“Fun & Friendly - A Carmel Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 151 Restaurants in Carmel
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Ontario
“Fun & Friendly - A Carmel Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

A small little cafe this place is not. Small? Yes Cafe? No, this is a wonderful little restaurant with a big heart, large portions and huge helping of fun and laughter. I had no idea when my bell hop at the Cypress Inn recommended this little hole in the wall how much I would adore this place.

With a varied menu (Greek, Italian, Mediterranean) there is something for everyone here. Usually lined up out the door (and worth the wait), this place is full of fun as every meal is serenaded by staff members playing the drums, guitar and a dishwasher with the most beautiful singing voice! Late at night you can expect to walk by and hear the cheers, see the dancing and hear the tinkles of laughter and glasses. It's definitely big on atmosphere, large helpings of traditional favourites like hummus, gyros, and pastas. I ate here several times for the great food and the performances by the staff. I was never disappointed.

I was always offered a free dessert with my tea. The tea is spectacular and service is impeccable.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Antelope, California
“Great food and very friendly atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We go to Carmel every year and always come back to Dametra Cafe. The Greek food is excellent. They have a small but nice wine list. The best part of this place is the very friendly staff. They are always
grateful to have you as a guest. It's best if you have reservations but we usually get right in when we don't. Yes, as others have said, this is a small restaurant but for us that just adds to the atmosphere.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Santa Barbara, CA
“Great stop for lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

The reviews are correct. This tiny restaurant is great. It looked full, but the host pulled two tables apart and set us up. The staff in this place was very friendly, kind and accommodating and the food was just delicious. I had the (best!) gyros, my daughter had the chicken schwarma sandwich, we split the (warm) dolmas and crusty perfect bread and we took Turkish coffee and baklava to have in the car. Highly recommended.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Good Food - fun cafe ambiance”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

The food was pretty good and I would return. For Carmel the prices are reasonable. A few points, the restaurant is small and the bathroom is really close to the kitchen. But something really fun was the staff came out and played the guitar and sang. Over all my family really enjoyed our lunch.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Northern Virginia
“Really yummy food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

My friend got lamb shank here and it was really good!!! Looks like they sucked out the marrow and put it on the lamb...sooo delicious. I got chicken schwarma, which came with a yummy Greek salad with feta and pesto-tasting dressing. I thought the lamb shank was better than the chicken schwarma, but the lamb shank is also more expensive. Prior to the meal, they provided some very tasty and warm fresh bread with a delicious mix of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Lastly, they gave us some free baklava for dessert, not sure if they give everyone free dessert or if it was just because we were from out of town.

This place is pretty small so you might want to call ahead or you might have to wait a bit.