“A nice surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 35 Hotels in Carlsbad
Santa Monica, California
“A nice surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I had to stay at this hotel while I was in town for work. All that I know of Carlsbad, involves the beach and bars...so at first I was excited to have to stay in Carlsbad for the weekend. Unfortunately my company moved locations to Faraday Ave, which is about 4 miles inland from the beach down a long, winding road that seems to go on forever (especially when you were hoping to be staying at a beachfront hotel).

Luckily the hotel was just about a block from our Carlsbad location. There were a few restaurants walking distance and a convenience store, which was good enough to get me through the night.

As for the hotel. There is a restaurant that only seemed to be open at breakfast and no bar, but they do have a pool and jacuzzi, which would have been nice if I had only had a moment to make use of them. Parking was pretty easy earlier in the day, but became more difficult as the day wore on. I guess the lot isn't as big as it really needs to be.

The hotel was very clean, modern and mold free, which was a blessing for me because I have terrible mold allergies. The staff was friendly, although not all that helpful. That is to say, they were happy to help you, IF YOU ASKED THEM for something, but not as pro-active as they could have been. At the morning breakfast buffet, there were no plates and few utensils as well as the regular coffee (not decaf) being empty. I stood there looking for help and probably looking quite confused, while several employees passed me by doing this that and the other. I was just about to give up and go eat breakfast elsewhere, when I saw some workers come out with a new pot of coffee and refills on the empty items. Breakfast was a fiasco - the space was overly crowded and loaded with screaming children running everywhere. I assume this probably has to do with the hotel's proximity to the Lego Land adventure park.

The rooms were a really nice size, the furniture was clean. My room featured a kitchenette - If I had know that I would have stayed in and ate at home, as the local restaurants on that road were not all that great. Those restaurants also seem to close early on weekends, as after 7pm we could not find anything close by that was open.

I had a room at the back of the hotel, which was nice and quiet with a view of the hillside. It did face the pool/jacuzzi on the front side, but that was not too bad. I hardly saw anybody out there all weekend.

Overall, I would say this is a really nice place to stay, providing you are willing to eat breakfast someplace else. I don't know what it costs, because the price was paid by my employer, but I got good sleep on a comfy bed in a clean room. What more could you ask for on a work trip?

I would recommend to others in the area. Just note that it is full of families/children. Nothing romantic going on here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Geoff W, Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear LanieFire,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us. While we are just a few miles from the beach we do have a few restaurants and a convenience store in walking distance which is nice. I'm glad the commute to work was short and convenient. We have a great proximity to most businesses in Carlsbad, making us an ideal location for a business traveler such as yourself.

I'm glad you enjoyed the modern feel of the property. We recently renovated and are thrilled with the results. In the middle of summer our breakfast area does get crowded with everybody getting ready for a big day at the beach, zoo, or Legoland . We do our best to balance a fun atmosphere for the kids and a reserved atmosphere for our business travelers. During a few peak weeks in summer your recommendation of finding alternate breakfast location isn't bad, and we do have quite a few good Mom and Pop diners in Carlsbad.

Thank you for mentioning the cleanliness of the property, and room. We really are proud of our product and want it to stay looking great so we can provide the best stay possible for our guests.

Thanks again for sharing your experience, and please come back to visit if you are in the Carlsbad area.

Safe Travels,

GeoffW
Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We had been in Anaheim, to visit Disney, and had a day at Legoland planned. The hotel we originally checked into was... Well, let's just say, the only thing good about it was that it was close to Disney. I called around to find a hotel closer to Legoland for the last 2 nights of our trip (at 4 pm the day we needed a place, bc I had *had* it with the original hotel), and they not only got us in, we had a fabulous room, free dinner (I guess this is a sometimes thing that they do, because on night 2, they didn't make dinner), free breakfast that was hot and good, a clean, spacious pool and hottub, and blessed quiet. It was a tiny drive (5 min) from Legoland, plus a bunch of restaurants and the ocean. It was, literally, a trip saver. The front desk staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, and I really couldn't have asked for more.

• Stayed July 2014
Trent S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Starflyr3,

Wow! I am so pleased that we were able to save your trip! We are pleased that you were able to enjoy our Mon-Thurs social hour, breakfast, and great pool area. It is also great to hear that you found our spacious rooms fabulous and the location central to LegoLand and many restaurants. We aren't right in the middle of everything but that contributes to the quiet you experienced. Thank you for pointing that out!

Most of all, we are thrilled that you found our staff friendly and helpful. They really are our "difference makers" and we are pleased that they showed that during your stay. We will definitely share your comments with the whole staff.

We hope to see you on your next visit to Southern California and Carlsbad.

Paramus, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We've been staying at the Marriott Residence Inn Carlsbad every year for about 20 years. Every year our stay gets better and better. The comfortable beds, the brand new room renovations and the free breakfast along with weekday happy hour, makes this hotel our number one choice. I would recommend this property to anyone who loves comfort and unmatched service.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Geoff W, Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Kathleen K,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at our property. Thank you for pointing out that we consistently deliver a great product. We are very proud of our property, and I feel that it shows. Having stayed with us for so many years I was very happy to hear that you like the recent renovations, and thank you for mentioning our service. We love what we do and that translates to great guest service.

I am glad to be your number one choice of hotels in the area, that is a huge compliment.

We look forward to hosting you again next year, and the year after, and so on.

Cheers,

GeoffW
Assistant General Manager
Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I spent 10 days with my family of 4 here at this hotel in July. The July 4th holiday week is a busy one and the employees did everythong in thier power to make this an ultra positive experience. The free breakfast was hot and fresh, and the weekday evenings they served free dinner and drinks as well. I would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Trent S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
DonnieDM,

Thank you for spending 10 days with us and taking the time to let other travelers know about your positive experiences with us. Our breakfast and social hours are definitely great additions to an already great hotel.

July is indeed a busy time but we are pleased that our staff did everything to make it a positive experience. They are truly the difference makers. We will share your comments with them today!

We look forward to that return trip!

Warm regards,

Rancho Cordova, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We spent 5 days at the Residence Inn - Carlsbad in a one bedroon suite. The hotel and and our room was in really good condition and clean. We called ahead for a pack-n-play for our baby to sleep in and were happy to find it was complimentary with our room and delivered as promised. They have a nice breakfast in the morning that had plenty of choices. We usually didn't make it to breakfast until right when it closed at 9:30 but they still had everything you could think of. After 9:30 they still had plenty of fresh fruit available. Our housekeeper really did a great job to keep our room clean including stuff we had left behind in the sink that really shouldn't have been on her to clean, but was a very pleasant surprise at the end of long day in the themeparks. We had a lightbulb problem the first night in the bathroom, and before I could make a service request, housekeeping had it fixed and the had a follow-up call from the front desk to make sure the issue was resolved. We also appreciated that when we left a compliment at the front desk, management was actually receptive to pass along the feedback to the staff that earned the compliment.

This hotel has a nice quiet location set around office buildings, about 3 or 4 miles off I-5. It's close to Legoland, but not walking distance.

We were very pleased with our experience and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Trent S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
jjaudit,

Thank you for staying with us for 5 days! I am glad that you enjoyed the breakfast and our staff took care of you up to the end of our normal breakfast hours. Thank you for pointing out our quiet location. We are close (but no too close) to just about everything.

I am most pleased that our staff went above and beyond to make your stay great. From our housekeepers, to maintenance staff, to the guest service team, it sounds like they really made an impression. We love to share these stories with our staff as it reinforces what we believe. In addition to your comments to our manager on duty, I will certainly pass this review along as well! Thank you for that!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm Regards,

Erie, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

We came to Carlsbad and spent one day at the beach and then 2 days at Legoland. We stayed 4 nights at the Residence Inn. We had a 2 Bedroom / 2 Bath that my family (my husband and I and our 2 children) shared with my parents. My parents had 1 bedroom (with the King bed) and my husband and I had the other (with a Queen bed), and my 2 children slept on the pull-out sofa in the living room. The pull-out sofa was extremely uncomfortable. I would only suggest it for small children. The beds in the bedrooms were very comfortable. We had a full kitchen. We had maintenance issues with the ice maker and the remote for one of the TV's. All of our issues were fixed very promptly. We stayed Monday-Friday and every day there was a delicious breakfast provided. Sara in the kitchen was always very attentive and on top of filling items and did an excellent job. Alex at he front desk was very accommodating and helpful as well.

An additional plus at the hotel was that M-Thurs they do a "hospitality" hour which is basically a light dinner with complimentary beer and wine! After coming back from the beach and Legoland exhausted with 2 kids (age 4 and 7) it was wonderful to walk off the shuttle and pick up a glass of beer and have food ready to eat. We didn't have to think about where we would eat, fight with tired kids, or wait for their food to come. This was a HUGE added benefit.

The pool was quite warm, comfortable so, and the jacuzzi was very comfortable. There is also a half basketball court on premises.

We had an excellent stay at the Residence Inn Carlsbad and I would stay again the next time we are in town without hesitation.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Trent S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Shelley N,

Thank you for staying with us and writing such a glowing review! It is great that you found our two bedroom spacious for all 3 generations! I agree about the sofa beds being primarily for kids. While we buy a higher end version, they are limited by having to fold into a compact space. It is great to hear that the regular beds allowed you to get a good nights rest.

Thank you for also pointing out the rest of our amenities such as our pool and spa, sport court, and social hour. I am pleased that these additional amenities enhanced your stay.

Thank you for pointing out Alex, Sara, and our maintenance staff. While we we are pleased that you loved the rooms and facility, we know it is our people that make the difference. We love to hear when that happens!

We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in town.

Warm wishes,

El Paso, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

My family stayed here during our trip to Legoland, free breakfast and light dinner was a great help and the free shuttle to to the park was great. Staff went above and beyond when our vehicles' radiator hose busted. They shuttled me to the dealership to pick up the vehicle and made sure we were taken care of with everything we needed in our room. Thank you, Justine, Ryan, Parker and Sarah. We will definitely stay here again soon.

Nancy L,

Thank you for your recent review. I am glad that you enjoyed the hotel and amenities but I am most pleased that our staff went above and beyond to help your family in a time of need. Car trouble is no fun at any time but it can certainly add unneeded stress to a vacation. We love to find ways to make your stay memorable and I am proud that Sarah, Ryan, Justine, and Parker were able to accomplish that.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. While we love the opportunity to make your stay memorable...may it be uneventful with the car!

Safe travels,

Trent Selbrede

Been to Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad? Share your experiences!