“Great customer service” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
bay area, ca
“Great customer service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

My husband and I ate here with our 6 year old son. Like one reviewer commented, children are welcome here. I have been to nearby snooty restaurants where other customers seem to visibly cringe when you walk in with a young child. It wasn't the case for this little restaurant. It had a charming and relaxed atmosphere. Our server was very sweet and attentive. It was quite busy the afternoon that we arrived. The restaurant is small and the tables are closely packed. However, that didn't take away from our dining experience. The food is good and inexpensive for the area. Everything that we ate was delicious. I had the chicken kebabs, my husband the gyro, my son raviolis and we shared pita bread with yummy tzatziki dip. That was sooo good. Our server asked us if we wanted to order dessert and we declined. Moments later, we were brought baklava which we were told, was on the house. Again, a very nice gesture. We'll definitely come back again!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great place with great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I was taking my wife on a driving trip up the coast of California and spent an evening in Carmel. This little gem of a restaurant had great reviews and a surprisingly low price point for the area so I made a reservation for the night we would be in town. This restaurant seemed to be the only place in Carmel that was full and alive after the shops closed down. There were quite a few people trying to get in to Dametra while most other restaurants appeared to have plenty of space and after eating here I know why.

The food is fantastic and reasonably priced. The host and the decor make you feel like the place was lifted out of the Mediterranean and plopped down on the main street of Carmel. You will need a reservation so keep that in mind! We arrived a few minutes early and our table was not ready yet, but we were greeted with enthusiasm and the host gave both my wife and I a complimentary glass of wine while we waited. And it was a pretty decent glass of wine as well -- he did not just give us the cheapest glass on the menu, but rather one of the more expensive ones because he thought it was what his guests would enjoy. (And he was right! I ended up ordering more of that same wine with my dinner)

The food is true Mediterranean style with influences from Greece and Turkey and Lebanon but was fantastic. Prepared perfectly with generous but not overly large portions. The staff of the restaurant seems to enjoy what they do, stopping everything to perform a song a dance and bringing some of the diners into the celebration with them. It felt genuine, not like a "happy birthday" experience at chili's but a real moment of celebration with their guests. When we left the host personally thanked us for coming to his restaurant and gave both my wife and I a hug. Again it felt like he really was grateful we chose to spent an evening in his place instead of somewhere else. All in all it was an amazing dinner and can't recommend this place enough.

Cupertino, California
“Entertaining and Very Good Food Too”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

If nothing else you will be entertained. Grouchy old people should avoid Dametra as you will only spoil it for the rest of the patrons. This place is just plain fun and full of color.

The experience begins with a very friendly host who likes to shake hands and hug. Our table was not ready so he got us a complimentary glass of wine to ease the pain of waiting, which was less than 5 minutes. The Chef sings while the host plays a Greek guitar, the guests clap to the music and join right in: some even get up and dance in the narrow path between tables. It's all fun.

Smile, have fun and rock the evening away folks. Not your normal over priced vacation restaurant.

Oh yes, the food is very good and surprisingly inexpensive for the location on Ocean Avene in downtown snobish Carmel-by-the-Sea.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
chicago
“Fabulous Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We went to Dametra Café for lunch today and it was very good! We just stumbled upon it and were pleasantly surprised. The staff was very friendly and they did not mind that we had two toddlers with us. They were super friendly to the kids and talked to them as if truly interested - that doesn't happen normally. The food was very good - I really enjoyed the spinach pie and my husband enjoyed the chicken schwarma. Oh and the bread they bring to the table before the meal is yummy - warm and fresh. Lovely atmosphere, lovely and fun staff, and great food. Very nice way to spend our lunchtime!

marlborough
“loved it all”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We loved this restaurant. The food was wonderful, the management and employees were charming. During dinner they all, including the excellent chef, sang, danced and played various instruments. The place is tiny and crowded but the atmosphere created by all was friendly, informal and fun.