third in Maid Marion. Each time the cottage is even lovelier than before. They have added French doors leading to a private garden with chairs and table. The décor, very country French has been chosen with care and creates a warm and cozy atmosphere. The kitchen is well equipped with blender, toaster, coffee maker. Even a pitcher of cream in the fridge. Very thoughtful. The cottages are very private. No noise and intrusion by other guests. We love to go there and are welcomed by friendly staff each time. the beds are exceptionally comfortable and they use luxurious bedding. Most who come to Carmel have a car so the short drive to Ocean Dr. shouldn't be an issue. I am surprised by the criticism of some reviewers. I've stayed in some luxury hotels that provide a tiny coffeepot with undrinkable coffee and powdered cream substitute. We so look forward to our next visit. Thank you for your lovely inn.

Room Tip: All cottages are charming.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

In the context of so many choices in this price range, this property under-performs, or more correctly, those running it seem to be missing some key issues that make a place like this truly a memorable experience. It's a shame, because, it is lovely and the cottages are reasonably comfortable.
The negatives:
1) Continental Breakfast - is very limited, grocery store/costco quality and does not include coffee. You are given supplies to make your own.
2) Wine and Cheese - not put out daily. I have no idea why they didn't bother to put it out one day.
3) They needed to do deck repairs to our unit and gave us a choice of time but did not give us the option to refuse it.
4) Spiders. Several of them in the course of a few days. And very large. We used to own a B & B in an historic building, in the mountains, and monthly pest control can do wonders.
5) They charge HOTEL TAX on a pet "fee". I have never been taxed on a pet fee. Not sure that is even legal. HOTEL TAX is a room tax. A fee is a fee.
6) They provided a used (and wet) sponge in the kitchen in a dirty dish drainer. Kind of destroys confidence in the true cleanliness of the place despite appearances.
7) The only interaction staff had with us was to take our credit card and comment on the deck repair. Otherwise, they are barely seen and gone by 5pm.
8) Don't expect to enjoy the gardens too much. The cushions are left out 24/7 and always wet of course (it's a beach city)>

Be aware that the property is exactly 1 mile from the downtown although you can access Carmel River Beach about .3 miles away. Everything else is definitely a car ride. Do not walk to Mission Ranch (as the web site says) unless during the day as Carmel has not street lights and the roads are very dark at night.

We were so disappointed (and creeped out by the spiders), we drove home our last night and didn't stay over to morning. We left the keys in their mailbox but they probably had no idea we left early (unless they read this review, of course).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
QuickSilver12, General Manager at Lincoln Green Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our inn. You have expressed some issues that we will work on, and appreciate your bringing them up. I believe I was personally here during your stay, as that is the only time we worked on the deck of Little John recently (due to a hazard). I was very concerned regarding noise, so asked the clerk to talk with you to see if there might be a time guests would be away from the cottage so we could have the minimum amount of noise during the stay. I was back at the cottage several times attempting to keep the noise to a minimum and to further the progress, finally shutting it down when I felt it had gone on too long. At some point, when I was outside the cottage in the walkway, I thanked the guest for putting up with the noise, and I was told casually “no problem”. I was grateful, as most of our guests deserve peace and quiet and want their privacy.

I walk the grounds many times in a day, but attempt to stay away from the individual cottages so as not to disturb anyone. Since we have individual cottages, we do not have a common living/great room for guests to gather, as they have their own living room. They do gather during our afternoon wine and cheese hour in the patio area outside the office.

I had looked for the occupants to say hello and ask how their stay was, but aside from the thanking for their good nature for the intrusion of the deck, and one other time late in the afternoon when I asked if they wished to share in our wine and cheese hour. I was told no, they were fine, and since the prior two days I did not see anyone from the cottage (and the other cottage had already told me they did not want any), I did not put it out. I am sorry that was the case.

Our shifts here begin at 10:30 in the office until 6 (except rarely 5:30 if all work is completed). The phone is forwarded to my cell phone prior to their departure so that if there is an emergency or simply calls coming in for other requests, it is answered from 8 am to 9 pm with another emergency number after that time. We promptly come back to handle a problem if it cannot be solved over the phone.

Daily, many guests come into the office to request items or let us know if they are having a problem, and we are always happy to accommodate these requests if at all possible. Everything from the usual “extra towel” to printing of boarding passes or how to operate the TV/VCR remotes are promptly seen to.

We take your comments on all things seriously and I’m sure will benefit from them as we do our research on this. I do wish that you would have brought your concerns to the office during your stay if you did not see anyone, as we would have attempted to solve any concerns at the time.

Sincerely
Betsy and Staff
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This being our first visit to Carmel, we picked the Lincoln Green Inn based on it's rating of #1 in Carmel and the rave reviews online. The place is in a quiet part of the little town, close to the beach and not too far from the downtown shopping area.

Our "Innkeeper" wasn't too pleasant or outgoing at check-in (OK, maybe she had a rough day, managing 4 units). Our Maid Marian cottage was roomy and nice enough - but there was a strong "doggie" odor that we never could air out or spray away.

The bed was extremely comfortable - and the linens were clean - the unit was clean and the lady that cleaned and delivered our continental breakfast was extremely sweet (although she barely spoke English).

The "Flatscreen" TV's are pretty tiny - which wasn't a big deal, as we weren't there to watch TV, but the NBA Finals were on during our stay and MH wanted to watch them of course.

The breakfast being delivered was a nice convenience - but it's just a basic continental fare - nothing spectacular or amazing. Too bad they don't offer goods from the local businesses (It was more like Costco stuff).

The other "Innkeeper" is a lady that's older - she's pleasant enough - but she also got on her phone early in the mornings, just outside our door and gossiped away with friends - and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't tune her out. She wasn't overly helpful with hints on things to do or places not to miss either.

Overall, for the price, I don't think we got what we paid for, I will try a different place upon return, there are many, many options in Carmel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
QuickSilver12, General Manager at Lincoln Green Inn, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Thank you for your comments during your recent stay with us in June.

Regarding the Innkeepers, we certainly regret that they were not more helpful to you.
We have had a meeting regarding your review to rectify any situation that might come up, and to be certain we have up-to-date restaurant information, as well as information on things to do.

Shifts start at 10:30 each morning and we are puzzled regarding early morning phone calls by our clerks. At times, guests use our outside patio area to make personal calls, so I am wondering if that may have been the case. Rules have been reinforced with the clerks, who are not allowed personal phone calls except in an emergency.

Since your stay, we have added private patios in back of each cottage with outdoor furniture, and our guests have commented how pleasant that has been for them.

We regret your stay did not meet your expectations. We do encourage you to bring any complaints you might have to management at the time it is happening so they may be addressed and solved.

Betsy, Manager
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as a family of four. It was nice to have the extra living space and private outdoor area. It's an older property which gives it some character, but the unit we were in (Friar Tuck) doesn't seem to have been updated in years. The nightly rate seemed exorbitant considering the condition of the unit. While we appreciated the serenity of the area and the Inn's proximity to two beautiful beaches, we probably wouldn't stay here again. The quality of accommodations don't match the nightly rate.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Lincoln Green Inn? Share your experiences!