“Rusted bath tub” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 34 hotels in Carlsbad
Tahiti, French Polynesia
“Rusted bath tub”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

What a deception. After a long flight and 1,5 hour driving we checked in at 22 h in a room with rust in the baht tub. I called the reception because i didnt want my 2 and 6 years to take a bath there and i was told there were no more available room clean tonight. I went to the front desk to show the picture of rust and was told again no room available. 15 mn later the office manager called me and actually at 22h30 we moved into another room.

• Stayed January 2013
mlconner, Manager at Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with the hotel. There is never an excuse when we fail to provide the basic needs for our guest. This has been addressed with our Leadership and Housekeeping teams. It is through our guest feedback that we are able to improve our hotel. We hope that you enjoyed the rest of your stay and that we have an opportunity to take care of you and your family.
Megan Conner
Hotel Manager

821 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We just got back a family of 4 staying two nights end of December for Legoland and a family friendly place for the New Year. Pluses: location and special entrance to Legoland, family friendly and nice staff in a great chain hotel. Food yummy and other dining choices nearby. Watching fireworks at 6pm Kid standard time was great. Minuses: Balcony very tiny with chairs and a table that even the kids had trouble navigating, electric golf cart is Legoland shuttle if you do not want to walk making anyone with a stroller make a long walk to the special gate through the parking lot..room service kids meal very over priced. Six dollars for one slice of french toast cut in half, another 6 for strawberries add oj and breakfast for one child 20! We have stayed at lots of places and bring a lot of food but room service can be a treat...not for those dollars ! Resort fee and pay to self park. We would stay again but plan even more and be prepared for a few inconveniences.

• Stayed December 2012
SUNSHINE COAST AUSTRALIA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed here 3 nights in November 2012. Our first stay, but my husband is SPG Plat. Didnt seem to get an upgrade really, as room seemed standard but on top floor - which was getting a steam clean around us ! a team of men cleaning several rooms and the hall way with steam cleaners each day progressing towards the lifts! Our room was clean and quite, bathroom needed more lighting - too dark to put on make up ! Ate out, and was busy shopping.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Lewisboro, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

This was a clean hotel. The staff were friendly and easy going. Lots of families here because of Legoland which you can walk to, but it is a bit of a trek. Only a little noise from the hallway, I could not hear noise from connecting rooms. We stayed on the 3rd floor which had a tiny balcony with views of the Carlsbad area. The hotel's restaurant was very expensive and their are few dining options without driving out to one of the main drags. We found affordable family restaurants on a road called Paseo De Norte.

Room Tip: 3rd floor was nice.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here recently with my family while visiting Legoland. The good news is that the hotel is quite new and the rate I got through the SPG website was only $180. The bad news is as follows:
- The service is spotty at best. One of my room service orders was wrong and another where I ordered soup, I was not given a proper spoon. I didn't complain and used a small spoon I was brought for mixing my tea.
- The valet service was not great. When we checked-in, the valet asked me to come back after to let him know my room number. I have never had to do this at any other hotel.
- The pool was freezing. I have read other complaints about this and have to agree.
- My "coastal view" room had a view of the parking lot and was largely obscured by trees. If I stood on the small patio table, I could just barely catch a glimpse of the ocean. We did not stay here for the view so this was not a big deal, but I think advertising an ocean view is disingenuous at best.
- I was under the impression that the hotel was connected to Legoland with its own private entrance. The private entrance they advertise is about a 5 to 10 minute walk through the parking lot and down a hill. This is okay on your way to the park but quite a pain when you have to hike up the hill with tired kids at the end of the day. I thought we would be able to take a quick break from Legoland midday but this was not practical. Beware that this entrance opens at 10 AM, even on the days when Legoland opens early at 9 AM. We learned this the hard way.
- Not directly related to this hotel, but I think the benefits of the Starwood Preferred Guest program are declining. I am a gold member and the only thing I find useful is the 4 PM late checkout offered. However, from my experience, it is rare that you can actually get a 4 PM checkout. I asked for this upon check in and was told that 1 PM was the best they could do as they were full over the holidays. After giving the front desk agent a tip, he suddenly found that a 2:30 PM check out would be possible. This was better, but still not 4 PM. I have no trouble handing out gratuities as I know a lot of service-industry employees depend on tips, but I think the 4 PM late check out is false advertising.

In summary, if you are only in Carlsbad to visit Legoland for a day or two, this is not a bad choice. However, if you are going to be there for longer or any other activities, do yourself a favour and stay at the Park Hyatt Aviara. It is only a 5 minute drive from Legoland. See my prior reviews of this hotel.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We returned for another quick pre-Christmas visit with the intention of visiting Legoland and then spending an hour at the pool in the late afternoon/early evening, as we did a year ago.

Last year, my children jumped into the pool with abandon and spent a joyful hour swimming in the warm pool with friends. This year, the pool was absolutely freezing. It was unbearably cold. I dipped my toes and went, "Yikes!" My hardy kids jumped in and stood there, chilled to the bone. One of my kids tried to warm up by swimming about - no luck. She couldn't make herself warm. My other child just stood there like a statue, unable to move it was so cold.

Management said the pool engineer tested the waters and said the pool temperature was 75 degrees but that the chill in the air made the pool water seem colder than it was. Last year, we were able to swim in the balmy water amidst the chilly air, but this year, the pool water was too cold for us to swim, try as we might to make ourselves warm.

I hope they heat the pool soon! We are disappointed to not have been able to enjoy the Sheraton Carlsbad pool like we did last year. Instead, we're entertaining kids by watching TV in our room.

Still, we love this resort and the staff is lovely.

Room Tip: The "ocean" view rooms are really "parking lot" view rooms. Yes, there's a d...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

I am a regular long term guest at the property and always receive friendly welcoming service making my regular stays comfortable and easy. Check ins with Cody and Ben are always a nice and easy start to a comfortable stay. Each day of my stay is kicked off with a great start in the club lounge with Darleen there to provide a friendly warm greeting and a terrific welcoming breakfast. At the end of the day back in the club lounge, Traci is always there to help wind the day down with terrific hospitality and service.

Stayed November 2012

Been to Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!