“Perfect for legoland but...” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
3rd Night Free/Breakfast
Ranked #16 of 35 Hotels in Carlsbad
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
“Perfect for legoland but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I'm agree with all, this is the hotel to stay if you go to Legoland, the private entrance to the park is amazing and it is a nice property! Pool, lanscaping, location and decoration is perfect. I stayed there in August 2012 with the family. But...

I was charged for Resort fee even in real all inclusive resort you don't have to pay those fees. At 300$ a night, increase you price and don't bug people with fees. I seems this practice is increasing in popularity, I hate that. I used my Starwood points to stay there and I used more points to get an upgraded room another hotel rip-off, I did not feel I got an upgrade and, finally I went to the Twenty restaurant for the breakfast and surprise, this is the first buffet (my overall rate on buffet is 1/5 even for a weekend day, quality, food, variety and price) where I have to pay for the not very good coffee 4$ and not fresh press orange juice 4$ in extra of the 17$ for the not very good buffet. The final bill was 83$ for a not very good breakfast (2 adults, 2 kids). Again, a breakfast buffet is include at least the coffee. I don't care to pay big bucks when is good and at the Sheraton Carlsbad, the breafast is not.

My advice to client, stay there for Legoland and keep your eyes peeled for extra fees, until the Hilton Grand vacation (Next door) open somewhere in 2013.

My advice to hotel manager, visit other Hotel chains to see what a real breakfast buffet like and what will be your final bill.

I stayed 53 nights for business in hotels last year and at 8 different hotels only during this trip with the family and unfortunatly I feel like a victim of a scam with this stay at Sheraton, this is my worst experience so far.

Room Tip: There is two building on the left side, ask to be on the first one at the highest floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
mlconner, Manager at Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Thank you for your post and choosing the Sheraton Carlsbad. I am sorry to learn that you felt that you were scammed. Those are not our attentions and want to be sure that all of our guests know about the charges up front. I see that you travel quite a bit for business you may be close to achieving the Platinum Status were you are able to earn additional benefits through your awards program. Some of the benefits are waived resort fee, continental breakfast for you and a guest. In addition a late check is offered when available at resort properties. I have shared your comments with our culinary team and will look into how we can enhance our buffet.
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Monterey Park, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

This facility is really nice and clean. The private entrance to LEGOLAND is awesome. The only knock with this place is the POOL - 1.) Pool is falsely advertised as heated pool. The pool is not heated as advertised. Son and I jumped into the pool at around 11:30am for only 10 mins and afterward he came down with a high fever 102+ for the next two days. We spent the rest of the trip inside the Hotel room...

Room Tip: If you not a big fan of HANDICAP ROOM then you must call in-advance to let them know. We were given...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
I am please to here that you enjoyed the Hotel. I am sorry to learn that you and your son were not feeling well. Our pool is heated to 78 degrees and is monitored to ensure that temperatures are kept as such. I look forward to having the opportunity to have the family back to enjoy all that the hotel has to offer.

Warm Regards,
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

My family and I spend at least one vacation week every year in the San Diego area. This was our first stay at the Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa. We had a fantastic experience at the resort. The roooms were very clean. The linen was high quality and very clean. The grounds were manicured impeccably and the pool area was quite and nice. The fitness center had high quality machinery and free weights. We would not only recommend the resort, we will stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa as your destination while in San Diego. We hope that we can make that a tradition. We look forward to having another opportunity to spoil you and your family.
Cheers
Salt Lake City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I literally agonized for days over which hotel to stay at in Carlsbad. It was between 2 Hiltons which were beach front, the Hyatt Place and the Sheraton. I finally chose the Sheraton only for the reason that it had direct access to Legoland, the rooms were a bit larger, and the pool area looked bigger. I believe I made a good decision, although had I been traveling without my son and without intentions to visit Legoland, I would have picked the Hilton.
The scoop: The room was immaculate. It was sooo clean, so nice and so spacious. I opted for 2 queens with a coastal view. As you can see from the pics, there really is no coastal view. If you stay here, don't waste your money on this. Every coastal view room is farthest from the lobby/pool/spa, plus these rooms really overlook the parking lot, AND a massive construction site: They are building a Hilton Grand Vacation Club right in front of the Sheraton, which is unfortunate for this property. On the bright side, I wasn't really able to hear any construction noise unless the balcony door was open. I didn't use the balcony because it was very small, and of course the sun sets in the west so in the evening the sun will be directly in your eyes. Another negative: there is no bar service at the pool. If you would like a cocktail, you will need to either go into the lobby bar and bring it to the pool yourself, OR call on this hotel phone, in which case they will bring you whatever you want. However, this is basically room service, so there is a quite sizable up-charge.
To be fair, on weekends there is a tent set up. They sell cookies, chips, beer and wine, I believe. After 5:00pm, I think they do a BBQ, so at least you have this nice option...but only on the weekends.
The pool is very warm and the jacuzzi is huge. There are plenty of chairs and umbrellas, so no need to worry about getting up early to "reserve" your spot. Also, the gym is wonderful. They only have 3 treadmills. You'll need to get up pretty early before they are all taken.
The staff is really amazing, aside from a minor concierge (and then general manager) incident. It's a long story, but it was just a lack of knowledge and customer service skills that unfortunately snowballed. Long story short: You will be better off googling information or just making some phone calls yourself. No biggie though. Other than that, every single staff member, I felt, went above and beyond the call of duty. They are really wonderful.
Summary, if you have kids and are going to legoland, stay here for sure and don't waste your cash on the coastal rooms.
If you will not be traveling with kids, I'd stay at the Hilton.
Last, before you book, check out the Starwood Hotels website, plus all the other 3rd party websites for the best deal. I found that going through the Starwood Hotel website was the least expensive, as they offered a variety of rates, which included of course AAA, and a Mastercard rate which is what I found to be the best rate.
It's a very nice hotel. I can't imagine anyone being too disappointed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience with our followers, it sound like you got to enjoy the many of the amenities that the hotel has to offer. As you stated we are not right on the beach but what amazing sunset we have from your balconies. Some of the best sunset that I have experienced! In addition we have a shuttle that will take you and pick up at the beach so you don’t have and find parking or lug all your beach gear across the street. We have a BBQ every Saturday and Sunday June- August and every Saturday in September. Don’t forget the Dive in movie by the pool. Fun for the whole family!
All the Best,
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We live locally in Carlsbad and went to dinner at Twenty/20 with our daughters. We had a great evening. We watched the sun set while having appetizers and beverages while the kids ate dinner. Kambria is an amazing server. She is attentive and fun! We shared lots of laughs and had a wonderful evening.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
We love Kabria too! Thank you for your local support it means a lot to the team. Don’t forget Restaurant Week starts 9-16-12. Chef Robert Carr has an amazing menu for us this week. YUMM!
Half Moon Bay, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I stayed here with my kids on a recent trip to Legoland. It is beyond a shadow of a doubt the best hotel to stay when going to LL. I felt like such a rock star, just walking to the back of the property, opening a gate and walking to the hotel. I didn't need a car for 2 days. The staff is well trained to make guests comfortable and happy. The restaurant staff was able to accommodate a special dietary request which made a 6 year old girl very happy. The facility is fresh and clean; the room was very comfortable. Yes, there is a fee to park but there's also a fee at Legoland. You can't beat the convenience. Also, it's very common at nicer hotels for their to be parking fee. I would come back here in a second.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 2 which was a bit far from the main hotel yet it was quiet. Because I was trav...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Nothing but thanks to you and your family! Thank you for sharing your experience. Come back and see us soon!
St. George, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Right at the entrance to Legoland with its own private entrance. Very kid- friendly hotel with games, movie nights, nice sized pool and hot tub. Beds seemed new and nice. Very clean. Only down side was a parking fee.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
We have to agree! Best Spot! Thank you for posting about your stay.

Been to Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!