“Recently Refurbed and Gorgeous!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Carlsbad
Naples, Florida
“Recently Refurbed and Gorgeous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We just stayed this past weekend at this hotel. While it is still undergoing a major refurb...what has been done is beautiful. We were in one of the studio suites that had recently been re-done. Lovely. The sofa was comfortable as was the bed. It is really set up for the business traveller as there is a huge work desk by the window. We would have preferred a chair. But, what can you do? Everything was brand spanking new! I went to use the blowdryer and it was still all wrapped up!
I only have 2 minor complaints...the first is that there are no mixing bowls (at least in our room) which is odd as there was every other cooking accoutrement you could need. The second complaint is one I have in many of the Residence Inns...the area for breakfast/social hour is just way too small. Why they desing these properties like this is beyond me.
Other than that, this was close to everything we wanted and was very good value for money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GMSDMarriotts, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
TheQueenVegas,

Thank you for the compliments and we are pleased that you appreciate the brand new look and feel! Our renovation efforts will be completed in the next 2 weeks.

Thank you for the feedback on the areas for improvement. There should be mixing bowls in your room. We will double check every room to make sure your suite is stocked for your next stay. The breakfast areas can be a challenge at Residence Inns because our spacious suites can attract a big crowd. The great news is that our new outdoor space will be equipped with additional seating and patio heaters to help enjoy our beautiful Carlsbad mornings! Did I mention the 70" TV?

Please come back and see us soon. We are confident that we have addressed your suggestions for improvement.

Trent Selbrede

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Oceanside, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed here once again and have never been disappointed. The staff there always take care of you so well. The hotel is in the middle of everything, the beach, Legoland, downtown San Diego and even Orange County. Even while they are doing remodeling, the hotel is perfect. Thank you again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
sdgrandparents,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are pleased that you are regular guests and we meet or exceed your expectations each time. Thank you for pointing out to other travelers that we are central to a number of attractions and destinations in Carlsbad, San Diego, and even Orange County. Sometimes it helps to hear that from a fellow traveler!

Our staff is what sets us apart from the competition. Thank you for recognizing them!

We look forward to your next visit and next great review!

san jose, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We(3 of us including a teenager) recently stayed in a Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad. It was perfect for a 1 night stop over on our way to UCSD. The room with a sofa bed and a small kitchenette was new and very clean and perfect for us. The room was next to the pool. The hotel was very clean and very friendly staff. The breakfast buffet was good and more than adequate.
We highly recommend this place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
italygreece,

Thank you for the positive comments regarding your stay with us. We realize what a compliment this is coming from a senior contributor with so many reviews in so many cities! We are pleased that you found your suite very clean and you noticed that we just wrapped up a complete renovation. It doesn't sound like you need our fully equipped kitchen but we are happy that you noticed the amenities offered.

Most of all, thank you for recognizing our friendly staff. They are the ones that make your stay memorable and we love to share your comments with them.

Thank you for the recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warmly,

Reston, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

The hotel itself is incredible--one of the few around with two bedroom suites. The morning breakfast buffet is excellent and the Monday through Thursday happy hour is an added bonus. Parking was a little difficult--but mostly due to the hotel renovation (we stayed in one of the renovated suites and they are worth the parking inconvenience). The staff is very kind and attentive--really going out of their way to make sure you have a great stay. The location is excellent--super close to the 5, 78 and 15 Freeways, practically walking distance to Legoland and basically a good base to tour anywhere in Southern, CA (we were able to go on day trips to Palm Springs and Malibu and be back in time for dinner!). The rooms and the entire hotel are super clean and well maintained. The pool is heated and the spa is great. While we were there, the gym was in a temporary space, but it was still nice with great equipment.

Room Tip: The two bedroom suites are awesome--they are literally like a condo, with a fireplace and full kitch...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
KellyGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for the wonderful review you shared on TripAdvisor. Our professional and friendly team is committed to making our guests' stay both enjoyable and comfortable. We value your feedback, and are grateful for the recognition you placed on our devoted staff and quality accommodations. If ever you're in the Carlsbad area again, we hope you'll come back and visit us!

Saskatchewan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We recently had a nice one-night stay at this hotel. We usually stay somewhere with an ocean view when in Calrsbad but for this one night we really just needed a quick stopover so opted to try this place out. The hotel was still under construction, which wasn't a big problem, but certainly every hallway in and out showed signs of work. The room itself was very nicely appointed as expected in a RI. Staff were terrific, from the very friendly young check in fellow, to the woman who later ensured we got a late checkout (we were running the marathon in the morning and wanted a shower before hitting the road). She pulled off a rather impressive feat: the power had just gone out on the whole block and she was on hold on her cell phone with the power company, she was trying to get a key card to work for two guys that were just checking in, and she was able to efficiently confirm that we could get a late checkout. All very smooth, despite the power issue, and she never gave the impresssion that she wasnt giving us, and the other guests, her full attention. People like that are gold in the hotel business.

So, no complaints. I'd give the place five stars, but in Carlsbad the one thing it doesn't have that earn 5 stars from me is an ocean view. They can't move the hotel, obviously (though if they did it would be my number one choice!). Anyhow, you won't go wrong with this choice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
On behalf of our entire team, I'd like to personally thank you for the kind review on TripAdvisor! We know you have a variety of hotels to choose from when staying in the Carlsbad area, and are excited you decided to stay with us. Whether you are traveling on business or pleasure, we look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Manhattan Beach, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We were attending the Silver Bay dog show in Del Mar with two very large dogs. Having stayed at Residence Inns before, we looked for another this trip. We whisked through check-in, our two bedroom suite was ready and waiting and staff couldn't have been more helpful getting us settled. The rooms were spotless, the beds seemed to be memory foam and quite comfortable. A get together in the common area proved a delightful way to meet other guests and we were able to enjoy a lovely buffet dinner served there. The kitchen in our suite was well stocked with everything we might need if we were cooking. We actually needed a few extra blankets as the nights were quite cool, a simple call to the operator and they magically appeared at our door. Speaking of magical, the fireplace in the living room was operated by a switch and a nice warm fire danced to life. A comment on Residence Inns in general might be that the rooms in some are quite a bit larger than others. The living room in this suite, given the number of people the suite would accommodate, was a bit small. That however, would not stop me from staying there again. The hotel is undergoing renovations, though evidence of work was kept to a minimum and it did not affect our stay in any way. Because this is a business area I worried there would not be any walking destination. Diagonally opposite the hotel is a very nice center with many restaurants available. A very nice long weekend. Thanks!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Greetings, and thank you for sharing a review on TripAdvisor! We're simply delighted to hear that your stay was comfortable and pleasant. Our team is dedicated to providing excellent service and quality accommodations. We're glad to know it shows. We invite you to come visit us again the next time you're in Carlsbad.

Moreno Valley, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This RI is nothing spectacular so they're a base rating for me is already a 3 stars to begin with. And because of that, it would not be difficult to raise the rating had the stay been pleasant. For that matter, it would also not be hard to drop the rating if the stay was unpleasant...

The staffs here were unfriendly and seemingly unwilling to help a guest esp. when comfort is concern. I will explain further why I rate this hotel a 1 star.
The front desk staffs are cold. No welcoming smiles here. No pleasantries. They do their job to check you in and that is it. Their voices and conversations were clipped, short and dismissal. Not a very good start! Mind you, when I checked in, it was not busy. There was no line so there is no excuse for that.
I booked a king size studio (4-5 weeks ahead) but was given queen size bed. I was not informed of this change upon check in either. When I called to notify front desk of this error, Mark informed me that they are fully booked that weekend and have no way to accommodate me for a King bed. 2 adults and a toddler would just be too cramped in a queen size bed. So again, I compromised; I asked Mark if he could send someone up so we can pull out the sofa bed. His response? It's late (10pm) and there is no housekeeping at this time to help me. I said, okay, we can do it ourselves but I need sheets and etc. Again, there's no housekeeping and he is alone at that time. Really? So, what are we suppose to do? His response? A short and passive "I'm sorry". At this point, I felt like I'm in a cheap motel! But I need to adjust my perspective otherwise, my weekend would be ruined. I actually felt helpless that night, we could have move to a different hotel but it's late and we have another Legoland trek the next day... so we settled and had a very restless and uncomfortable night.
Nice room layout as expected of all RI Marriott chain. The room appeared clean but there's a foul-sour odor emitting from the mini kitchen sink. The smell becomes very noticeable when you are washing dishes or by the sink. And it gets worst, when you open the bottom cabinet where trash can is sitting, and mind you, the trash can was empty.

Decent breakfast menu. However, the breakfast area, where the food is located is not situated to accommodate a crowd. And yes, it was very crowded that weekend we visited. There is a doorway at the end of where the food stand/table is located. So while you are getting your food, you'll need to move back and forth so people can come in (or out) while also, trying not to push on the other end where a line of people are moving forward to get their own food. Basically, you will need to maneuver around people on both ends. Poorly planned and designed.

The front desk staffs are cold. No welcoming smiles here. No pleasantries. They do their job to check you in and that is it. Voice and conversations ar clipped, short and dismissal. Not a very good start! Mind you, when I checked in, it was not busy. There was no line so there is no excuse for that.
I booked a king size studio (4-5 weeks ahead) but was given queen size bed. I was not informed of this change upon check in either. When I called to notify front desk of this error. Mark informed me that they are fully booked that weekend and have no way to accommodate me for a King bed. 2 adults and a toddler would just be too cramped in a queen size bed. So again, I compromised, I asked Mark if he could send someone up so we can pull out the sofa bed. His response? It's late (10pm) and there is no housekeeping at this time to help me. I said, okay, we can do it ourselves but I need sheets and etc. Again, there's no housekeeping and he is alone at that time. Really? So, what are we suppose to do? His response? A short and passive "I'm sorry". At this point, I felt like I'm in a cheap motel! But I need to adjust my perspective otherwise, my weekend would be ruined. I actually felt helpless that night, we could have move to a different hotel but it's late and we have another Legoland trek the next day... so we settled and had a very restless and uncomfortable night.

Decent breakfast menu. However, the breakfast area, where the food is located is not situated to accommodate a crowd. And yes, it was very crowded that weekend we visited. There is a doorway at the end of where the food stand/table is located. So while you are getting your food, you'll need to move back and forth so people can come in (or out) while also, trying not to push on the other end where a line of people are moving forward to get their own food. Basically, You will need to maneuver around people on both ends. Poorly planned and designed.

I apparently made a mistake in booking a state govt rate room but my ID shows that I'm a federal govt employee so they added 30 plus dollars more a night into my bill. Again, I take responsibility for that error. I honestly did not know there's two separate govt rates until that night. Looking back,I have stayed in other Marriott and Marriott chains and this was never pointed out to me. It was never an issue with this state vs federal rate. I thought bec it says govt rate, that is how it is. In fact, I recently stayed at Marriott Riverside and I booked for a state govt rate (bec there was no other option for fed govt rate). Because of the incident here in RI, I called Marriott Riverside prior to check-in; to confirm if this is ok and the front desk said “it’s the same govt rate, we will accept that". So, why couldn't RI-Carlsbad do this? I guess it is who handles the front desk and their disposition that day. To be honest with you, had the stay been pleasant, I would not mind paying more. But because our sleep was restless, and the bedroom was not what we reserved for, the rate was not worth it, let alone the added $.
I called Marriott customer care prior to writing this review.

RI was suppose to contact me regarding this complain within 24-48 hours. I guess I was giving them a chance to make it right. Well, it’s been almost a month since and yet no call back from the manager. I guess I will not be holding my breath on this one.

UPDATE: The manager of RI Carlsbad finally called me... She was apologetic but I could not hear any sincerity in her voice. Nothing good came out of that call, really. She was just as cold as her staffs. No wonder why. I forgot her name - I honestly just want to forget this whole experience. Chalk it off as a glitch but will not be staying here EVER again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
KellyGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Gabe,
First and foremost, I would like to thank you for sharing a review. Your comments are invaluable, and will help us to better service our guests in the future.

We were utterly disappointed to learn about the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We hope you'll accept our sincerest apologies, and take some comfort in knowing that the mishaps you described are not norms, but rather exceptions. Unfortunately, it seems that they all occurred simultaneously.

Rest assured that I have already shared your comments with our team, and we have revisited the service standards that make Marriott an exceptional brand. We are also working to further improve the breakfast area, taking into consideration peak hours so as to provide our guests with a more pleasant experience. We only hope you will give us a second chance the next time you are in the Carlsbad area. If you'll allow us the opportunity to gain back your loyalty, I invite you to contact me directly so that I may ensure your stay is a positive one.

Kelly Herrington

Been to Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad? Share your experiences!