“Locals call this Mortuary Beach” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #28 of 121 Attractions in Carmel
Carmel
3 attraction reviews
“Locals call this Mortuary Beach”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

This is a wonderful beach if you want to enjoy a picnic, a sunset, or if you are a VERY EXPERIENCED cold water SCUBA enthusiast. Part of Carmel River State Beach, it is known as Monastery Beach because of it's location across form the Carmelite Monastery. The beach is beautiful but extremely dangerous. We live very near this beach and can attest to the number of drowning deaths and serious accidents that occur regularly. Please do not visit with small children who are apt to want to run to the water's edge to play. Same warning for dogs. Stay on the inland side of the crest of sand. If you're visiting the area with kids, a better location for playing in the bay is at Lovers Point in Pacific Grove.

Visited April 2013

Santa Clara, California
“Dangerous and Scary !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Be careful if you plan to visit this beach. I almost got drowned here. My husband(who also almost got drowned) and a friend of ours saved us. The waves were gigantic which pulled me off and I fell down near the shore calling for help. Many people have drowned here and it is well known as 'Mortuary Beach' which I got to know later from locals after this incident. Stay safe if you plan to visit this.

Visited April 2013
Carmel, California
39 attraction reviews
“Beautiful beach but treacherous and dangerous”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

A beautiful beach just south of Carmel and across Highway 1 from the Carmelite Monastery, the beach is attractive to tourists driving on Highway 1. While it's a beautiful sandy beach, the tides and undertow is dangerous with the ocean bottom dropping off deeply. Known to locals as mortuary beach due to the high incidences of drownings of tourists stopping to enjoy the beach and getting caught unawares. The signs warning tourists are there for a reason - and despite those warnings people continue to test the waters.

Visited February 2013
Reno, Nevada
“Deceptively Beautiful”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Monastery Beach is a deceptive beach. It is beautiful in it's half moon shape, white almost pebble sand, roaring waves and scenic looks out of a postcard. Growing up in Monterey, C.A. fourth generation now living near Reno, N.V. I have been to all of the central coast beaches as far down as Pismo Beach C.A.I only touch the shore now when visiting this Monastery beach. My mother used to take me there all the time growing up never letting me go into swim. One time I did by the second step passed the sand berm I was practically chest deep and luckily it was a low tide day I ended up crawling back on to the shore. The only other beach like that in my opinion is Marina beach slightly north of Monterey on highway one, about four miles has almost the same drop, but more sandy. Monastery I feel is for experienced divers only and even at that it's risky.Even in Reno, I have clients that ask me about that particular beach because they want to dive I warn them and say at your risk. I mention to them to go to Del Monte Beach or Santa Cruz. There is an interesting Monastery across the street on highway one where the beach must have gotten it's name. Beautiful, but taking your chances for sure.

Visited August 2012
Pacific Grove, CA
5 attraction reviews
“Beautiful view; dangerous ocean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This beach is a favorite of locals (us) and visitors. The sand is fine and the view is spectacular. The beach is rarely crowded; HOWEVER, please observe the warning signs and do not venture into the ocean. Not even up to your ankles. The rip current here is a killer - literally. Too often there have been tragic losses at this beach.

Visited December 2012