“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 34 Hotels in Carlsbad
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I chose this hotel because of the in-room kitchen, but will stay here again because of the staff. Everyone including front desk staff, cleaning staff, kitchen personnel, and the manager recognized me and greeted me genuinely. After a week they knew my name, room number, and preferences.
I stayed for 5 weeks and the suite was large enough that I never felt claustrophobic. Everything was clean and new. The electronics were up to date (an iPod/iPhone alarm clock, charging dock near the front door, plenty of plugs at the desk, flat screen TVs). The last of the facility remodel was completed during my stay and never had an impact on my life it was so well organized. My only complaint is a preference: the bed was softer than I like.
I also liked the location: close enough that I could get to Trader Joes or Target when I needed to, but not located on busy streets. The beach was less than 10 minutes away and easy to get to.
Finally, the room rate was a bargain!

Room Tip: Rooms that face the center court (and pool) will be quieter in the early morning. Since this hotel i...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
GMSDMarriotts, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Kate J,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. A 5 week hotel stay is difficult but we are pleased that you did not feel claustrophobic. We are glad to hear that the amenities and brand new rooms helped you thrive. We are indeed "tucked away" but still close to everything.

Most of all, thank you for recognizing our staff. While we have great rooms and amenities, we know it is our people that make all of the difference.

We hope to see you again for an extended stay!

Trent Selbrede

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Glendale, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed in a one bedroom. The room was wonderful because of the recent remodel. Lots of plugs, for all your electronics. The Sofa, looks odd, but works great for sleeping and hanging out. If I was a business traveler, this would be great. The tub in the bath was the best, it was a big wide tub, then had the curtain that curved out, very roomy.

Cons, Internet was slow and they were under construction. The elevator was down one day and it was a long walk. My daughter could not climb stairs because of a health condition. If I knew the elevator was down I think I would have asked for a different room. Not a big deal.

As I have said in a few of my other reviews. I wish the Marriot Chain would get a better TV provider. There are not chanels for kids and I had my five year old. Disney or PBS was all I ask for. It only had Nick or Toon chanel and both those carry a lot of stuff not good for younger kids.

Room Tip: low floor, there are only two slow elevators one in front, and one in back.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
GMSDMarriotts, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
busy_mom_in_glendale,

Thank you for the review! by your screen name, we are pleased you found the time to share your feedback. I am glad you found our brand new rooms top notch and comfortable. A nice big tub certainly is great after a long day seeing the sights or LegoLand.

I am sorry that we were just wrapping up the finishing touches on our renovations including the elevator. It is all complete now and looks as awesome as the rooms.

I cant make any promises about changes yet, but I am looking into the TV channel issue. As a father of young ones myself, I agree with you on Disney or even Nick Jr.. Each hotel has different TV service depending on what is available (generally different than home) . I have already asked my vendor about our options. Thank you for pointing that out!

We hope you aren't too busy in Glendale to come back and see us again. Thank you again for the feedback. We love to hear it!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Over the years, we have stayed in many hotels in the Carlsbad area and this is now our preferred hotel. It is perfect for a family vacation, as there is a full kitchen and a separate bedroom for the parents. The rooms have recently been upgraded and look very nice. They also serve a complimentary breakfast which is better than most and also host a nightly reception with beer, wine, drinks for the kids, and different nightly appetizers. There is a pool and half court basketball area for the kids. The adults could join them or find comfortable seating area adjacent to the pool as they read or enjoy a program on a large plasma tv. Parking is free and convenient, and it is a short drive to Legoland and the shopping area. The fitness room features two nice treadmills, an elliptical, and free weights, but is very small and a little cramped. The elevator is a little slow and outdated, but isn't anything to complain about. Overall, this place more than suits our needs and will definitely be our preferred hotel in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
GMSDMarriotts, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
46JY,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are pleased that you enjoyed our newly remodeled spacious suites with full kitchens. It is great that you were able to take advantage of our complimentary breakfast and Monday-Thursday social hour. I am so glad to hear that you were able to enjoy our new outdoor space poolside with the 70" TV, fireplace and heaters. Thank you for the comments on the elevators. We are updating the look this week! Our fitness room is a bit small but we have warm southern California weather year round that is great for an outdoor run!

Thank you for pointing out to other travelers that we are just a short drive to destinations in Carlsbad.

We are thrilled that we are now your preferred hotel. We look forward to your next visit.

Port Talbot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Excellent in every way. Rooms and kitchen facilities superb. Still being refurbished but unobtrusive. Staff generally helpful and would certainly come here again if I'm this way. We made full use of all the available facilities and our only complaint, from my daughter, the gym was too small. Still better than most!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
GMSDMarriotts, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
jeanbe4,

Thank you for the review! We are thrilled that you enjoyed our brand new rooms with full kitchens. Our renovations are just wrapping up and we are pleased that they were hardly noticeable. Thank you for the feedback on the gym. We actually just made it a bit larger than it was but we understand it can be a bit busy at times.

Thank you again for the kind words. We hope that your travels bring you our way again soon.

Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is currently finishing up really nice upgrades to rooms and the outdoor area. I have been to Marriotts as they do upgrades and this one is certainly the best run , least intrusive, one. I have stayed at this hotel many times and the staff are all top notch representatives of Marriott. The hotel let us know our room was not ready as they were sold out the night before and I was attempting to check in very early(10AM) so they took my number and a half hour later they cleaned a room! Rooms are brand new, just redone, and spaceous. They make great use of every inch of the room. Legoland is a 3-4 minute drive and the hotel has a shuttle. Downtown Carlsbad is often overlooked but has great little shops, Mexican food and a good variety of restaurants. u would not go wrong picking this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
GMSDMarriotts, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Celling,

Thank you for the great review! As a top contributor with 145 reviews, we appreciate your eye for quality and detail. We just opened our brand new outdoor space and we are pleased that it was not overly intrusive while we did the work. Thank you for recognizing our staff for going above and beyond to get you checked in early. We will definitely share your comments with them!

Thank you for letting other travelers know that we are close to Legoland and downtown Carlsbad. Sometimes it is hard to tell on a map so it helps for future travelers to hear it from someone that has been here.

Please visit us again soon!

Roseville, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Just stayed here recently over St. Patrick's Day weekend. Here are my thoughts:

Pros: Convenient location to Legoland and the Wild Animal Park. Quite surrounding area. Beautiful rooms (I think they were just remodeled).

Cons: The proximity to Legoland fills this place with families with small kids. Breakfast room is packed and exploding with coughing, whining kids. Breakfast room is too small. Ventilation needs improvement...you can smell cooking eggs on the second floor.

Maybe there might be fewer kids during the week and things would be a little less crazy.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
GMSDMarriotts, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Tim H,

Thank you for the review. As a senior contributor with reviews in 21 cities, we recognize that you have an eye for detail. We are pleased that you enjoyed our new rooms and convenient location. We are family and business travel friendly and we appreciate all of our guests.

Thank you for the feedback on our breakfast space. During our renovation, we added additional seating and we are about to add even more with our heated outdoor space to enjoy our mild Carlsbad climate. This space will have more space, seating, and a 70" TV that will alleviate some of the pressure on our main dining area.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We just stayed this past weekend at this hotel. While it is still undergoing a major refurb...what has been done is beautiful. We were in one of the studio suites that had recently been re-done. Lovely. The sofa was comfortable as was the bed. It is really set up for the business traveller as there is a huge work desk by the window. We would have preferred a chair. But, what can you do? Everything was brand spanking new! I went to use the blowdryer and it was still all wrapped up!
I only have 2 minor complaints...the first is that there are no mixing bowls (at least in our room) which is odd as there was every other cooking accoutrement you could need. The second complaint is one I have in many of the Residence Inns...the area for breakfast/social hour is just way too small. Why they desing these properties like this is beyond me.
Other than that, this was close to everything we wanted and was very good value for money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
TheQueenVegas,

Thank you for the compliments and we are pleased that you appreciate the brand new look and feel! Our renovation efforts will be completed in the next 2 weeks.

Thank you for the feedback on the areas for improvement. There should be mixing bowls in your room. We will double check every room to make sure your suite is stocked for your next stay. The breakfast areas can be a challenge at Residence Inns because our spacious suites can attract a big crowd. The great news is that our new outdoor space will be equipped with additional seating and patio heaters to help enjoy our beautiful Carlsbad mornings! Did I mention the 70" TV?

Please come back and see us soon. We are confident that we have addressed your suggestions for improvement.

Warm regards,

Trent Selbrede

Been to Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad? Share your experiences!