“I swear is was in Europe.....” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 152 restaurants in Carmel
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Charlotte
“I swear is was in Europe.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

My husband and I were in CA for a few days of golf at Pebble Beach, however before we came, we knew we wanted to check out Carmel and the dining. Dametra Cafe is #1 on Trip Advisor for a reason.
Please don't be intimidated by the close quarters (if you have been to Europe, this is normal).
The staff is amazing and the owner introduced himself at our table and later thanked us for coming. You can tell his soul in this restaurant and we fed off of his infectious vibe.
Our spanokopita appetizer was so fresh and flavorful, I had to stop eating so I could enjoy my meal. There are so many Greek and Italian dinner selections it's difficult to choose...
The best part of the experience is when the owner and wait staff break out playing music and interacting with the guests, my husband said he hasn't seen me smile that much in a long time. Please go, you won't regret this choice!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

92% Recommend
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Northampton, Massachusetts
“Just not very good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We relied on the trip advisor reviews and we were very disappointed; not particularly authentic or tasty. This is probably the only time we found the reviews were the opposite of the experience so I feel compelled to warn others. It is not that it was bad, just mediocre at best.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Sandwich, United Kingdom
“Lack of Authenticity Lets it Down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

The tables are quite close together, which is fine if you like listening to your neighbors' conversations. Our waitress, Melissa, was very friendly and efficient. Unfortunately, some of the food lacked flavor and authenticity. The Greek salad for example was very tasty, but had little to do with Greece. The lamb shank, very tender as it was, had no original Greek flavor, but tasted of cheap gravy granules. Even the Gyros was sausage meat and not slices of "real" meat, which is typical of Turkey or Greece. Apparently, the owners are Jordanian and Syrian, so why don' t they prepare their native food instead of Greek, Italian etc. That would be more authentic at least.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Brasil
“Wonderful choice in Carmel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We arrived for a late lunch at the Dametra Café on a weekday in Carmel. I had read about it at some blog and decided to visit as I really enjoy mediterranean/arabic food. We did not wait long for a table although the restaurant was busy. Staff was nice and food was really good. The wine and desert (delicious baklava) the waitress suggested were the cherry on the ice cream. The only thing is that the restaurant is very small and I do not like when I have the impression people on the next table are listening to my conversation, but it wasn´t exactly a problem. Very nice choice in Carmel I would go back on a next trip.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Shanghai, Shanghai, China
“Great experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

Very good Mediterranean food, for a fair price. The overall experience is pretty cool, if you're in Carmel, you have to try this place out.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere