“Don't Pass This Place Up” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 102 things to do in Carmel
More attraction details
Owner description: Watch whales in winter and sea lions all year round at this Bay Area nature reserve, which offers hiking, walking, bird watching, scuba diving and magnificent views.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Don't Pass This Place Up”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

I was on my way back to SFO after spending four days backpacking along the Big Sur coast. I'm a photographer and figured what could I possibly see at Point Lobos that I didn't see along Big Sur. I almost drove by, but figured for $10 I'd check it out. This place was amazing and I'm so glad I stopped. I pulled in at 1pm and left at 3pm and really felt like I needed another 2 or 3 hours to see the whole place. This was on a weekday and I had no problem parking, no wait at all. Plenty of seals, sea otters, even a blue whale. For photographers this place is a must and you could easily spend an entire day here.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Boston0212202122

Port Aransas, Texas
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 165 helpful votes
“Great place to see mammals”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

We came here to see the seals, otters, and sea lions. We were not disappointed. They usually are a lot closer to the beach, but since there were SO many people there, they were out in the distance.
I strongly suggest you take a wide angle lens to get a good picture.
There are so many things to see; we saw some whales migrating which I wasn't expecting.
The trails are kind of steep, so they're not for everyone.
The day we went, 12/29, it was so crowded, even at sunset. Another place to take an awesome pictures. We saw some black deer when we were leaving.
I loved this place and it was great to see people from other countries enjoying what we sometimes take for granted.
The parking is $10, and you have to be patient. People were parking on the highway, which I'm glad we didn't. It was quite a journey for those walking it.

Brooklyn, New York
110 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 175 helpful votes
“Short walk or long hike ... Oh the views!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Whether you are looking for a short walk or a decent hike, this place offers absolutely fabulous views that really have to be seen to be believed. We arrived early and were glad we did as they start limiting cars when it gets busy so plan accordingly particularly on a nice day. The Whaler's Cabin is worth a stop and the short hike out to the cypress grove is a photographer's dream. $10 for a car and another $2 for a map and brochure. Worth every penny.

San Mateo, California
“Very Scenic Spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I spend a whole afternoon here with my family. Very scenic spot to look at. We took a lot of nice pictures of the cliffs and the ocean.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Heaven on Earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

We visited this wonderful state reserve by chance - came recommended over coffee with locals in Carmel. It is like stepping into Heaven on Earth. We were alone for most of the time - we visited in December. The weather was glorious. Amazing aquamarine waters, blue skies. The best views you could possibly imagine. A Maritime Protected coastline. Lovely walks. Wildlife everywhere. We were very lucky to have three deer walk and feed right in front of us. They moved on quite nonchanantly after about 10 minutes while we stood there spellbound. Better was to come - we saw a pod of humpback whales spouting and rising slightly above the water. After we left the reserve we followed them down the coast, stopping at every viewpoint we could. They had been quite a way out when we first spotted them at Point Lobos but later came much further in so they were very visible. Absolute magic!!! We feel very priviledged to have been to this beautiful part of the planet.

1 Thank OrianaB108