“Family friendly hotel without making you feel like you're at a theme park.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa

Special Offer
3rd Night Free/Breakfast
Ranked #16 of 35 Hotels in Carlsbad
Sammamish, WA
“Family friendly hotel without making you feel like you're at a theme park.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

We loved our stay at the Sheraton Carlsbad. Professional and courteous staff, great pool area, activities for the kids, all in a relaxing atmosphere. Though this hotel is one of the official Legoland hotels, you'll barely notice, which is a good thing. The hotel balances the family vacation crowd with the business & non-family crowd very well. Free pool toys and swimmers for the kids - great poolside food and drink service for the adults. No kid-themed areas, just a huge pool area and fun activities in a traditional resort setting. The Legoland entrance is a bit strange - more like a converted service entrance for hotel guests, but it's nice to have a secret way in and out of the park. The rooms are typical starwood - beds are comfy and bath is decent sized. Our room included a fridge and a balcony. Overall, we loved our stay, enjoyed many of the activities and services the resort had to offer, and plan on visiting again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
carlsbadsheraton, Director of Operations at Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 7, 2010
We try to make our Resort comfortable for all of our guests...those with kids and those without. I think we strike a great balance and am glad this was your finding as well. We are proud to be a destination resort for all kinds of travel reasons: leisure, business & group. We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Manhattan Beach, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

We stayed here over the New Year's for 2 nights in a deluxe connecting rooms (traveling with 2 children.) Check in was a snap, staff were most efficient about getting us to our room asap so we could watch the fireworks from Legoland from our balconies. Kids loved it.!!! As mentioned on other reviews, hotel is within walking distance to Lego Land and has its own entrance. Outlets are only 5 mins away too!!!

Room is very spacious with delicious Starbucks coffee to enjoy in the morning. Great selection of TV channels. Now, here comes the pleasant surprises!!! Food at the property is great !!! I have ordered breakfast and lunch through room service and they were PROMPT !! 30 mins exactly!!!! Everything was yummy !!!! We also enjoyed their signature restaurant Twenty / 20.... Also fantastic !!

While there, they had a super kid-friendly New Year's Eve party !!! It was $75 / adult ticket ($65 if you booked early). With each adult ticket, you get two free kids tickets... so basically for a family of 4 ($150).... They had a kid buffet with the usual kid food... burgers, pasta, hot dogs, nuggets etc.... They also had an ice cream bar !! The adult buffet had variety of salads, entrees and grilled-to-order burgers and sausage. There was chilli too. They had a live-band,and a DJ .... Now, as far as the kids stuff, they had several rooms set up with crafts, face painting etc... They also had another banquet room set up with several Wiis, games, pingpong, etc.... The kids had a blast !!! There were all manned by the hotel staff.

Bravo Sheraton Carlsbad!!! We are looking forward to making this New Year's party a new family tradition !!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
I am thrilled that you enjoyed our New Years Eve event. This was our first annual Family Friendly New Years Eve and it was a lot of fun for us too! We will definitely enhance our music selection with a Top 40 mix to make this event even better this coming year.
Happy New Year to you and your family!
Visalia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2009

This hotel is beautiful and right next to legoland. The down side to this hotel is that they did not have enough people on staff to accommodate all their guests. We left our car with the valet parking which is a little more than parking it yourself. When we wanted to go to dinner, we had to wait awhile for the valet to get it. The valets were also doing double duty as bell hops. While I was waiting a heard the conceirge tell one of the valets that some guests at the park need to be picked up. He flat out refused and said "unless they are handicap, I don't have anyone that can pick them up". I sure was glad we hadn't gone to Legoland that day. They closed the gates to the private entrance that night for the fireworks show. I wanted to take a look at the Spa they have in the hotel and it was closed. It was about 3 pm when I went by there. The day we went to Legoland via the private entrance. It took a half hour to get into the park. They only had one person at the entrance and she was selling tickets as well as taking the tickets the guests had already purchased at the hotel. For a resort, the service was terrible. This hotel needs to get a clue. If your hotel is next to an amusement park and kids are out for Christams vacation. This would be a good time to have a FULL STAFF!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
I appreciate your taking the time to write a review of your experience with the resort. I apologize that we appeared to be under staffed during your stay. I have reviewed your comments with the resort department heads so that we can insure our future guests do not have the same experience.

Based on your feedback, LEGOLAND has agreed to add a second person at our private entry to expediate entry for our guests during these busy dates.

Again, your feedback will help us to continually improve all of our guest's experiences and I thank you.

Please call me directly so I can discuss your stay with your personally at 760-827-2412.
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

Our family of four stayed in this hotel before Christmas. We are SPG members who travelled all over the world and stayed in Starwood hotel chains. I'll have to say that this hotel is below the Sheraon's standard in other locations.

The good:
- pretty new hotel that conveniently located near Legoland.
- very spacious hotel room and nice furniture
- comfortible bed and pillow
- Internet service is complementary
- The heater works very well but it took more than 20 mins to heat up. Be patient!
- We requested a crib in our room and they sent one to our room

The bad:
- Spa is only free to the hotel guests from Tuesday to Thursday. We were told by the front desk that you have to have a spa treatment in order to use the steam room and shower in the spa other than Tuesday-Thursday
- The spa only opens from 10am-5pm, which is very short operating time if you want to go pamper yourself after a long day in legoland. The spa service is definitely a joke in this "resort".
- They charge $12 for self parking and $12 resort fee per day. Even though the hotel rate is $159/night, we ended up with paying more than $200/night after all these fees
- Very pricy hotel restaurant with $30-$50 per entry, really not worth the value. We drove 2 miles to "Pizza Port" in Carlsbad village and had a great pizza dinner there with $30 for the whole family.
- We stayed in room 2130 and the only available elevator in this building was broken. We had to carry all our luggages to the first floors using the stairs. We talked to 5 hotel staffs about the broken elevator since 2:30pm and it was finally fixed at 5:30pm
- Even though the hotel room looks nice, you can still see a lot of cheap constructional works. The light switch was installed crooked and missing a screw. The robe hanger in front of the shower has missing pieces.
- I can hear the kids upstairs jumping on the floor all evening. The sound proof was not that good.

Overall, our stay in this hotel was just ok with disappointment of not being able to use their spa and restaurant. If you want to go to Legoland, this place might be convenient enough for your trip. However, there was nothing around this property but Legoland.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
carlsbadsheraton, Director of Operations at Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 29, 2009
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our Resort. May I say I was very disappointed to learn that your experience was not what you've come to expect from a Sheraton?

We pride ourselves on taking great care of our customers and regret that is not what you found.

Regarding your concern about the prices in our restaurant, Twenty/20 Grill & Wine Bar does offer great Kid's Menus, which are a terrific value between $7-$9 and we do offer great meals under $20 for adults.

The elevator repair was done as quickly as possible so as to ensure guest safety. I am sorry that this was a inconvenience on a very busy holiday weekend.

I would love the opportunity to speak with you personally to discuss your experience. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction.

You can reach me directly at 760-827-2412.
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2009

Oh, I really don't want to tell you about this place because then there might not be a room for me next time. I absolutely love it here and really wish I could just have the whole place to myself. You know, though, it really feels that way now. I do see other people when I am out on the grounds, but the rooms are so quiet that I feel like I am the only one here. My room is huge and the beds are so comfortable. It's really hard to leave here to go to Legoland, because even though there is a private entrance directly from the hotel to the park, I am having so much fun here that I simply want to stay. They brought me complimentary cookies while I was out by the pool. They were dipped in fudge and drizzled with white chocolate. Everyone here is so friendly. They all genuinely like me. They are all so nice. They remember my name and our last conversation. My son pulls on my sleeve, asking when we will go back to Legoland. He had a wonderful day there yesterday and is so ready to return. We are walking past the windows of the spa and it looks so inviting. Maybe we can stay one more night -- or maybe two more -- oh, please save my room for me, for when I return. I promise I won't be gone long.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
I am thrilled that you had such a wonderful experience at our Resort and look forward to your family's return. Happy Holidays!
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

My son and I stayed one night at this hotel so we could go to LegoLand. The service was wonderful. We arrived at 9:30 a.m. and though our room was not yet ready, they checked us in and gave us a room key so we could park in the lot and use the hotel's private LegoLand entrance, which is a great way to beat the lines at the main LegoLand gate. We met friends in the park, then after an exhausting day, went back to the hotel to clean up and have have dinner in the restaurant. We went up to our room to change and found it to be very spacious, attractive and immaculately clean. When we got to the restaurant, it was full and they said it would be a 45 minute wait, but they could see we had 3 very tired kids under age 8, and they found a table for 6 for us. It's quite an upscale-looking restaurant, but they had a good, reasonably-priced kids' menu and the wait staff was very sweet to the kids. The adult menu was quite a bit fancier, but some very good food with a nice bottle of wine was a nice treat for the adults after our long day at the park. We had breakfast at the restaurant the next day, which was also quite good, with sensible portions and reasonably prices. The staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. This is not a cheap hotel, but if you want the most convenient access to LegoLand and an experience the kids and adult will both enjoy, this is the way to go.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
carlsbadsheraton, Director of Operations at Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 22, 2009
Thank you for writing such a wonderful review on our resort. I am delighted that you and your son had a great stay.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your meal at the Twenty/20 Grill & Wine Bar. We make every effort to ensure that both the adults AND kids are happy!

We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2009

We had a fantastic experience at this hotel this Thanksgiving weekend! The hotel was really clean, we stayed in a huge beautiful suite, the food and service were great and the location was really nice (close to Legoland, golfing, and the beach). We live in LA and this was a refreshing getaway. We will be back!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
carlsbadsheraton, Director of Operations at Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa, responded to this review, November 29, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with the Resort. I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Sincerely
Director of Hotel Operations

Been to Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!