“Oooh so good!” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Houston,Texas
“Oooh so good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had chicken kabob with lemon sauce and loved. it. The dressing on the salad was delicious. I wish I had some of the Baba Ghanouj right now - YUM! And excellent baklava. I would have been happy to spend the entire day just sitting there and eating myself silly. Will definitely eat there anytime I'm in Carmel. The wait staff is very good as well.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Sonoma Ca.
“I know now why it's rated #1!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Sometimes you wonder how a restaurant is rated so high! Simple, Food, Service and Experience! Food was outstanding! I had the Lamb Shank with the Potatoes Au Gratin and Veggies, Dametra Salad and Hummus and Pita. Wow! Excellent! Service, let's just say that everyone that worked in the restaurant came over to check on us to make sure everything was satisfactory! I mean everyone! Experience, the surprise music which got every female including my wife out of the seat dancing in the aisles was awesome! Guitars, drums, tambourines! They are incredible how they play the instruments and sing. But what I liked most was when you left you felt like family saying goodbyes! They make sure you feel that way! It's pretty awesome! My wife and I thank you!

Visited September 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

After reading the reviews, my husband and I had lunch this past weekend. The Cafe is a small restaurant and a wine bar next door which is all part of Dametra Cafe. Luckily we were in the wine bar area which is less crowded and quieter. The food was average and the wine list was adequate. We started with the hummus and pita bread. It was good but not stellar. I had the lamb shank which was recommended by the waitress. Again, it was good but I wouldn't think of returning for these dishes. The bathroom is in the kitchen. Since they are so busy, there is always a line of people waiting for the one bathroom and you feel like you are in the way of the waiters going back and forth. Not really sure everything is to code back there. I will explore other restaurants the next time I go to Carmel.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Seattle, Washington
“Schwarma!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Went here twice in 3 days. The Schwarma was fantastic. The atmosphere was crowded but welcoming. The proprietor was gregarious and generous with wine samples. Loved it!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Arlington, Virginia
“Ok, Not Great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Dametra Cafe is No. 1 on Trip Advisor for Carmel, and a friend had also recommended it, so we were hopeful for a great experience. It's a crowded cafe, sort of a bistro, and you are greeted by the owner and other family members who appear to work hard at being warm and solicitous to their customers - perhaps a little too much. We started with bruschetta as an appetizer, and here's an example of why this place is ok, not great: The toast was just right and nicely warm, it had garlic scraped on it, the tomatoes were chopped exactly right -- but the tomatoes had been chilled. Tomatoes lose their flavor when they are chilled, and any good cook --certainly a professional -- would know that tomatoes shouldn't be chilled. It's a little thing, but the kind of thing that is telling about the quality of a restaurant. I had artichoke ravioli, which were also good, not great -- a little thick and heavy -- but garlicy and tasty. My partner had the lamb shank, which he also described as "good, not great." We opted against dessert, although the restaurant sent over some baklava -- tough and hard to cut -- gratis. The atmosphere here is fun, and as others have said, at one point in the evening the staff performs music and the guests clap along. It just seems like the owners are putting a lot of effort into warmth and atmosphere, when they should be putting more effort into the food.

Visited September 2013